The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Knee Replacement

I am scheduled to get my knee replaced on Monday. This is from an accident with a horse 13 years ago where i ruptured my ACL, medial minicus and medial ligament. I had surgery then to fix everything with my ACL being replaced with part of my petella tendon. I did all of the pt religously. Fast forward to now. I have had othovist injections in my knee and no improvement.
    Has anybody else had their knee replaced? How is the riding outcome? When do you feel stable enough to be around the horses with crutches, cane or walker? I have a great PT place already set up.

You might also ask over on the Equestrians with Disabilities thread. There are several threads on knee replacements.

My first is scheduled May 14th. Good luck with your surgery.

My 82 yr old mother had her knee replaced in Nov. and to see her now is amazing.

The first month is rough but she was walking around the house without any help (no cane or walker) by week 3. Her biggest complaint after 2 months was she couldn't do steps as fast as she wanted.

Good luck with your surgery. I have had arthroscopic surgery on both knees for tears to various ligaments and figure I will be looking at a replacement somewhere in my future too.
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." --Ghandi