The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

They could get a rainwater collection system. I have one (but I built my metal roof with one in mind), and it works great. I also have a well, but if I didn't, I could get water trucked in to fill the tank. So it is not like you are their only hope!
    friend of bar.ka

1 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like these people either thought it was very cheap, not realizing land generally has a price for a reason and lack of a good existing well was one there, or were completely clueless land buyers.
    Well, we did the same thing. I wouldn't say we were "clueless". Merely willing to play the odds. This property was not exactly cheap, either, but it is somewhat "landlocked" between our farm and the nearest neighbors. It's an odd parcel, for sure, but kind of nice, actually.

Maybe they want to meet to offer you an opportunity to expand to an 18 acre mini farm
    Maybe! We toyed with the idea of buying that parcel for YEARS and actually made an offer once--half of what the seller was asking at the time (the seller was delusional) and as it turns out 3 years later they going price was pretty close to what our offer had been. Still kicking ourselves a tiny bit. I do hope this nice couple with three little boys doesn't lose their collective shirt over such a thing. Still, I don't think we'd have it in us to go THAT far to help them out.
    Click here before you buy.

To the OP - NO, NADA, ZERO, DON'T DO IT.

This is one of the few times when it will NOT pay you to be "neighborly". This goes above & beyond neighborly, regardless of what documents & information they should bring you. You bought your property & did what you had to to make it livable. Unfortunately, they have to do the same thing. Without your piggyback well assistance. Do you really want this hanging over your head ad infinitum?? Water usage, what's happening with the well in general, dickering? I sure wouldn't. Your property & your water is just that. Yours.

Ethics don't even remotely come into this.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Well, we did the same thing. I wouldn't say we were "clueless". Merely willing to play the odds. This property was not exactly cheap, either, but it is somewhat "landlocked" between our farm and the nearest neighbors. It's an odd parcel, for sure, but kind of nice, actually.

Maybe! We toyed with the idea of buying that parcel for YEARS and actually made an offer once--half of what the seller was asking at the time (the seller was delusional) and as it turns out 3 years later they going price was pretty close to what our offer had been. Still kicking ourselves a tiny bit. I do hope this nice couple with three little boys doesn't lose their collective shirt over such a thing. Still, I don't think we'd have it in us to go THAT far to help them out.
    If you are still interested, offer to buy them out for a bit more than fair price, if they can't find a solution.
    They would not "lose their shirt" and could go look for suitable land somewhere else.

I don't think anyone that is buying raw land is someone that is in much need of real financial help.

6 members found this post helpful.

Good point, Bluey. Perspective.

Yes, snowfall does count for rainwater collection- it is after all precipitation. For everyone saying rainwater isn't good enough or could store enough, there are many ways to collect and store enough water to last a household for a full year on rainwater only, AND it can be made perfectly clean with just a little off-spouts and purification. I'm a rain-water collection system practitiner.
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

I'd tell them they can use it if they run a power line to the pump, pay for the electricity to run the pump for both your water and theirs, put a check valve on the line going their way, put in a new Grundfos constant pressure pump-so regardless of who is running whatever, the flow and pressure will be constant, and they become responsible for cost of replacing the pump if needed. If their demand becomes great enough that it causes your farm any problems, the contract becomes void, and you will rerun your own power to your well, and cut the line going their way.

If it was me, I'd offer to do the pump replacing when needed, but I have an easy way to do it-that I can share if needed.

This is a win/win situation. They don't have the initial high cost of digging a well, and you never again have any cost for water.

4 members found this post helpful.

When they come over for the 'little talk', and it mostly won't be little either, wait til they say what they want. However, it might not be the subject you think.

A friend and her hubby moved into a new neighborhood, and everybody was friendly. Including the nice couple next door that wanted them to host home sales parties for every possible home sale product, and the couple next to them that reminded them of their parents, and wanted them to join the swingers group (no not square dancing). You might think through a few possibilities (well rights, sell property to you since they were told you wanted it at one time, or sell something for them), and get answers ready. If it's the water, then it's something they should have put in the contract, and it's not your problem. Don't let someone else guilt you into a situation that could seriously bite you in the fanny later.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

No, they don't want us to go to a swinger party or do Tupperware! It was about the well--just talked to the husband, who is very very nice.

They were thinking of putting a new well, all their own, on our property, since the well guys are telling them we have a "lake" underneath our land! Unfortunately two things that I hadn't even thought about will not allow that to happen--the area just west of our well is full of geothermal coils and the area north (towards their land) is full of field tile that, when broken (we found this out as we built the place) causes ungodly amounts of water to erupt out of the ground. No way am I willing to compromise either of these structures!

However, I did suggest to them they try the owner of the other property, and they are not out of options on their own place, although each attempt is so expensive. (not my problem, I know) If worse came to worst and they came close to any other piece of our property but the big pasture where there's so much going on "underground" I would at least consider an easement for them to dig their own well, but for now they are still working on other options.

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    When they come over for the 'little talk', and it mostly won't be little either, wait til they say what they want. However, it might not be the subject you think.

A friend and her hubby moved into a new neighborhood, and everybody was friendly. Including the nice couple next door that wanted them to host home sales parties for every possible home sale product, and the couple next to them that reminded them of their parents, and wanted them to join the swingers group (no not square dancing). You might think through a few possibilities (well rights, sell property to you since they were told you wanted it at one time, or sell something for them), and get answers ready. If it's the water, then it's something they should have put in the contract, and it's not your problem. Don't let someone else guilt you into a situation that could seriously bite you in the fanny later.
    Did they move to Eerie?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Hmm, at least an easement's a little easier to deal with.
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

Weighing in on this late in the game but let me tell you how "sharing" works out sometimes...

Post divorce, prior to new marriage, DD & I lived in a rental house on 5 acres that was the gardeners house for the GIANT home 30 feet from our front door. Both homes were originally on a spring. Prior to the sale of the property wherein the big house and majority of the acreage was sold off and the little house retained, the owners had the big house switched over to a well that was actually dug on the 5 acres where our house was but the little house stayed on the spring. Complicated, I know, but follow me here...

One Saturday morning, I get up, water pressure is normal, we shower, etc. and leave for errands. I come home, NO water. Nada, zip, zilch. We are in the middle of a drought but we used VERY little water. Our neighbors who are on the well (that's located on our property) watered their lawn EVERY NIGHT, ALL NIGHT. These folks were new money and the wife a hammer witch about everything have to always look like Martha Stewart lived there (that's a whole 'nother story). Anyway - after some investigating, it turns out that ONE spigot on the back of the big house - the one my charming neighbors had been watering their lawns off of, was still on the spring - MY water source. They had used so much water in the middle of the drought that the pump foot was well above the water line. Too bad for me.

It would seem easiest for the charming neighbors to just let me tap into the well on my side of the property but they wouldn't hear of it even though my being without water was their fault - and they stipulated to that, though they were ignorant about using my water source. My landlord ended up digging a new well for the little house, which he should have. HOWEVER - the entire incident reminds me of how quickly things can go south when something costly yet necessary is as stake.

I wouldn't let anyone tap into my well. No way, no how. It would be one thing if my neighbor's well ran dry and they just needed to run a hose for a week or so until they got a new one - I'd do that in a heartbeat. It's one thing to be a good neighbor (mine weren't - they wouldn't let us run a hose from their house nor did they offer to let us take showers or anything), it's another to set up a relationship from the get go. And what happens if they sell? Or turn out to be water hogs? Or something happens with the well and they refuse to accept any financial responsibility to resolve water issues.

Too many red flags for me. Good luck to you whatever you choose to do. I think you must be a pretty nice person to even consider this, but I'm with your DH on this one.

I would say no to an easement also. The fact that you bought the land with the water, and they didn't is not your fault, and they have no right to expect that of you either. I agree with the poster who say it is their problem, and not to let it become yours either. I don't see any benefit to you if you let them use your land or water, but I see a lot of problems down the road if you do.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    I would say no to an easement also. The fact that you bought the land with the water, and they didn't is not your fault, and they have no right to expect that of you either. I agree with the poster who say it is their problem, and not to let it become yours either. I don't see any benefit to you if you let them use your land or water, but I see a lot of problems down the road if you do.
    Ditto in spades!!!! Easements are a pain in the a** - especially down the road when parties might want to sell. Regardless of the particulars, many buyers just see the word "easement" & head for the hills. Been there, done that. We looked at several properties that had "easements" for one reason or another, & were automatically not interested. Many of them allowed folks to drive right through the center of the property or other such stuff. We did make an exception for our current farm, where the dirt/gravel road is technically "owned" by our neighbor, but we have "ingress/egress" rights, obviously. And although we've told them repeatedly that we'd be more than willing to assist with maintaining said road, they've politely turned us down every time. Apparently they fear that legally, any maintenance subsistence by us would affect their ownership of the road. Whatever.

Regardless, unless an easement is strictly an ingress/egress situation, I would never put an easement like this on my property. You'll regret it down the road.

4 members found this post helpful.

Talking about rainwater collection - we had a 25,000 gallon tank that took all the water directly off the roof. We lived in a low rainfall area - 10" a year was a big deal. It supplied the needs of 4 people being careful, flushing the toilet, showers, laundry etc. We drank it with no ill effects.

One year we had a drought and pretty much emptied the tank, so decided to clean it out. There was a layer of debris in the bottom - old leaves - which the cleaner told us would be ok while the tank was full as long as it wasn't disturbed. The pump outlet was about a foot from the bottom of the tank.

Water is such a valuable commodity - we need to make the very best use of every drop.

Oh, and the stock had dams, also filled by rainwater. No wells out there. No trucks for 100 miles.

No ethical problem at all. Don't permanently share well or allow easement.

A hose for emergency no problem, I'd even supply the hose for my neighbor.

OP, most people are conditioned to help others, to say yes. Learning to say NO is often painful. You are a good person for wanting to help but don't do it
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

3 members found this post helpful.

Not knowing the lay of the land, is there a way to trade a few acres? They would get their well on what would then be their property and you wouldn't be out anything? No easements or other legal loopholes?

There is a patch of their property that would make a nice paddock, but unfortunately the "prime" well-drilling spot is smack in the center of my nicest, best pasture which is full of drain tiles and geothermal loops. The risks of drilling a new well there and destroying one of those underground structures is too high, and I don't want to give up any of my best grazing land. The fenced pasture is only a little over 6 acres total on our entire place, it's not like we have lots and lots.

delta you're a kind person. it's nice to see that you can protect your interests and still have some compassion and kindness for other people-not a common attribute judging from this thread, apparently!