The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dismounting at a mounting block.

I need to learn how to do it because I am wrecking my shoulders trying to slow my dismount so I won't hurt my feet.

Okay, I admit it, I am getting old.

Whenever I have tried to dismount at the mounting block, It feels really awkward and disorienting. Also, my horse isn't trained to stand there and wait for me. I am worried about losing my balance.

Is it simpler than I think? Who else dismounts this way?

When I get back to riding after my shoulder heals, I think this is going to be the way to go.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Both my horses help mount from the mounting block (I have a TALL 3 step). And to dismount onto the mounting block.

They both let me hang off their sides until my feet reach the block. And let me hang onto them to get down the steps (I have really bad knees so steps HURT).

My mother insisted that I do it when I was returning to riding after back surgery. I never felt good about doing it onto a normal mounting block- such a teeny little target and one step from the horse and it's all over... probably with a slip/fall that was worse than just dismounting normally in the first place. (landed on the edge of one once and flipped it. If my mom hadn't been there holding the horse and managed to catch me, my surgeon would have probably murdered me for it...)
    The way that actually worked was to stack a few straw bales. Larger target to step down onto. Jsut have to stack them good and tight so they don't wiggle.

One barn that I audited a couple of clinics at had one that would make it really easy- it was a proper solid platform for mounting/dismounting...

1 members found this post helpful.

After I messed up my shoulder I had to use a mounting block to dismount because it was too painful to hop off the normal way. My barn had built a large mounting block that I would step off on to. When I changed barns I built my own mounting block and made it high enough that I can drop my stirrups and step right on to it. Teach your horse to stand first. Then have a ground person to hold the horse while you get on and off the first couple of times. I use treats after I'm on and settled and when I get off. My horse learned very fast that the only way I was getting off was by using the mounting block. When he is tired or done for the day he tries to edge over to it and will position himself right next to it if I let him. After he got good with it I went back to alternating using the mounting block or just swinging down the normal way. On days my knee is really stiff it's nice to be able to just step off on it.

1 members found this post helpful.

There is one mounting block tall enough to step off of, and one that is shorter, but has steps on both sides. This one also has a big platform.

I suppose I could approach the taller one backwards, so I could just walk down the steps.

You guys are giving me hope.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I so hear you! First he has to learn to STAND. I've seen a mounting block that was more of a platform on both sides. The horse stood in the middle
    so could not swing sideways just as you are aiming for the boards.

I mostly slide down slowly because my mare stands like a rock, but my saddle scratched from my breeches' zipper.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Both of my personal boys stand for me to step off onto a tall 4 step mounting block. For me its about me knees...one went south and afte nearly a year its no longer swelling up or collapsing.

I did spend time teaching them to stand there by block w/ a reward when I was completely off..and I had to get used to trusting I was not going to fall. I step off onto it.

At home I use a tree stump and we spent a couple of days working with the pony, my DH there to hold and plenty of treats. He got very good at it very quickly and doesn't care which side you get on or off.

At the barn we worked on a standard three step but it's a smaller target than the stump and can be rocky. I did an experiment to see for sure how well his training is sticking and he is just a little too impatient if he has been out 24/7 but unridden for a couple of weeks, he wants to GO.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

This one was on a horse ad and it seems it may fill your requirements for mounting and dismounting with the least effort:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	600_June_10,_2012_037.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	37887  

I have amounting platform... three steps up and 3 feet out. I lead her as I walk up to mount and use the opposite side to dismount, walk down.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

The one Bluey posted is like the one they use for disabled riders - 'cept it is a whole lot fancier than needed. Good find.

Or, if not able to have that style, could use the arena fence for one side.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique