The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breeders "trading" stock

Realistically, does this ever happen? I would like to get feedback as to whether breeders/riders ever consider trading as an option for young/green stock. Of course, this is assuming they like the horse being offered for trade.

I traded a weanling on a coming 3 year old Friesian mare once only because I knew I could sell the mare quickly and the buyer was dying to own the filly. It worked out great, but I doubt I would do it again. Only because I need to sell horses, not accumulate more. Every situation is different and it never hurts to ask...as long as you are being realistic and honest about what you have to trade and if its value is comparable.

I've traded riding/trained horses for youngstock in the past. All the same breed and done with breeders who had challenges getting their youngstock started under saddle and wanted to spend more time riding themselves. I prefer the starting/training process and find that I'm better able to juggle a few who are at that stage in their progression than those that are going well (are geldings so no option to breed) and need a regular job or should be out competing.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

I think if both parties have what the other one wants and the values are equal it could definitely work. I've been wondering if I should do this with one of my WB mares (trade for a 2-yo WB or large pony for one of the kids) but must admit, I'd be cautious if the person/farm was unknown to me. Perhaps these transactions are usually done by word-of-mouth because I've never seen any "for trade" ads. It's an interesting idea though.

equinenow has a "trade" option

Perhaps these transactions are usually done by word-of-mouth because I've never seen any "for trade" ads.

Mine always has been (word-of-mouth) and I've known both parties I've done this with very well, for years (oh and even years after the transactions we're all still very good friends ).
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

I have done it once. We had a breeder that wanted to send a mare to be bred to our stallion. The mare turned out to have repro problems/could not be bred. Hubby needed a polo pony and she had a nice filly that was already related to both her mare and her stallion. So...we traded a "close trade": a 3 YO filly by my stallion for a 2 YO filly by hers. She got the Boomer filly she wanted and hubby got a polo prospect that turned out to make a very good polo pony. For any of you that get The Horse Of The Delaware Valley: there is a photo contest in this month's edition and the second place winner is a pic of a polo pony running with all 4 feet off of the ground. That is the mare we got in trade!

equinenow.com has an advanced search option where you tick the box "trade" -you'll get hundreds of horses offered for trade, sometimes for hay, sometimes for another horse.

Checked out equinenow.com but noticed all the horses were AQHA or Arabians. Couldn't find any sport horse types like WB, WB x TB, TB or any discipline specific types ie. show hunter, jumper, dressage, eventing etc.

My bad! it's dreamhorse website that's got the "for trade" option!!!! advanced search tick warmbloods box and for trade to avoid those pesky AQHAs and A-Rabbbs. You can get pretty selective using advanced search - sometimes I'll get so picky I'm only looking at mares from particular verbands in a particular price range with "for trade"...Kirdantal, play with the boxes and options.

mareslave: Thx. I'll give it a try.

ha, another child hooked on smack! errr, I mean, you're welcome and have fun. tee hee

1 members found this post helpful.

Argh! ^^^dreamhorse.....

I traded a colt back to the stallion owner in exchange for a "rideable" broodmare that no longer worked for their program. This was a race breeding farm however.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?