The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I have two different bridles, one is my show and lesson bridle, because i would be jumping, which has a pellham, and another cheaper bridle with a figure eight nose band and a loose ring! But I ride in both often so they are both broken in!

I have three show bridles for four horses, and three work bridles. I like to have nice things, and two show bridles were on super sale, and one was used but in good condition. I don't have "nice" work tack - well, I do, but they are western-stye work bridles! I didn't have any full sized english bridles when I got my horse-sized horses, but I did have the western work bridles. They hold the bit in, are adjustable, and I don't have to be so consistent with cleaning because they don't have to look super nice. I figured the horses didn't care how they looked, and no one around here was going to see, so why buy something I don't need? I also use web reins for everyday, so I don't have to clean them every day.

The show bridles go through a break-in trial period where I make certain they fit and get 'em sweaty and dusty, then they are cleaned and conditioned and put away carefully away from horse teeth and tree branches so they aren't damaged. I don't show in a martingale, but I would get an extra show martingale if I needed one because I already have work martingales in biothane for my trail horse. I do not have a show girth because the horses need their own girths and I can't afford two of each!

1 members found this post helpful.

I use one saddle for schooling and showing.
    My schooling bridle is purple biothane. When it gets dirty, I just through it in the wash and it comes out looking new : )
    My show bridle is a nice leather bridle in wonderful condition because it gets cleaned every time.
    I have separate pads for showing.
    I use nylon with fuzzy lining girths for everyday and a leather sheepskin lined girth for show.

I do alot of trail riding, so I have an everyday schooling bridle with inexpensive hackamore attached. I have been showing some low level dressage recently so my "show bridle" has a bit on it. I never school my mare with the bit, just pull it out the day of the show. Just makes my life easier to do it this way, less bit changing. I don't use a martingale for anything anymore, mare doesn't need one.

I struggle with show nerves.

Among my most successful strategies is knowing all my gear is clean, organized and ready to load. Thus I have a separate 'everything' for shows so I don't have to clean tack the night before a show on top of managing my nerves.

Except for a quick glycerine damp sponge & buff to the one saddle I own (which I keep well-conditioned year round), I can focus on eating, sleeping & breathing through the pre-show nerves knowing I am all packed and haven't forgotten a thing.

After the show is over I clean, condition and re-organize my gear & tack. Put it all away neatly and I'm ready to do it again next time!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TiaRosa View Post
    I struggle with show nerves.

Among my most successful strategies is knowing all my gear is clean, organized and ready to load. Thus I have a separate 'everything' for shows so I don't have to clean tack the night before a show on top of managing my nerves.

Except for a quick glycerine damp sponge & buff to the one saddle I own (which I keep well-conditioned year round), I can focus on eating, sleeping & breathing through the pre-show nerves knowing I am all packed and haven't forgotten a thing.

After the show is over I clean, condition and re-organize my gear & tack. Put it all away neatly and I'm ready to do it again next time!
    I understand that for sure. I have always been a DIY for many many years. I prepared my horses, trailered them, schooled them, cleaned all tack, loaded everything so a big list was necessary and my mind would be overloaded. I too still have everything in my tack room as if I am ready to show tomorrow. Just goofy like that.

I do have to say I did my first show recently with grooms and trainers that handled so much and it really helped me be able to focus and relax. I asked my trainer what I needed to bring and he said, you and your clothes. The saddles, bridles, boots, feed, horse, were loaded and cleaned. Horse was ready, schooled, even class entries ready to go and I found it strange but also so much more relaxing. Maybe that will help me in future shows except remembering the courses
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

I fought the idea of having a show bridle/work bridle for a long time, I even started a thread on here about it! But I finally gave in, and I have to say it is nice knowing that my show bridle (which aside from saddle pad is the only different thing I use) is clean and beautiful when I need it. One less thing to worry about at 6 AM as I'm packing up.

I do use it for more than just shows, and sometimes just bring it out "because I paid $350 for a bunch of leather straps and I want to enjoy it," but most of my riding is done in my work bridle. And honestly, I just think Apollo looks dashing in his frivolous but easy to identify blue bridle.

He goes in a waterford in both bridles, only difference is that one is a full cheek, the other a dee ring.