The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where to eat in St. Louis??

Will be in St. Louis for 3 days in May. Restaurant recommendations, please! Thx.

I spent 9 years in The Lou. There is a surprisingly good restaurant scene. It just depends on what you like.

There are many, many options in the Central West End, some fancy, some not (Euclid Ave off Kingshighway). The ethnic restaurants (mostly Asian but a few Middle Eastern) cluster along Grandview Ave. The Loop, on Delmar Blvd between Big Bend and Skinker, north of the Wash U campus, is where the college kids hang out. For pizza, check out Pi (said to be Obama's fave pizza outside of Chicago, FWIW)

My parents (who are not adventurous eaters by any stretch) LOVED going to the Schlafly Bottleworks when they visited....casual atmosphere, great food.

If you just want to clog your arteries with ginormous sundaes, Crown Candy Kitchen is your best bet. :-D

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

First, where are you saying (general area)? Coming by car, rail, or plane?
    I live two blocks from the Loop and there is a plethora of choices here alone. Depending on where you are in the metro area, I can give you suggestions that are close or further afield.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

Sidney Street CafĂ© – absolutely one of the best
    Charlie Gitto's – there are 3 locations now, food is always fabulous but the original on the hill has the classic St. Louis Hill Italian atmosphere
    Just went to Dressels in the Central West End for the first time this past weekend, great pub – must have the pretzel & grilled cheese!
    Love Schlafly’s as mentioned above, if you go do not miss trying the sticky toffee pudding!

Thanks; we are staying at Union Station downtown but have a car, so can go anywhere. Appreciate specific recommendations for great food; we know the general areas after 4 years of college visits but tend to eat at "Scape" over and over. Graduation weekend, finally!

Sidney Street is great for celebrating - make a reservation NOW. They book quickly. In the Loop, two new restaurants - Mission Taco Joint and Fork and Stix. Mission Taco is fantastic! DH and I ate there opening weekend and two words: Duck Tacos. Fork and Stix is a new favorite - off the beaten path of the Loop on Rosedale. Great Northern Thai food - get the pork belly. Gerard Craft's new restaurant in Clayton - Pasteria - has gotten tremendous reviews. Be prepared to wait there - they don't take reservations. Of course, there is also his restaurant, Niche, right next door for great French food. Home Wine Kitchen in Maplewood has a great Sunday brunch - make reservations if you can. Their menu changes weekly and they use a lot of local food vendors, so everything is really fresh. If it is a nice weekend, you might also consider Vin de Set on Chouteau. Their rooftop deck is to die for. Oh, head to 360 on top of the Hilton for amazing views as well. Pi has a location on Washington Ave now in downtown. Mango Peru downtown is fantastic as well - fantastic sangria. Of course hit Crown Candy in Old North St. Louis for milk shakes or malts.
    ReRiders Clique

If you're looking for a steak, Citizen Kane's in Kirkwood has the best I've ever eaten.

FYI -- I'm from Kansas and I know my beef.

I used to live there, but it was long ago. There were many ethnic restaurants back then. And italian section, a German section of town, etc. I loved all the ethnic restaurants and festivals.

And is Soulard market still there? My boyfriend and I bought great wild mushrooms and farm veggies there on Saturdays. There was a great break restaurant downtown, but I forget the name. It was on Euclid near the good stores. And of course the bier garden at Budweiser, downtown.

We also ate at some great health food restaurants downtown and in midtown.

"And is Soulard market still there?"

Yes, Soulard Market is alive and well. BTW, there is no beer garden at Budweiser anymore. You can still get a sample during the tour, but now that it is AB InBev, they are leaner than they used to be. The only "health food" restaurant that I know of that used to be on Euclid in the Central West End, not downtown, was with Golden Grocer, but it wasn't there the last time DH and I went to dinner in the CWE. Rooster at 11th and Locust has great breakfast, if you can get a table.
    ReRiders Clique

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

St. Louis has a very famous frozen custard place, doesn't it? We have what I've been told is a copycat of that place in Mississippi and I'm addicted to their concretes. I don't know the name, though, but if they do concretes like the places here, it's worth a special trip.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Ugh, there's a really great sushi place that I went to last time I was there...but I don't really remember where it is and I don't remember what it's called.

I was there for work, so staying near the convention center. I walked across a busy street from the Marriott, headed north (???) across a bridge or overpass (????????), and went down into this little trendyish restauranty area. It was in there somewhere. And it was GOOOOOOD.

Vague enough?
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    St. Louis has a very famous frozen custard place, doesn't it? We have what I've been told is a copycat of that place in Mississippi and I'm addicted to their concretes. I don't know the name, though, but if they do concretes like the places here, it's worth a special trip.
    The frozen custard place is Ted Drewe's. I've actually had the apple pie frozen custard for breakfast.

It's been awhile.. The Hill has many good Italian places.

I always enjoyed Constantine's. I can't remember exactly where it was.. Check the phone book. (And if you have any "attitude", check it at the door, Maria doesn't take any guff). She was always very welcoming and friendly to us, but we saw her put one lady firmly in her place when the lady was less than civil to her..