The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ogilvy pads: shock absorption

So im pretty interested in buying an ogilvy pad, i've heard LOTS of really good things about them.
    Has anyone noticed a difference in shock absorption/comfort of YOUR back? I know they work well for the horses but I tend to have a sore back after we jump higher in lessons.
    Im lucky that the horse im leasing's back is really good, she hasn't gotten sore and my saddle fits her nicely. Im using a thinline on her right now, but thats my trainers. Im also considering buying it for use on other horses in the future as I lease and im not about to go out and purchase a new custom saddle for every horse, and the ogilvy i think would help fill any gaps between the saddle and the horses.

I didn't notice any difference at all and that is mainly why I purchased mine.

I don't even use it any more and have gone back to a regular sheepskin half pad.

I did notice a difference in my lower back when I rode with my friend's Ogilvy pad. To each's own I guess.
    a horseless canuck...

I believe back on track makes a back brace you may want to try. I have had lots of success with their products on my ankle after hard rides.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Oh my gosh, yes. I fractured my lumbar when I was 15, and it always gives me problems. My horse is a couch, but he has a huge stride and jump, so it takes a lot to stay with him. Up until a month ago, I used a Mattes pad. If I had 6 solid days of riding in a row, I would be in serious pain by day 7. Since switching, it's made a huge difference. If it feels that good for me, I hope my horse feels at least some of that!

Great for personal comfort, don't notice it doing anything for any of the horses. You might as well gather 5 or 6 no bow wraps and shove them under the saddle.

I have little experience with Ogilvy's, but keep in mind that they may alter the fit of your saddle on the horse that you are leasing right now.

If you want something to help your personal back, I would go Thinline instead of Ogilvy. I have both and use both on different horses, but the Thinline is better for my own back!

Quote Originally Posted by strides View Post
    Great for personal comfort, don't notice it doing anything for any of the horses. You might as well gather 5 or 6 no bow wraps and shove them under the saddle.
    Except this wold introduce a LOT of seams which are prospective pressure points so can't imagine why anyone would do that to a horse ...

There are some pretty hard old saddles (the panels - horses don't much care if the seat is hard ) & I suspect any horse wearing one of those appreciates the Ogilvy memory foam pad.

Has anyone noticed a difference in shock absorption/comfort of YOUR back? I know they work well for the horses but I tend to have a sore back after we jump higher in lessons.
    You might give the pad a try (or a Thin Line ultra) but suspect that strengthening your own core, back muscles, legs may be all that's required - OTOH as long as the pad doesn't interfere with saddle fit, give it a go it's certainly a beautiful pad

I use to use a thinline on top of a mattes pad. Started having issues with my back. I do have arthritis in my back. I switched to the ogilivy and my back has felt much better. I do not jump over 2'6", so not sure if it would help for jumping, but has been a big help for flatting.

I've found it has decreased pain in my lower back and having a horse with a sensitive back I've noticed a big difference! Even from the first ride she opened up in her shoulders more and was more relaxed. Makes sitting trot easier on both of us!

Thanks for the replies! Ill try out someones ogilvy at the barn for a few rides maybe and see if i notice a difference.
    I dont think adding the saddle will alter the fit on her too much/negatively. I've used one with my saddle and the horse once before and everything seemed to fit fine!
    Im debating also seeing a chiropractor to see whats up with my back and hips.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Except this wold introduce a LOT of seams which are prospective pressure points so can't imagine why anyone would do that to a horse ...

There are some pretty hard old saddles (the panels - horses don't much care if the seat is hard ) & I suspect any horse wearing one of those appreciates the Ogilvy memory foam pad.

You might give the pad a try (or a Thin Line ultra) but suspect that strengthening your own core, back muscles, legs may be all that's required - OTOH as long as the pad doesn't interfere with saddle fit, give it a go it's certainly a beautiful pad

Well yes, I was being sarcastic , I just wasn't a huge fan of them.

Quote Originally Posted by strides View Post
    Well yes, I was being sarcastic , I just wasn't a huge fan of them.
    I have an easier time with Thin Line - it's just sooooo thin - I love the Ogilvy baby pads, just wish they offered the same color selection as the foam pads.

You spoke in jest but I have watched as rider & trainer, stack 2 saddle pads, a foam insert, 2 towels (then a 3rd)

You can customize the baby pads too. Whatever colors you want and trim, and add piping. Piping adds a few more dollars and you can add two rows if you like. It takes about two weeks for a special order. I'm not a fan of the half pads though.

1 members found this post helpful.