The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another saddle thread...but with a twist

DH has expressed an interest in jumping...so I put him on my OTTB and let him try a pole on the ground, which he enjoyed. Fast forward to him over cross poles...Fast forward again to Christmas where he got a helmet and tall boots - men's stuff on clearance can be a great deal, FYI. This past weekend when jumped the TB both days and LOVED it...Now here's the deal. He has ridden (roping horses) for quite a long time and he's ridiculously good at this, almost enough to make me jealous! The TB loves him and is game for whatever.

Until now he has been riding in my saddles, which are way too small for him. Now I'm saddle shopping for him and I don't even know where to start.

I don't want to spend a ton of money as this won't ever be his number one sport - he's a very competitive roper and that will remain his number one passion. I want a saddle that is super comfortable for the horse and puts him in the right position. He thinks his goal is to show in the 3' jumpers by the end of the summer. I am willing to scour the Internet for a good deal, but I don't even know where to start??? Are saddles for men any different? Google hasn't really helped thus far.

My Devoucoux fits the horse very well, but I am not really looking to spend that kind of money...I would love to come in at $1,000 or less, if possible. He's 5'11" with long legs and a slender build...Maybe 160 pounds?

And can I add how excited I get to see my two loves (hubby and that horse) blissfully tackling a course?!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

1 members found this post helpful.

A lot of men like the CWD's. Maybe you can pick up a used one to save some cash. If he is a rider and riding now in a Devoucoux you get him something lesser quality he's probably going to notice

Good luck and you know we now need pictures.....
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Quote Originally Posted by showidaho View Post
    DH has expressed an interest in jumping...so I put him on my OTTB and let him try a pole on the ground, which he enjoyed. Fast forward to him over cross poles...Fast forward again to Christmas where he got a helmet and tall boots - men's stuff on clearance can be a great deal, FYI. This past weekend when jumped the TB both days and LOVED it...Now here's the deal. He has ridden (roping horses) for quite a long time and he's ridiculously good at this, almost enough to make me jealous! The TB loves him and is game for whatever.

Until now he has been riding in my saddles, which are way too small for him. Now I'm saddle shopping for him and I don't even know where to start.

I don't want to spend a ton of money as this won't ever be his number one sport - he's a very competitive roper and that will remain his number one passion. I want a saddle that is super comfortable for the horse and puts him in the right position. He thinks his goal is to show in the 3' jumpers by the end of the summer. I am willing to scour the Internet for a good deal, but I don't even know where to start??? Are saddles for men any different? Google hasn't really helped thus far.

My Devoucoux fits the horse very well, but I am not really looking to spend that kind of money...I would love to come in at $1,000 or less, if possible. He's 5'11" with long legs and a slender build...Maybe 160 pounds?

And can I add how excited I get to see my two loves (hubby and that horse) blissfully tackling a course?!

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    If synthetic is acceptable my first try would be an older wintec pro jump such as this one shown here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wintec-Pro-J...item3f2384d4e0 however finding anything over 17.5" is unlikely.

If he's that tall I would suggest you start with a Mystic from Smith Worthington. They'll adjust to template for your horse before shipping it and they are excellent for leggy riders. $1100ish new. http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=523

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    If he wants to show, and therefore synthetic tack is out, I would give some Thornhill saddles a try.

If synthetic is acceptable my first try would be an older wintec pro jump.

I didn't think of that... I used to have a Wintec and I loved it. I had a trainer ride in it once and they couldn't get over how comfortable and balanced it was... LOL

And since he wants to do jumpers that may just work because the saddle doesn't matter in jumpers. What does he want is what I am thinking?
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Wintec...I didn't even think of that!!! How do they ride? How's the tree? He is a little spoiled by the Devoucoux now, but it's too small so I can only imagine what it's doing to the...you know! Yes, pictures are needed. This next weekend I will be stealthy and take some! If I post photos and specs about my saddle would it be possible to guestimate a seat size for him? Anyone know a good saddle fitter in Fairfield County CT that won't mind making the trip even though I don't have a huge budget and probably won't be able to afford their fine, new goods?

I would just try a bunch of "older" saddles and def wouldn't spend over 1000 since he only wants to do up to three feet and this won't be his number one sport. I would try saddlesource.com and let him test ride some and find which one he likes the best! comfort for him and fit of the horse should be number one, not brand!!

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    If synthetic is acceptable my first try would be an older wintec pro jump such as this one shown here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wintec-Pro-J...item3f2384d4e0 however finding anything over 17.5" is unlikely.

If he's that tall I would suggest you start with a Mystic from Smith Worthington. They'll adjust to template for your horse before shipping it and they are excellent for leggy riders. $1100ish new. http://www.smithworthington.com/inde...product&id=523
    The Smith Worthington looks really nice!!! Do you have any experience with it?

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
    I would just try a bunch of "older" saddles and def wouldn't spend over 1000 since he only wants to do up to three feet and this won't be his number one sport. I would try saddlesource.com and let him test ride some and find which one he likes the best! comfort for him and fit of the horse should be number one, not brand!!
    Great website! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by showidaho View Post
    The Smith Worthington looks really nice!!! Do you have any experience with it?
    Yes, I do.

If you are in Fairfield take a trip to their store. They will fit your dh in person and you can take home demos that day. Their store is in Hartford roughly at the 84/91 interchange. They will flock to fit your horse as well.

Would be the easiest option I think. My husband has one- he is 6'2 and 175lbs. We live just north of Hartford.

2 members found this post helpful.

Smith-Worthington will send you a huge box of well-chosen demo saddles for one shipping charge.

They are great people to work with-- good at saddle fitting at a distance, honest and pleasant.

Also, you *can* take the saddle and horse up to their shop in industrial Hartford, CT and get Curt (Hanks) to come out and fit your horse as well as make any flocking adjustments. Been there, done that. A good time was had by all, even the horse.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Super suggestions! Thanks guys! This is more exciting than shopping for myself!

Also, if you feel lucky you can take a look on ebay. Smith Worthington saddles are not well known and go for a few hundred bucks each - I got an older Beaufort (maybe 10 years old but in great shape) for $450. That's only if you feel dangerous though!

ETA: I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of leather; not butter-soft, but supple and hardy. It has a pigskin seat that links to be darn near scratch proof, because it has two cantle dings (and is 10 years old!). I prefer this type of leather to the super soft, easily-scratched types. You can also upgrade any of their saddles with all sorts of cool features like movable stirrup bars, different leather types, etc. So fun to hunk about all the options! Smith-Worthington has great customer service too.

You could also check with Beval Saddlery in both North Salem and New Canaan. They often have a wide variety of used saddles in stock.

The Wintec Pro jump fits me just fine and I'm nearly 6' tall. The one you listed is a heck of a steal at $300. The Wintec Pro Jump is quite a nicely balanced saddle and is much better than it's price would leave you to believe.

Other saddles good for tall folks that won't break the bank are the old style Ainsley Chester (not the new one), Ainsley Pro National, and some of the Stubben VSS models.

I've not ridden in a Smith Worthington but they have a great reputation.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.