The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pelleted bedding in trailer?

I always put shavings down over mats. Would pelleted bedding be good-less dusty? Easier to clean? Anyone use it this way?

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

You can do it, but you must wet them and get them "fluffed" otherwise the horse is on marbles in terms of footing. Think of it as a stall...but they are dusty when fluffed and dry, so if the footing flies, the dust is worse than shavings.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

1 members found this post helpful.

When I brought home my foundered mare in a do-or-die situation, I put 10 bags of pellets in my trailer, spraying down each layer with water to "fluff" them. It provided a soft-but-stable surface for her to stand on.

I actually prefer to use minimal bedding in my trailer, due to debris risk. When I do, yes, I use the pellets, and try to get them to a "half fluffed" point where they are half broken down, half pelleted. That way it's safe/comfortable for the horse to stand on, but I can get away with just one bag of pellets in my 2-horse, as the "unfluffed" pellets remaining in the mix soak up a ton of moisture.

I'm normally a minimalist re bedding in trailer. HOWEVER - recently the princess had colic surgery. (straight forward, no complexities, displacement, all is well) I went to bring her home - also an uneventful trip, but discovered that the inside of the trailer was reminding me of the BP Oil Spill. Maresy had been given quite a bit of oil in hospital, and much of it found its way out and onto the floor and wall of the trailer. (not to mention her butt).
    SO after a broom-and-Dawn dishsoap bath for trailer innards, I tossed a layer of pellets on the floor. They did a great job of absorbing the remaining oil.

I think it took three Dawn baths to get the darn oil out of the tail...
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

They are usually NEVER less dusty than shavings unless you really wet them down, and I would not want unsoaked pellets in my trailer anyway. In the trailer is the only place I can abide those big, flaky shavings--less dust.
    Click here before you buy.

Pellets would be more dusty not less. I would never use them in a trailer. Complications and stress from respiratory issues--usually caused by dust and the horse's inability to get their head lowered while in a trailer to cough and clear out their airways --is one of the biggest health risks of trailering a horse.

I very purposefully don't use anything at all on the floor.

My experience with bedding in trailers is that if it can blow around, it will. As a result I have a small store of straw, just for trailering. I find a flake or two goes a long way.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.