The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

I can dowse to a small degree. I found out I had this "talent" back when I worked on a construction site for a small homebuilding company as a site supervisor. We needed to find a buried water line and another subscontractor got out the wires and tried it. I, for giggles, tried it and damned if I didn't find the water lines spot on. I'm talking eyes closed and doing nothing to move those wires...so weird. I have no idea how or why it works.

Later on here at our farm after we bought it in 2005 we had a similar issue once trying to locate buried water lines; and remembering this, I got out some wires and gave it a shot. My Stepfather, in his 70's, watched me locate the lines and his comment was that I am a "water witch." I'd never even heard the term. His background is in construction also and he said it's not uncommon to use dowsing to find water lines or wells were he came from.

I have not ever located wells but I can find buried water lines with astonishing accuracy. While I'm not sure I'm willing to believe anyone can locate water that far underground, when you are out of options, why not try it? I'm sure there are things that no one truly understands yet but there's way too much anecdotal evidence to totally laugh it off as complete nonsense.

2 members found this post helpful.

I was the one who suggested it (in jest) to the homeowner. It's his call, not mine. Our buddy Lance the Well Guy found ours with no voodoo, and since I have no personal experience either way I'm willing to accept his collection of anecdotal evidence, which led him to describe it as "BS". Perhaps that is professional skepticism, who knows?

http://www.tricksterbook.com/ArticlesOnline/Dowsing.htm

I want to see someone try it with a German sausage!

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=60054
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

You know, there is no explanation, but when you walk around with the two little limp wires and they come alive and dance in your hands and cross over and you dig there and a 80 year old water line is right there, you have to wonder what is going on.

6 members found this post helpful.

I agree with Bluey...I don't know how or why, but it sure is astonishing when those wires move. I've asked to be blindfolded doing it and it makes no difference. I guess I missed my calling!

Kind of like a Ouija board.

Here is something no one has mentioned: if they have no source for water other than shared well, it hurts THEIR property's value. I am an investor and have bought two foreclosed properties like this. They are considered uninhabitable. Uninhabitable properties do not qualify for a mortgage, so they could then only sell to cash buyers who are willing do install a well or water supply. THEY fo not want to be in that situation if they sell. What if they sell their house and you do not want to have an agreement with the new neighbors for what ever reason? You could shut off the water supply, and wham o, none of their potential buyers could get a mortgage. I did not know this until I saw how the banks got themselves into this situation (not on purpose, they were sloppy in writing mortgages without checking out the water supply).

Don't do it, you will be hurting their property value if they ever need to sell. Now I've given you a reason other than your own interests that should make you feel better.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    I agree with Bluey...I don't know how or why, but it sure is astonishing when those wires move. I've asked to be blindfolded doing it and it makes no difference. I guess I missed my calling!
    I always knew you and Bluey were two peas in a pod!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

A very good friend needed a well and we went looking for a spot.
    We found several, his wife and myself, the wires didn't work for him at all.
    A neighbor's farm hand drove by and stopped and we handed him the wires and they marked even more for him.
    Then the well man came and the wires also worked for him, but not at all for the young man helping him.

All of us used the same baling wire, held the same way.

That is one of those mysteries we have to wait for science to catch up with it.
    It probably is a very simple answer to it, from happenstance, maybe just the stars, many of them, lining just right that one time to each and every time have a hit and find what we were looking for there, that, as in the pipe and wire lines, could not have been any other place, to whatever any other scenario we may care to invent.

Here, no one charges for witching, you may get lunch out of it, but never accept money, it is just not done.

They hit water today.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    They hit water today.
    GLORY GLORY!!! Great for you all.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I always knew you and Bluey were two peas in a pod!
    Believe it or not, you're going to have to add me to the pod. It works for buried electrical lines too...anyone can do it...you just have to have someone show you how.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Hey!! That's great! I'm glad for them and for you to be off the hook!

We also have to think of a new name for our shared driveway now, since it will become a "road" instead of a "driveway" with another house . . . many horsey themes were come up with on my part, but I actually suggested to the new owners that we call it "Four Wells Road". They, having a nice sense of humor, are actually thinking about it!

Glad this worked out, DW!

But I have to share a dowsing story. We bought a property with buried electric lines, and nobody knows exactly where they are. When we had to do some construction, I called our local electric company to ID the line locations so we wouldn't hit them. I met them down by the barn, and they went to the back of the truck to get their equipment. No, not a magnetometer or volt reader or anything. They got out two bent copper wires. I started laughing so hard I couldn't stop. But it worked!

They were so bemused at my reaction that they taught me how to do it and gave me a set of wires. The problem is that it picks up everything: electric wires, water pipes, irrigation pipes, cable/ telephone lines.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Whatever happened to dowsing with a peeled willow fork?

I can sort of, maybe, believe that copper metal wires MIGHT react to something, but a Peeled Willow Fork? The first strains credibility; the second is just beyond my capacity.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

All three utilities here use devining rods to find underground services, have been told the rods are more accurate than the fancy equipment. As to water witching, I come from a long line of water witches - down Dad's side, the eldest female sibling and from Mom's side the eldest male. Neither parent could find water unless it came from a tap or the sky but one of my aunts was a great water finder and one of my uncles is solely responsible (according to local lore) for finding water on many ranch sites in a very dry area. I can also find water and I just use wire coat hangers, nothing fancy. Oddest I have seen is a man that lives just west of me and he uses a crowbar.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

So if I had such powers I would be knocking on James Randi's door in a heartbeat. I can think of a lot of uses for a million dollars. But if this thread is any indication I guess I'd have to share it with a LOT of people. A wonder the million is still unclaimed, people--get out there and grab it!

I just had Miss Dig out for a bit of a fence project and they marked our underground power lines with a voltmeter, aided by a map of where we all knew darn well the lines are. No bent wires here. But this is a God-fearing community.

Yep, we're pretty close to Salem MA, so alternative religious practices (and casual magic) are the norm.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Even if you should consider allowing your neighbor to tap in, you need to consult a lawyer as this involves Easement which is attached to the Deed. The question arises as to who pays the legal fees? All aspects of an agreement would have to be worked out and you need the lawyer to help with this and how it applies under the law of your country. I should add, about 10 years ago we had drought conditions and numerous wells went dry or provided very limited amounts of water. These people wound up having to rent big water tanks and hauling water. Their wells did recover after a few months.