The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Therapist Helps Horses have a "Second Foalhood"

Associated Press
    Southern Pines, SC

Dr. Emma Lovejoy started in human therapy techniques but, as a lifelong horse owner, applied some of those same techniques to horses with surprising results. She claims to be able to soothe the most high-strung equines using her unique therapy. “Many horses had a stressful foalhood and that can cause difficulties in relaxing or even sleeping. Sleeping problems in horses are far more common than owners suspect”, says Lovejoy. “Horses can, indeed, sleep standing up, but they need to be able to feel safe enough to lie down for a few hours to get much needed REM sleep. They simply won’t if they are too stressed. Here’s where I come in.”

Dr. Lovejoy’s barn is the most unique aspect of her therapy. Each stall is very large, dark and quiet. The bedding is deep straw. In fact, they look like foaling stalls, which is purposely done to simulate the best possible foalhood for a horse. She also has speakers in each stall with recorded sounds of mother horses nickering to their foals. She even has a fake udder that can be lowered or raised, depending on the height of the horse. She says that some of her patients actually nurse while in therapy. The “milk” is actually a nutritious mix of supplements and herbs in a milk substitute for lactose intolerant adult horses. She claims that the foalhood simulation causes the release of the hormone oxytocin, which calms and relaxes the patient, even though no mother horse is actually present. Lovejoy says that the horses that come to her barn spend more time lying down than they did in their homes, which indicates that they are more relaxed. The horses are turned out during the day and brought into the foalhood stalls at night. She keeps horses in her barn for a full thirty day program and then sends them home refreshed. “Some horses come here after a busy show season to regroup and relax.”.

Although Lovejoy cannot give us names, she says she has had many well-known eventing and jumping horses in her therapy as well as big name show horses. She also does barn visits to help people set up more sleep inducing home environments for her patients.

“It’s never too late for a horse to have a happy foalhood”, Lovejoy says.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I can't decide if this is supposed to be an April Fools or not, so if it is, well done.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

2 members found this post helpful.

April Fool for $100, Alex.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

1 members found this post helpful.

Maybe a joke, especially the part about the udder.

Ours come in every night and every morning have shavings stuck to them. They never lay down outside. So she may be right about that part.

For the most part, ours ask to come into the barn at night, it's their routine. Whether for food or a safe place to sleep or to catch up on the foal hood, I don't know.

I can see where this place would be nice for a horse after a busy show season. But then any loafing and letting down would be...even our farm.

I like the intelligent jokes!

Hehehe! Busted! Happy April Fool's Day!

..i have always been gullible

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by microbovine View Post
    Hehehe! Busted! Happy April Fool's Day!
    See, the thing is, it might not have been. Some people really ARE that crazy. Well played!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

1 members found this post helpful.

You got ME!

Yep, I'd have to say you got me too. Thank you Renn and G, I'd have permanent damage to my rolly eye muscles otherwise.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Flashback to the "New Clinician" and her re-birthing the Tennessee Walker to cure his "water issues".
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams