The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Gray or Not Gray? Z's Colt

What say you, color gurus? By Tapit out of Zenyatta.

http://www.zenyatta.com/news/zenyatt...l-born-april-1

I don't see light hairs around the eyes, which is what the owner of my (gray) colt's sire told me to always look for as the giveaway on a newborn foal. But his muzzle does seem frosted below the blaze.

a lot easier to tell on the dark foals very early on. The sheen kinda happens in a lot of foals. I don't see gray around the eyes, but sometimes that does not happen til they shed out their first baby fuzz...so for now does not look gray. After first shedding will know for sure.

His muzzle looks like he would gray out to me but can't tell yet for sure.

1 members found this post helpful.

It's a bit hard to tell at this point - I've only seen 1 other picture of the foal and even that one doesn't show enough of the right things to take a guess. The color does look saturated enough to warrant gray, but it's too hard for me to guess just based on these 2 pics.

I had one two years ago that showed no signs of gray until he was a yearling! Dam was gray, sire black and white, he was born a deep, rich black. No gray around the eyes or muzzle. At a year, he developed a few gray hairs around the sworl on his forehead, and a few frosty hairs on his body - you had to look hard to find them. He's two now, and showing a few more frosty hairs on his sides and a few more gray hairs on the forehead - he looks rabicano, and his tail is getting some gray in it, but until you really look, he just looks black. Some of the grays are tricky!

The eye rims are pink..so I say chestnut lol, but sometimes all they need is one or two white hairs on the lid when they are grey, so...stays chestnut and/or turns grey.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    I had one two years ago that showed no signs of gray until he was a yearling! Dam was gray, sire black and white, he was born a deep, rich black.
    That was a very big sign he'd be gray LOL

I say gray. His muzzle is my indicator.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Chestnut, he's got pink skin, not dark. His muzzle is lighter but it's pink. My guess.
    Kerri

The pink eye rims as a neonate tell me he's chestnut and won't gray.

Difficult pic to evaluate but I'm also thinking gray based on the lighter hairs on his muzzle.

My mare was nearly identical to his coloring when she was a foal, pink skin base and all. She was completely greyed by age 9. Now she's a 19-yr old too fat, happy white marshmallow in my FIL's pasture. She taught me to look past the skin base coloring...
    but time WILL tell! LOL!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Exactly - skin coloring doesn't mean much, especially in the first couple of days.

You'll find out pretty soon... Tapits (especially the chestnuts!) tend to gray very quickly. I cared for one that had an entirely gray head by 3 wks...went roan, and very gray on his first shed at 8wks. Tapits go white quickly-- think Stardom Bound, and Hansen as solid white at 2.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Well I have another that was born shiny deep black too - and she's a true black. Most black foals are born looking almost "grulla", but I've had a few that were born black black and stayed that way. So it may be a sign, but not a guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    ditto. The ones that will turn gray look black at birth. The ones that will stay black have a silver/gray sheen at birth. Go figure!

Yes, there are some exceptions, but for the most part, it's true Some breeds don't follow this as a rule - Friesians are very often born dark black and don't gray, for example.

If what I think I see from the picture is eyes rimmed in pink, in my experience with two gray stallions, I believe he will stay Chestnut. When their eyes are dark rimmed and pretty all of mine turn gray. JMHO
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

The orange-pink eye rims (the hairless edge of the eye-lid) of neonate chestnuts turn dark within a day. Every foal that I've seen as a newborn that stayed chestnut had those orange-pink eye rims at birth. This has been true of chestnut foals with one or two gray parents as well as of chestnut foals with no gray parents. OTOH, foals born chestnut coats and eye rims that are already dark have always grayed out (and always had at least one gray parent). I've never seen a newborn chestnut foal with dark eye rims that was not a gray.

Black and bay neonates always have dark eye rims at birth whether they will gray out or not so the eye rim clue only works for chestnut base coats. (I don't know how dilution genes influence this so I can't comment on that.)

Has anyone here ever seen a chestnut that grayed out that was born with orange-pink eye rims? Or a chestnut that stayed chestnut that was born with black rimmed eyes? I'd be interested to know because it has been 100% reliable in my experience.

I doubt you'll find any staying-chestnut foals born with dark skin, but I'm fairly certain I've seen turning-gray chestnut foals born with pink skin.