The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does Anyone Else Have A CDL?

I started my first day of driver training for my Class B CDL today. It's a little overwhelming how much I have to learn in a week but so far so good!! Right now we've only done pre-trips and logs so far. If the weather isn't too nasty tomorrow (supposed to rain/snow) we'll get to drive!

Any other truck driving ladies around here? What do y'all do for work? I plan on driving a Vac Truck in the oil fields. I already have a job offer!!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I have a Class A CDL with Airbrakes and I know there is another lady truck driver on here. I don't drive a big rig every day, mostly crane trucks and backhoe trailers.
    Its not to hard, the hardest thing for me was remembering that the clutch in a big truck does not work like the clutch in a sportscar, you only need to push it in a little bit, and if you get really good you can shift without the clutch. However for my test I had to be able to double clutch (push the clutch in a little to take the truck/bus out of gear and then again to put it in). You should only need to push the clutch in all the way when you are starting from a stop.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Thanks for the tip. The truck we're driving in training is an automatic, but my BF who has a Class A has been helping me learn to drive the manual since I got my permit. The hardest part I have with shifting is the double-clutch. The good news is that both TJ and my instructor have said that I don't really have to double clutch once I'm out of training.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate

i hope to go to school for my cdl this summer. i hope never to have to rely on it for an income, but rather for towing a large rig for camping. i'd rather know more than i need to know for when we're on blm lands boonedocking with the horses in the next few years!

Dani the trick is to find the sweet spot in the trucks rpms. This is the spot that you can shift without the clutch. Most of the ones I have driven are somewhere between 1700 and 2000. For double clutching I would go a little above the sweet spot, clutch and pull the truck out of gear, then clutch and back into gear, you may have to bump the gas to get it back into gear.
    And yes, you don't have to double clutch after training, but it is a good skill to have and can help you especially if you have a lot of hils in your area it can work good for down shifting.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Totally off topic and not helpful at all but, I just have to say that you women make me feel proud. When I started in the transportation industry, it was extremely rare for women, around here at least, to have sales or management positions in the industry, much less drive anything that would have required a CDL. In my working lifetime, that all changed significantly and I was proud to be a part of it. Looks like I can continue to be proud of the progress the good women in the industry are making.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I dont have a CDL , but DH and my mom do. Everyone wants me to get one because I could drive for them yada yada yada. I am a farm girl and have drove big trucks and equipment like forever. Growing up on Grandpas farm he was blessed with lots of girl children and grandchildren, not so much boys. So grandpa took what he had and made it work. When all of his farmer buddies made fun of him for his mostly female work force, he would laugh at them and say ," If you only knew." Then grandpa would tell us girls privately that we handled the equipment better than the boys, because we didnt horse the engines, and we would drive in 2nd gear all day, slow sure and steady. We didnt break his equipment like the boys did, and we were more reliable. So at the end of the day grandpa never felt shorted for lack of boys. I have to say I feel the same because I think women make over the top, grade A, big truck and equipment drivers. Go for it, You are getting a big o'l root from me.

1 members found this post helpful.

I had a CDL for many years, but when I had to renew my license last year, they had changed the laws to require annual physicals, drug tests, yada, yada. So I just changed to a "normal" license. I had gotten the CDL in order to be able to drive a straight truck with horses, which I hadn't done in a long time, but I maintained it just in case, until they increased the jumping-through-hoops factor.

The one piece of advice I remember from the road test with a straight truck was to get out of the truck to check behind it when you were asked to park!

Don't have any advice, but my sister is a long haul truck driver. Perfect for her as it's the closest to being self employed without the financial risks. She works for a large company, so has good insurance. I couldn't stand traveling that much, but it suits her.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

It's nice to read all the replies. I do feel like kind of a badass in the truck

My instructor has been very encouraging and saying that he thinks I'll do great. I think my background with big pickups and trailers has definitely helped me some.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

My equine soulmate