The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Antares, ADT, Aramas, Edgewood (dont have a Hermes, but hear they are lovely). Hadfields are lovely, but are a not as "soft" leather (thicker/sturdier in my opinion)

I wouldnt waste $20 on a Vespucci. Absolute horrible quality control and leather is very hit/miss on quality.

A bridle I bought a couple of year's ago came with a warning to rarely oil as it would cause the leather to break down, yet on this thread lots of advice to oil and break it in. I used to oil whenever but now and am very leary of oiling. So what gives?

Quote Originally Posted by bizbachfan View Post
    A bridle I bought a couple of year's ago came with a warning to rarely oil as it would cause the leather to break down, yet on this thread lots of advice to oil and break it in. I used to oil whenever but now and am very leary of oiling. So what gives?
    From my personal experience with leather goods you have to know how to treat your leather. Wipe off the sweat with a damp rag after riding as much as possible. Dried sweat drys out the leather.

Oiling is okay especially when the tack is new, but saying that it depends on the feel of the leather. The tag is right, don't over oil it. My CWD saddle has never been oiled, it didn't need to be. I do condition it but mostly wipe it down with a sheepskin cloth.

I have tack that is 40 years old and in great condition and I think because I know when it needs to be cleaned, oiled, conditioned, just wiped down with a damp cloth or a sheepskin. You can tell by the look and feel of it what it needs.

Even equipment I am not using I check to see if it needs a wipe down or conditioning etc.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

1 members found this post helpful.

Alot of the bridles mentioned are all variations of Wickett & Craig leather. Depending on where the leather is from, it will have a different feel. I think the french Antares leather is the nicest I've seen.

Another vote for ADT. I have the Imperial figure 8 bridle and it is beautiful.. very soft right away. Their customer service, is wonderful, too.

Love my Aramas, but I'm sure there are softer out there. This is just the softest I've been exposed too. Oh, and my trainer has some Edgewood reins that are to die for. Love them!

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    In my tack room I have various bridles

Arc de Triump, Stubben, Keiffer, Vespucci, Pessoa, Bobbys, Dover, Edgwood, and leather straps that are so old I don't know what brand.

My favorite has been the Stubben with the Edgewood a close second.

The Stubben has been a beautiful deep red/brown for over 10 years. Now at 14 years old it does look like the rest of them just a dark brown but still soft and beautiful. I showed in it last month.
    Ugh. I deal with a variety of Stubbens on a regular basis and I CANNOT stand them. They are all very stiff. I feel similarly about the Stubben saddles I come into contact with regularly...except for the new Porthos and Zaria in the barn. They are much nicer. While the Stubbens last forever, I just can't nominate them for softest.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

ADT's are super soft almost too soft for my taste. I like a little substance! Antares are definitely lovely but I agree about the older versions-definitely preferred over the new styles.

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Love my Aramas, but I'm sure there are softer out there. This is just the softest I've been exposed too. Oh, and my trainer has some Edgewood reins that are to die for. Love them!

Ugh. I deal with a variety of Stubbens on a regular basis and I CANNOT stand them. They are all very stiff. I feel similarly about the Stubben saddles I come into contact with regularly...except for the new Porthos and Zaria in the barn. They are much nicer. While the Stubbens last forever, I just can't nominate them for softest.
    Mine might be soft because it is an older one. I have heard from people that the newer ones are not as nice.

Not a fan of their saddles.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I agree with squish about Hadfields bridles. They are my bridle of choice precisely because I don't like the super soft "floppy" bridles. Great leather, but sturdier than some of the newer French bridles.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I have a Rodrigo Pessoa Figure Eight Bridle and I love it! It was stiff at first, but I clean my tack at least 3 times a week, so it softened up after one or two conditionings.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/rodrigo...dle/p/X1-1299/

My Dy'on figure-8 has been buttery soft since I got it, and has held up very well for the two years that I have had it. It's gorgeous too

Of my bridles, the softest are hermes and ADT.
    My stubben and courbette bridles as not as soft as the others.

I love my traditional hunt bridle from HDR of all places. I also really like my $45 Premier bridle from Schneiders. Both of them look and feel considerably more expensive than they are. I routinely get compliments on both. I abuse them both, but they consistently clean up nicely. I conditioned each one with mink oil initially and continue to do so a few times a year, but mosly I just wipe them down with a damp rag a couple times a month. I'm not terribly meticulous about it.

Default Five Star Tack

I have had many of the brands mentioned above, and like many of them very much. However, I have to plug Five Star Tack bridles. I bought one about two years ago (the Wembley), and I absolutely love it. The leather is amazing, and the stitching is very distinctive. I am a complete fan of this brand, and will probably be looking to get another one sometime soon!

Here is the lick to the site:

http://www.fivestartack.com/

Good luck in your search!!
    Proud Member of Team Barbaro!!!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    In my tack room I have various bridles

Arc de Triump, Stubben, Keiffer, Vespucci, Pessoa, Bobbys, Dover, Edgwood, and leather straps that are so old I don't know what brand.

My favorite has been the Stubben with the Edgewood a close second.

The Stubben has been a beautiful deep red/brown for over 10 years. Now at 14 years old it does look like the rest of them just a dark brown but still soft and beautiful. I showed in it last month.

I was just oiling my new Vespucci and a leather worker friend of mine taught me a trick years ago to making leather as soft as possible right from the start.. when you first get it, soap it to get the wax off. Then take a plastic bag and lay out your bridle pieces. Get a small rag and some 100% neatsfoot oil. Apply the oil and with your hands (you can use rubber gloves if you don't want the oil on your hands) and work the oil in the leather, then start at one end of the strap and roll it in a U shape between your fingers and go all the way down each strap, inch by inch. Do both directions (sides).

I was doing this today and was thinking I should make a video especially because the bridle was new and it's really hard to explain it.

I have had people ask what I do to keep my bridles and reins so soft. I only have to oil them a few times and then just a daily wipe down with a damp cloth and when the leather is thirsty, you can oil it or use a conditioner.

I think good care of most any bridle can make it pretty nice.

I second the St├╝bben! They're fantastic. I have two that are about 15yrs old, both I use for schooling, but they are in mint condition. No marks, incredibly soft. I love them. If you can find older ones; go for it. Can't say anything about the newer ones though, as I don't have any.
    Watermark aka "Cleo" - 5 year old Warmblood cross
    Foxtrot aka "Raven" - 5 year old Hanoverian
    Simon Says aka "Sprout" - 4 year old Welsh pony
    Canadian Eh

I have both Aramas and Edgewood. Considering the price difference I think the "feel" of the leather is pretty darn similar. I have been really pleased with the Aramas. I have the Stockholm Model and it is super soft. I do think that it could almost be seen as "too" soft but considering the amount of use it gets I am not concerned. I don't see myself splurging on an Edgewood again anytime soon - they do last forever though!
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP