The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post
    You can have readers through Fourth level. I'll be honest - I much prefer having a reader even through fourth level tests. I pretty much know my tests anyway, but it really helps me if I have to really focus on an issue (i.e. I can feel the horse is about to do an "unauthorized" flying change, or is starting to spook at something and I'm trying to keep the lid on the horse) and then momentarily forget where I am in the test. If anything, I feel comfy knowing that I have a "backup" in case I forget something, and hearing the voice of a friend if I'm feeling nervous.
    My horse has a tendency to get very aerial. I am VERY bad at memorization. I have no problem confusing left and right. I multitask very well, including hearing things while thinking about something else. Therefore, I use a read despite spending hours and hours working on memorization, riding pieces of tests, walking them out on the living room floor, drawing the tests, etc. I want to be able to focus on riding my horse, and if I am trying to get the test up in my memory it distracts me from riding, where being forewarned of upcoming movements by a reader doesn't distract me. I know this isn't the case for everyone, but it is for me, and I therefore use a reader. I have had a reader miss a movement, knew she did, and rode the movement she missed correctly. Our main show grounds are EXTREMELY windy, which is another reason I do everything I can to memorize the tests, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Far_North_Equestrian View Post
    I scribe for eventing dressage - I would say I usually only see a couple fo called tests per devision.

I see much more of it at schooling/bronze level shows though.
    Last I heard you can't have a reader in eventing. Maybe you can in Canada, though?
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Test readers can come in handy for folks doing a bunch of different tests at shows, or for newbies, or even for folks whose horse is a little nervous about being in that big ol' ring by himself. They can also be helpful if you go off course and get so flustered you can't remember the rest of the test - have seen that happen more than a few times.

I went to a small schooling show and there were a ton of pony club kids there- 9th grade up to college age. Everysingle one of them had a reader-the same pony club mom. She was exhausted. I teased those kids! The only people that didn't have a reader were the 50 yr old ladies have hot flashes and memory lapses and we all made it thru! Said it should be required of youngsters to do it without!

I read primarily at our in-barn shows and a few small schooling schools, mostly for kids. I have had a couple of "strangers" ask me to read for them, which I am more than happy to do, and flattered for being asked.

Our kids went to Lendon's Dressage for Kids Festival last year and all did fine on their memorized tests. Perhaps it was their young brains, but they also did a lot of practice over several months with only occasional reading. It also was nice to go to a show and enjoy it all without having to read.

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    Last I heard you can't have a reader in eventing. Maybe you can in Canada, though?
    It's legal at lower levels for sure thought I believe they cut off at prelim (it's been a while since I looked at the rule book). You're also no allowed one at chamionships.

Note: At least in the United States, reader MUST read test as written in English. (I scribed for a judge who stopped a test because the reader was speaking French.)

No it is legal to call in a foreign language. You must, however, get prior permission from the management and TD/ judges

DR 122
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Just to clarify, it is absolutely NOT legal to have an eventing test read at a recognized event in the US:

EV134 Dressage Rules.
    2. All tests must be carried out from memory, and all movements must follow in
    the order laid down in the test.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

One time I did a test and learnt in the pub at lunch time, using a bar mat. I was walking and trotting and cantering with my fingers through the movements, much to the puzzlement of the barman who watched me as I muttered "twenty meter circle at C, trot, trot, trot, turn onto quarter line...". It worked fine until about three quarters of the way through the actual test when the beer caught up and I came to a complete stop. I had to apologize to the judge with the explanation "the bar mat has just run out of space"

You know what's embarrassing? Having a reader, and still turning the wrong way of the center line.

True story.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    EV134 Dressage Rules.
    2. All tests must be carried out from memory, and all movements must follow in
    the order laid down in the test.
    Good to know - I should have specified, that it is legal - in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    You know what's embarrassing? Having a reader, and still turning the wrong way of the center line.

True story.
    Been there. Twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post

True story.
    Ha! I did that twice...same movement, same test, with a reader. It was that left-right thing from the centerline at A. On the third try, I went the right way. People clapped. Talk about embarrassing!
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

1 members found this post helpful.

I dont think that most people need a reader because they dont memorize the tests, they want one as a back up. I have almost all my tests read. I know them well and have even shown them before but there are times when you forget the next movement and are in a bind. Also, if your horse if having a naughty moment, you can get fixated on keeping him in control and then forget the next movement.

In my prior location I had a trainer whose BOOMING voice was known to everyone at our shows. In my first attempt at 3rd level I asked her to read for me so I wouldn't get lost. The ring was indoors. Thankfully I memorized the test because I was so busy riding that the only thing I heard was "X halt salute" - at the beginning!
    I have a friend who regularly relied on readers, until a really windy day when 1/2 way thru her test the voice just got blown away.
    And yes, I've read for people who do something quite opposite of what I read!
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........