The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hit the Kennedy Center...free concerts/performances every evening inside. Pull up their website to see who'll be there.

Cruise Ship Dandy...really, you'll see the Georgetown area from the water.

If you drive, don't. The city is scum central for giving tickets (both speed and parking)...it's the only part of the government that actually works well.

If you go to the zoo, go to Adams Morgan...great Ethiopian food! Meskerem for prettier, Red Sea for more authentic...lots of fun either way.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

I've been there a few times (2 or 3) and I would recommend the zoo, the Holocaust, Air & Space, Natural History and Ford's Theater/House. Native American is cool for me, cuz I've always been kinda interested in that area so I like to see the artifacts. Spy museum is ok, if you don't mind payng to get in, and the botanical gardens are pretty.

Capitol City Brewing Company was a good restaurant for us, it was right near our hotel and they serve soft pretzels (fresh baked) instead of bread while we wait for our food. We ate there twice.

When we would see the monuments, my dad and I would go for a morning run to the mall, around the tidal basin, up the Lincoln steps etc. for a workout. It was cool to pass some of the lesser known smaller ones around there that are kind of hidden and forgotten. If you're not as active, when my school does trips, we go later at night and walk them. Both options avoid big crowds at the monuments and in the metro.
    Of the heart-aching, hard-working, hope-having, horse-loving and horse-less variety. We are a sad species indeed.

I love the Spy Museum... but then I'm kinda, sorta, associated with the business. But it does have a good mix of adult and kid friendly stuff so no one is ever bored. We The Pizza and Good Stuff Eatery in Eastern Market are both amazing if you're looking for something other than a sit-down restaurant. Definitely do the Capital tour if you can, you can walk-up and get your tickets. Just be sure to have NO food or drink with you, they'll make you throw it out. Also, swing by your congressman's office and pick up gallery passes - they are good for a year and you might get lucky and get to watch some debates on the House or Senate floor!
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

If you love art, don't limit yourself to the National Gallery. While they DO have spectacular works, also make sure to check out the Hirshhorn, which is a fantastic modern art museum. Depending on when you go, the Ai Weiwei exhibition that they have had on display might still be up. Also, the Phillips Collection is a small, privately owned museum with a great collection of impressionist paintings. Totally worth the drive up to DuPont Circle for that. Also, it only four-ish blocks away from Embassy Row, which is AWESOME!

And don't forget to eat. If you go to DC and don't savor the city's delightful culinary scene (and I don't just mean the fancy restaurants- great food trucks, cafes, bakeries, small ethnic restaurants) then you are a soulless individual.
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpWithPanache View Post
    I love the Spy Museum... but then I'm kinda, sorta, associated with the business.
    You're a spy!! Bail out, JumpWithPanache knows all our secrets!

Just kidding

I forgot about the Capitol tour, it is pretty good.
    Of the heart-aching, hard-working, hope-having, horse-loving and horse-less variety. We are a sad species indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by AbbieS View Post
    You're a spy!! Bail out, JumpWithPanache knows all our secrets!

Just kidding

I forgot about the Capitol tour, it is pretty good.
    LOL!!! You have no idea how many times my Mom quoted "Alias" and "James Bond" kind of stuff... seriously!?! Speaking of which, there's a sepcial Bond exhibit going on right now. Not sure how long it will be there, but it seems like it would be a lot of fun!
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JumpWithPanache View Post
    LOL!!! You have no idea how many times my Mom quoted "Alias" and "James Bond" kind of stuff... seriously!?! Speaking of which, there's a sepcial Bond exhibit going on right now. Not sure how long it will be there, but it seems like it would be a lot of fun!
    Hmm...good to know. I have a friend who would be way into that. Might be a good excuse to come into town! I've been missing it.

I would try to squeeze in Georgetown, walk along the Canal and hopefully the mules will be out pulling the Barge. Or of course you can always shop! There are some wonderful places to eat, if you like Italian Filomenas is a must!

Quote Originally Posted by Swale01 View Post
    I think one of the most overlooked but very cool things to see in DC is Ford's Theatre (where Lincoln was shot). You can walk across the street from there and see the home (now a museum) where he died.
    Totally agree! Ford's Theatre is small, oddly authentic compared to many restored historic buildings (and I'm from Philly, so I have plenty to compare it with), and the little museum in the basement (assuming it's still there, haven't been there in a few years) is very moving.

I enjoy wandering the National Gallery - I like art museums, and the fact that it's free instead of $20+ makes it EVEN BETTER.

Loiter. It brings handsome men in suits out thin air. Granted, they are Secret Service and they will kill you if you seem to be carrying a bomb, but it sure beats being rousted by surly, overweight moonlighting Philly cops.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

With just 2 days, I'd spend almost all of it on the Mall, and you'll still have to pick and choose which places to visit. It's bigger than it looks on TV, and even in person. The Capital is 1.2 miles from the Washington Monument, and almost 2 miles from the Capital to the Lincoln. Take public transportation from where you are staying, or waste much valuable time trying to find a parking space.

Start early/Early in the morning at the Capital at the head of the line for the first tour. You've seen it many times on TV, and after going through it, you will always have a different feeling about it each time you see it.

I like everything there. Study, and do what you find most interesting after leaving the capital, planned out ahead.

The Newseum, Holocaust Museum, the Postal Museum, the Library of Congress. The Jefferson Memorial is worth the effort it takes to get there.

The Air Force Memorial is moving, as is JKF's grave. I could wander around Arlington for a day. Love the Mall.
    Now I want to go....

I love DC and used to go regularly on business. You've gotten great suggestions, but I'll add one more - the rooftop bar at the former Hotel Washington, now W I believe, is a great spot to grab a cocktail, look out over the mall, and people watch.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Appreciate all the suggestions so far! I hadn't thought about obtaining passes to the Senate--just because I love Mr. Smith Goes to Washington so much, I might need to do that, even if watching the actual non-Jefferson-Smith-including Senate would probably drive me insane. (:
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Even if you can't sit in the galleries this trip, get your passes and keep them in a safe place! I get new passes every year
    Benjamin Franklin

You've gotten awesome suggestions! I second wearing comfortable shoes because you'll be walking a ton...and luckily, if you're in reasonable shape, much of the city is very, surprisingly walkable. May is usually pretty nice in terms of weather--the heat and humidity typically waits until June or some lucky years, July to really settle in. The restaurant suggestions have been good--also check out Yelp for more good local spots--this is a great food city for anything from lunch spots/food trucks, ethnic food (some really great Ethiopian restaurants up around U Street!) to super fancy restaurants, so you can find anything you're in the mood for.

I also second (third?) taking Metro--parking in this city is a giant pain in the ass no matter where you are, and pretty expensive during the work week too. Save yourself the hassle and potential parking tickets. One metro note--if you don't want to look like a tourist and annoy the hell out of commuters/native D.C.ers, stand to the RIGHT on metro escalators--the left hand side is for walking up.

2 members found this post helpful.

We definitely plan on using the Metro--we're probably driving there, but in any city that has a good transit system I'd much rather take advantage of it. I also feel like the stand right, walk/climb left is common freaking sense on escalators and moving walkways... nothing irritates me more than people parked and chatting and taking up the whole stair when I have someplace to go! Good to know DC enforces this. (;
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I also feel like the stand right, walk/climb left is common freaking sense on escalators and moving walkways... nothing irritates me more than people parked and chatting and taking up the whole stair when I have someplace to go!
    You'd be surprised....

I was heading home from work one night and encountered a small family of tourists. They were each standing in the middle of the escallator (Tenleytown, for locals who want a visual...for those not local, it's a long escallator but not like super scary-long), holding on to the railings with both hands. I was in the middle of a good book so I was standing to the right behind them reading instead of walking down. Towards the bottom, a guy came by me on the left, as appropriate. When he got to the tourist family, he politely said "excuse me" to them and asked them to move to the right so he could pass. The mother turned around (while still holding on to the railings) and ripped the poor guy a new one because he was - and I quote - "endangering their safetly by asking them to move over." WTF. In all my years of riding Metro, I've never seen a sober person just spontaneously fall down an escallator from a stand still. Walk and trip, absolutely, but I'm pretty sure it's safe to not have a death grip on both railings.

The family later held up one of the ticket lines while each family member posed in front of the ticket machine for a picture with their newly purchased fair card.

Please don't be that tourist
    Last edited by Indy; Apr. 3, 2013 at 03:11 PM.

^^^^^
    The only reason I'm glad to be stuck in the house during cherry blossom season. Brings to mind that age old question "If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?"