The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Other than routine, my horse gets a monthly massage. He is a kind, willing fella who can take a joke (me).

I look at his monthly massage as insurance for my continued health because I would rather catch any soreness issues early rather than later. He gets a chiropractic adjustment once a year.
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

I don't think that spending a bunch of money on any preventative injections, etc is necessary. If your horse has arthritis or a known issue, injections can be great- but there's no use in throwing money away

I don't think Adequan ect as preventative maintenance is necessary but both my vets say it may very well help prevent the onset of DJD.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Quote Originally Posted by bM View Post
    I just moved my horse to a new barn recently and the amount of stuff everyone does to their horses makes me feel like mine isn't getting cared for well enough. JOKING!

But seriously; hock injections, other injections, chiropractor and so on. How do you justify this? I am not against any of this, and put a lot of thought/research into my horses care (very hands on and experienced horse boarder unlike some people that just drink the kool aid).

How do you tell when poopsie might benefit from a chiropractor? Hock injections?

My mare is 9, built a little crooked and jumps good sized sticks. No soundness issues, and she gets 1 scoop of Cosequin (original concentrated) AM and PM as a preventative. Should I be doing more to prevent?

I don't like burning money but my horse does get the best of everything. In this new environment I feel like I am not doing enough.

What kind of routine care does your horse get? How hard does your horse work?
    How do people justify this care? Often, when it comes to hock and other injections, the decision is made when the horse becomes "NQR" (not quite right). Sometimes hock or fetlock x-rays suggest that the horse needs injections, or differential diagnostics performed by a veterinarian indicate that the joint has problems. Veterinary medicine has advanced to the point that joint injections can make a horse feel comfortable. There's no reason to retire horses that are otherwise happy in work and are comfortable with maintenance injections. This is how people justify injections. Some horses might be hotter than yours, or prone to ulcers, or prone to colic, or prone to metabolic issues, etc. and that's why they receive the supplements and care that they get. Chiropractic and massage work can also be justified if the owner perceives a benefit. I, personally, benefit GREATLY from massage due to the nature of my work. OMG!!!! Horses who do repetitive work, especially under a rider who may be crooked or very sided, can develop the same muscle tension patterns. Horses who slip in the pasture can also get muscle strains, mares can get tight backs, and tense horses can make themselves tense (create lactic acid, etc) etc. I had my upper level mare massaged and she clearly a) loved it when it happened and b) was a lot looser afterwards. If I had the money, why wouldn't I want to have my horse massaged when the benefits are clear? I've never done the chiropractic route myself but I've had acupuncture. Again, if these modalities can help me, why wouldn't I want to perform them on my performance horse if I feel like the horse is tight or NQR or can be more comfortable? Or if I think it can prevent a problem? Developing a "feel" for a tense or NQR horse, and differential diagnoses by your veterinarian is what tells you when "poopsie" can be made more comfortable. At the end of the day, it's up to you to decide what to give your horse. But don't be upset that others are trying to help their horses. At worse, they're simply wasting money with no harm to the horse. At best, they're helping their horse with subtle condition or helping them feel better with massage or chiropractic work. Don't worry so much about what other people are doing. For your own horse, analyze the diet, look at his temperament, rely on your farrier and vet to detect something wrong, and if you detect something, tell your farrier and vet. As your horse ages with years of work under his belt, or advances in his work, you may find that some of these modalities work for you and your horse. Sorry for one long paragraph, I can't seem to make smaller paragraphs (i.e. functionally use the "enter" or "down arrow key") these days!!
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

It really depends on your horse. I had a mare who lived to 30, and the most she got was magnetic bell boots, BL solution and Fat Cat for year. She was navicular btw, was nerved at age 10 and at 24, had some regrowth. But she would still gallop all over with me, and never come up lame. She was backsore for about 2 weeks when her WHD inflamed.

But my current gelding? Gets the works. 22, ottb, used heavily, we "heavily show" (in, the schooling show circuit LOL!) and "heavily train" (ie, lots of pole trotting exercises.) He loves it, or I wouldnt do it. He gets reiki & custom flower essences, chiro/acupuncture/B12 shots, ice boots, BoT products, magnetic products, PentAussie every 6 weeks, and I do feed him a custom vit/min supp. But, as my husband states as he's buying the next BoT product for him, he's sunk thousanda of dollars, hours of traveling/watching our lessons, and educating himself in all thigs horse, and he would like to get as much longevity and use out of him as possible, and still have him around as a healthy pasture pet someday.

Ps: the "heavily" is with sarcasm, it's heavy for US, but nowhere near athlete. But that's ok, he's my learning stepping stone.

bM is offline Working Hunter
    Original Poster

I also wanted to add that I noticed a huge difference in my horse when I started using Cosequin. She wasn't noticeably stiff to begin with but I can definitely feel/see a difference since she's been on it.

I also like the Back On Track no-bows. I find they work best without liniment (as manufacturer suggests), but I see people use liniment with them all the time and wonder if they still work for them.