The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eventing Leavenworth/Lansing/KCMO/Bonner/KCK

I am looking for a place to do eventing decently close to where I am out by the Legends in KCK. I've been riding hunters and I absolutely adore my instructor, but it really just doesn't "do it" for me... my mind is set on eventing. I have been riding for 18 years, mainly hunters with light dressage training. I do not own a horse so I am looking for an instructor who would have a horse I could ride. I live near Lansing/Bonner/Leavenworth and would make the trip to KCMO. I've been recommended Jamie Hill but haven't heard back so are there any other suggestions for my area? I've considered Julie Wolfert (can someone PM me her number, I can only find on facebook) who I've heard good things about but it's a bit far for me to drive. With Longview Horse Park decently close and White Fox Manor I would think there has to be someone using the cross country schoolings that does lessons!

Also on a side note would you suggest a separate dressage and jumping instructor? I don't know if I have the $ to do two lessons a week (one with each) but there is a good dressage barn that I know of if that is how most eventers do things.

Thirdly - what kind of equipment do I need for lessons? I would be starting from the bottom up. I have all my hunter stuff, but is there anything I should invest in? Should I get a vest for lessons even though I'm not planning to show right away? Can I just wear the helmet I have now (it's a hard plastic one)?

Thanks for any help.

I can't answer the area specific info, but WELCOME to the dark side!!!

The best thing about eventing after c/x, is that it doesn't matter nearly as much as hunters what you wear. It doesn't matter for lessons at all, except what the instructor requires. Your helmet(!) will be fine. You might need a vest for jumping/cx lessons. But the really expensive things like tack will be fine.

The season is just gearing up, so I suggest finding a barn with some eventers, make friends, go to some HT to watch. Offer to groom for one--it's a lot easier than reading the rule book. Then once you have some of the basics you can wade into the rule book (see useventing.com). There is also a getting started section on that website. Just take your time until you are ready to compete, so you don't max out your wallet.

I think money is best spent on dressage/cx lessons at this point. Dressage for me was the hardest change from hunterland.

PKN

I'm going to Mill Creek Pony Club H.T. at Longview Horse Park in May to get a feel for things and hopefully meet some people. Thanks for the tips!

PM Badger on this board. Although she has now relocated to Aiken, she spent many years in that area, eventing and foxhunting.

I do not know the geography well, but there are two USEA Affiliates in Kansas

http://www.useventing.com/about/affiliate

Kansas Dressage & Eventing Assn.
    Affliate Contact: John Clarke
    222 S. Hillsdale Dr
    Wichita , KS 67230
    316 258 3318
    areaivchair2010@yahoo.com
    http://Kdea.org

Mid America CTA
    Affliate Contact: Beth Stoker
    2401 W 25th Apt. 2B3
    Lawrence , KS 66047
    785 291 3287
    stokerbeth@hotmail.com
    http://macta.info

Either of them should be able to get you started on where to look.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by pheasantknoll View Post
    ... the rule book (see useventing.com).
    Plese go to http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2013/13-EV.pdf for the rules. The version on useventing.com does not reflect the latest rule changes- there have been quite a few since the print version was produced.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by rockonxox View Post
    Thirdly - what kind of equipment do I need for lessons? I would be starting from the bottom up. I have all my hunter stuff, but is there anything I should invest in? Should I get a vest for lessons even though I'm not planning to show right away? Can I just wear the helmet I have now (it's a hard plastic one)?
    You helmet will be fine.

Depending on your instructor, you might need to get a vest for cross country schooling.

To start with, I would work with one instructor, who can balance the phases.
    Janet

Badger had messaged me some names previously but unfortunately the instructors are all requiring you to have a horse... which I don't and can't afford at this time. I'm getting a bit discouraged but I'm sure I will find someone. Maybe at the show I'll make some connections. I have emailed both the individuals listed above and hope they can point me in the right direction. Thanks everyone!

I have sent you a PM!

MACTA has monthly events at Heritage Park at 162nd and Pflum in Overland Park. I like it a bit better than Longview. I take lessons from Carlie Beisel at Settlers Acres in Greenwood MO which is on the other side of Lee's Summit. I am very beginner novice after coming off of 14 years of trail riding. I live in Olathe but board near Stillwell.

rockonxox,
    MACTA is your local KC USEA Affiliate - KDEA is based down in Wichita although there's a healthy cooperation between the two. MCPC will be holding open XC schoolings at Longview Horse Park this Sunday (21st) and both days next weekend. You might want to come visit as a lot of the local eventers will be there ahead of the actual event in May. If so I may see you there!
    Brock
    Brock n. (Anglo-Saxon) badger as in Brockenhurst, Brocklebank etc www.area35.us

I wasn't able to do this weekend but will definitely try to head up there next weekend. I am also going to attend the MCPC show next month.