The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ants in feed area - help!

Little tiny black ants have invaded the feed area of our tack room. They are not in the feed, supplements, treats. Nor do they seem to even know about them. They are not in the cabinets but they are constantly on the counters, in the sink, and the counters on either side of the sink. Any ideas on how to get rid of them without spraying something that would contaminate feed & supplements? I tried wiping the counters w soapy mix of ivory liquid but that only brought more ants. We have been here eight years and this the first time we've had this problem. Thanks

http://www.thefrugallife.com/ants.html

This link has lots of homemade nontoxic remedies to try.

I have always used the boric acid/ sugar water/ cotton ball method which would work for a while, but then I'd have to do it again. I think I probably had the mix too strong and was killing the carrier ants- rather than using the proper weak solution which eventually goes to the queen and kills the colony.

1 members found this post helpful.

We use little bait stations that they go into and take the product back to their home. They are sold in home improvement stores such as Lowes and Home Depot.

2 members found this post helpful.

We had this problem last summer. They got in the cat food, but the horse feed, supplements and all either didn't interest them or were too tightly sealed for them to get into, thank goodness! This stuff works like magic. I've used it in my home, too. The ants flock to it and carry it back to their nest. You just rip off a piece of the cardboard, or tin foil etc and place a dot on it, set it some where other animals can't get to it and let it work. It is pretty gross, there will be a huge line of ants all around the little dot but within a few days they are gone.

If you don't have other animals roaming around in the feed room...Ant Gel works wonders.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I've always had tremendous luck using baby powder. Sprinkle it around, wait for ants to die as they walk through it, then sweep/wipe the whole lot up. If I can identify the point of entry (e.g. a crack or hole) I will put baby powder right in it and that helps to keep them out. It (talc) is basically safe -- FDA has approved it for use in stabilizing food/meds and it's in cosmetics and flea/tick powders -- but there is some danger if it is inhaled in large quantities I think.

My home back in California was basically built on an ant hill, so keeping them out without poisoning the pets was a big deal. For keeping the outdoor ant population under control more generally I also found Grant's Ant Stakes to be effective. These have a metal container with a tiny hole for the ants to enter to retrieve the bait and take it back to the colony, and I never had any problems with toxicity and pets.

Thanks so much. You all have given me hope and so many solutions that I'm unsure which to try first! But whatever I now know I can get rid of the ants -- and safely!

I had great luck with Diatomaceous Earth. I just sprinkled it around the perimeter and it kept ants away. They sell it at all of the farm/garden/feed stores in our area.

Yes to the diatomaceous earth. that is if you can find it for sale somewhere.

Also Grants Ants traps are good also. Little metal round things with bait inside.

They are sugar or grease ants. I think yours are grease ants. They will go into the bait stations and eat and take it home to their mother, then they all die.

Default all natural remedy

Diatameacuous earth----put it everywhere and it will kill them and keep them away and all natural----try to get food grade

I got a 50# bag of diatamaceous earth at feed store for $20.

Quote Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
    We had this problem last summer. They got in the cat food, but the horse feed, supplements and all either didn't interest them or were too tightly sealed for them to get into, thank goodness! This stuff works like magic. I've used it in my home, too. The ants flock to it and carry it back to their nest. You just rip off a piece of the cardboard, or tin foil etc and place a dot on it, set it some where other animals can't get to it and let it work. It is pretty gross, there will be a huge line of ants all around the little dot but within a few days they are gone.
    I must be missing something here. What substance are you talking about?

Edited to say oh NOW I see the "this".