The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default mower to handle both lawn and paddocks

Are there any mowers that can do a lawn and can handle paddocks and that will cut 1-6"? The majority of riding mowers are 1-4" which I know is too short for the paddocks.

I only have 2 acres, split about 50/50 between house/lawn and paddocks. Is there something that will cut both? Preferably with the ability to mulch and bag?

I killed my old Craftsman lawn tractor (snapped the deck off, no welding was going to help it)... I've been having a guy come in and do it, but honestly, that was one chore I enjoyed so I'm considering buying something, if I can find the proper machine.

Thanks....

Ferris zero turn. My husband and I fight over who gets to do the mowing. It is 3-4x faster than using our tractor with the brush hog, and does a great job on regular "grass" grass as well as the paddocks.

For mowing the paddocks I just keep the deck up in its "park" position, which gets the grass at about 6 inches. I don't think I've ever dropped it below 3" for the lawn areas, though--our property is not that smooth!
    Click here before you buy.

We have a Cub Cadet rider that I use for lawn and paddocks. Adjusts from 2 to 6 inches. It is a super heavy duty model, not the same as what you see at Home Depot (the Cub Cadets there have a lighter frame or something...SO did all the research so I don't remember the details). It is a workhorse. I do most of the mowing here, and I don't mind it at all as that thing does such a great job.

We do have a tractor and brush hog for the really out of control areas, but the CC does a much neater job and I prefer it for my paddocks. Much more maneuverable too, which is good here in the land of trees, hills, ditches, and rocks.

A zero turn would not work here with our uneven terrain, hills, and rough pasture. They are faster and do a fabulous job if you have the right type of place to use it.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I got an MTD YardMachine riding mower included in the deal when I bought the farm. 42" inch deck 17.5HP.
    It was not brand-new then and 9 years later it still does both lawns (about 2ac) and pastures (2ac+).

My pastures are rutted in places...a lot of places. So I have managed to shear off the spindle on one side of the front axle and make Swiss cheese of the blades even when I set it at 6" for pastures.
    Still - it keeps on ticking and annual repairs don't run over $100, if that much.
    All I do for it is add Stabil in the Winter after I run the gas tank dry.
    So it has proven it can take abuse and do both jobs.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Default We have 40 acres

And 2, 72" Kubota zero turn mowers. We mow everything from the front yard, the pastures and the back 40 with them. They don't leave the "clumps" the bush hog does, place looks like a golf course. They take tons of abuse, use diesel, and we've had zero problems with them and they're going on 10 years old now. DH is not kind to them, keeps extra blades around, and has them serviced every fall.

When we tag team mow, everything gets done pretty quick. They aren't cheap, they are commercial/farm grade durable.

We just got a 7' Flail mower (3 point hitch to a tractor). Cuts down brush like a bushhog but gives a beautiful finish mow like a lawnmower. It works great if the land is pretty level, not so much if it's uneven.

I had such a similar issue....couldn't use the zero turns (too bumpy..) and really (!) wanted a lawn 'tractor' so that we'd have horsepower to pull a little spreader/etc...but didn't want a full blown tractor (only have 4.23 acres and more than half of that is wooded ravine)...............I am indeed having the difficulty of the fact that the lawn tractor we purchased cannot set blades higher than 4 ". All I looked at? that could fulfill both issues/needs could not either. I'm still (!) thinking of having local mower guy? evaluate IF we can simply put bigger wheels or IF there is some adapting / welding/ etc that can be done to help.......
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by ayrabz View Post
    I had such a similar issue....couldn't use the zero turns (too bumpy..) and really (!) wanted a lawn 'tractor' so that we'd have horsepower to pull a little spreader/etc...but didn't want a full blown tractor (only have 4.23 acres and more than half of that is wooded ravine)...............I am indeed having the difficulty of the fact that the lawn tractor we purchased cannot set blades higher than 4 ". All I looked at? that could fulfill both issues/needs could not either. I'm still (!) thinking of having local mower guy? evaluate IF we can simply put bigger wheels or IF there is some adapting / welding/ etc that can be done to help.......
    Brilliant! I mean why couldn't one just get bigger tires? They don't have a tire well to fit into. I'd love to hear what you find out--I have the same issue.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/