The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another Kitty Question

This is a question a friend asked me tonight. I told him what I would do, but all the time I was thinking, I need to get to the computer and ask COTHers.

His kitty has been licking/cleaning the backs of her legs so much that the fur has rubbed away. She was fine (she is a pretty highly strung little girl) but apparently ate some kitty treats or something else that he thinks caused the breakout bumps that appeared on the backs of her forelegs.

He took her to the vet, who prescribed a bad-tasting spray ointment for her legs. She does not like the spray so he wants to try applying the ointment with a Q-Tip. The vet also prescribed pills and a special food.

His question to me was, what would I do?

I said I would try applying the ointment with the Q-Tip. I would also seek a second opinion (wish I lived where I used to; I would go to my old vet; I would trust him 100% on this issue but alas! he is now too far away).

My friend's kitty HATES to travel to the vet. She gets very stressed out and screams. So I don't know that I would take her to a 2nd vet.

Any ideas/suggestions? The bumps have gone; now he is mostly concerned about the hair--having her stop licking so it can grow back.

More info needed?
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

If he wants a second opinion, find a vet that will travel to the house. I would personally be thinking there is a flea problem and the cat is having an allergic reaction to the flea bites (doesn't have to be a whole bunch of fleas to cause a huge problem). Make sure he's using GOOD flea protection and maybe put an e-collar on the cat to help the healing?

I had a neurotic cat who licked most of the hair off the back half of her body after a move..............vet said ocd, meds were not real succesful

1 members found this post helpful.

one of mine who is about 10 y.o. started licking his belly fur off about 6 months ago.
    Vet diagnosed / guessed allergies. Got 2 shots of anti biotics two weeks apart because tests indicated a bacterial infection, probably caused by the incessant licking. This did the trick but he started again a month or two after the 2nd shot. Another shot was given and he is now on very expensive hypo allergenic food.
    So far, so good.

Thanks, Everyone!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

They have plastic cones for cats, they look so disgraced wearing them, it's hilarious actually. But if the meds are doing the trick, and he wants to give the hair a chance to grow, ask about it.
    Of the heart-aching, hard-working, hope-having, horse-loving and horse-less variety. We are a sad species indeed.