The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I wish the AECs used a "championship" dressage test

Random thought I had this morning (while loathing training test B and wishing the championships would for some reason use test A), that the championships should have their own dressage test. That way the test could be made more challenging and everybody is riding a test that is only used for championships. I think it would add to the fact that it is suppose to be a national championship of the top horses! Its not just another show using tests B/C. The test could change every 4 years like the rest and only be allowed at area or national championships.

What so you guys think?

1 members found this post helpful.

Having just had Mrs KS agonizing over changes to the Western Dressage tests, I think you underestimate the amount of time & preparation that judges have to put in before they even get to the show ring. A special test would also increase the possibility of error both by the rider and by the judge - so my vote is a firm NO.
    Brock
    Brock n. (Anglo-Saxon) badger as in Brockenhurst, Brocklebank etc www.area35.us

I like the thought... like the Training 3 day test being a bit different (and in theory tougher). But I understand the difficulties that this would entail... but it would be nice. It is kind of frustrating to have to keep riding the same test over and over... especially when it's one that you hate!

You would think it could be easy enough.

Just use the FEI tests for Prelim-Advanced.
    The T3D test for Training.
    A regular training test for Novice. (or is there a N3D test?)
    And a Novice test for BN.

no prep needed. BAM!

I agree Fleck.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

yea, I had to ride Novice B, which I HATE!!! So it would have been nice to ride anything but that, but that is me being selfish.

Default A championship dressage test?

Isn't that a little like saying that the finals of the Olympic 100 meter dash should be 110 meters long? You are in the finals because you are better than all but 12 other athletes. That's the idea behind championships.

tulkas

Quote Originally Posted by tulkas View Post
    Isn't that a little like saying that the finals of the Olympic 100 meter dash should be 110 meters long? You are in the finals because you are better than all but 12 other athletes. That's the idea behind championships.

tulkas
    No, I don't think so. At the Olympic finals they run their guts out more than any other race that year. They do step it up in what the challenge is for that sport (speed). Our sport is the three phases. The xc and sj are championship courses, but dressage is the same test we've done since June (or even ealier at big events). Just being a new test would be the challenge. I don't think it should include movements from a higher level.

I think it would help make the AECs more of a destination event (especially now the newness excitement of have a national championship is wearing off a bit or a lot). People would want to ride the championship test!

I agree, it would make things seem even more special and one should be ready to put in the added effort for AEC's.