The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Show tack/work tack?

All this talk of bridles got me thinking. I have always used my work bridle for shows too. I like the feel of a used and well taken care of bridle. I don't like getting to the show with new unfamiliar equipment....

But I have always been 100% in charge of my horses care, tack cleaning etc. I now have a horse in full training and wonder if it's wrong to use the same bridle for show and work.

How many of you have separate show bridles/martingals or even saddles?

I guess I feel I should have purchased two of the bridles on sale because I really want to use it daily.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

I haven't always shown in separate bridles or martingales, but have for some periods of time as well. When my old martingale (the one with the 'white' elastic) started to look super gross I bought a new one (prettier nicer one cause the white elastic is never a good thing with horses), but since my old martingale was perfectly usable I kept my new one for shows.
    Sometimes I show in a show only bridle but bring along my home bridle if for some reason I need a quick bit change or something I can just huck on the other bridle with the other bit. I like buying bridles so they change up a lot haha.
    I also am in full charge of my horse and tack.

When I showed Hunters I had a separate bridle, martingale and saddle pad for shows.

Now that we are eventing I have a jumper bridle and a dressage bridle, but they are the same that I use for schooling and events.

2 members found this post helpful.

I used to be a show and everyday type of person (except for saddles...that's way out of my discretionary income league) but one day decided it was silly. I don't show enough to need both...and my really nice stuff just sat around getting no use.

Now, I figure, good quality tack is made to last and it should be able to withstand the use (not hard) that I put it through as long as I take care of it. This theory has served me well...and bonus! I get to use my good tack all of the time.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

1 members found this post helpful.

I use my everyday stuff for showing. I'm also of the mentality that I just don't show enough to warrant having two sets of tack.

I have show bridles and work bridles.
    Some of my work bridles I could show in, and some aren't (stylistically) suitable, and some just are no longer show-worthy (nothing wrong with them as such, just past show-best).

I've always had show bridles and work bridles, but that's only because I've typically had horses who show in different bridles than they school in. Now that I have a horse who's pretty happy in almost anything, I flat in one bridle (a fancy loose ring) but then just jump in my show bridle (a D-ring French link).

I agree with RugBug—nice stuff should be able to be used every day!

Another vote for show and school in the same thing. I bought two nice (or nice for me) bridles last year and I want to get every penny out of them.

I used to have show tack & schooling tack but why not use the $700++ bridles and strap goods every day? They hold up much better then the cheap stuff.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have never used different tack for schooling and showing. Well the leather halters come out for shows only. This year my gelding gets the privilege of a show only bridle but that is only because I won it and it is really expensive. I would probably be embarrassed to show him in his current $27 bridle though!
    "People who think their brains are not worth protecting are probably right!"
    - quoted by Martha Drum

I always bought bridles I could show in and then let them "trickle down" to work bridles as they aged.

Otherwise, there are so many reasons to have a nice show bridle:

I want to buy bridles. They are about as close as I come to buying jewelry.

If I'm the rider and groom, it's nice to have show tack ready to go after I have gotten the work tack dirty at the show.

The horse who decides to chew on a rein or break one.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I am more inclined to have separate things if it gets used a lot or someone else takes it on and off the horse and puts it away. Or it's too prices to justify two (a saddle, for example).

If it's something that doesn't get used much and only I touch at home then I am likely to have one. My pelham bridle fits into this category as it get used rarely at home and is pretty expensive. But the snaffle bridle stays out in the tack room and gets used for training rides when I'm not there so I have a show only one. The irony here is that my show-only snaffle bridle isn't super nice, but I won it so it has sentimental value. When I used a martingale I had separate ones for show and home.

The baby horse just got his first bridle, which I am using at home and will probably use for shows since it's part cob and part horse size. But I am saving the reins that came with it for shows, or at least until he's less mouthy.

I have a hack bridle and a jumping bridle, and one "fresh day" bridle with a different bit on it, but I bring all three to shows. I do have separate martingales, girths, and saddle pads.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Ha, I was just wondering this same thing. I don't, or haven't showed enough to need 2 sets but I recently bought a used, though brand nw stubben bridle and this thing is gorgeous!!! I'm now debating keeping it for our shows or everyday. It's so pretty I'm almost afraid to leave it at the barn yet lol

Though I am now on a hunt for the same one so I don't need to do a bit change if needed....
    Posted with my Android smartphone.

Another vote for using the same bridle for schooling and show. I have a flat and a jumping bridle. My flat bridle is wiped down every day and cleaned with glycerine at least 3X/week. My jump bridle is used 1X/week and is cleaned after each use. Both are in show condition and often I will configure my flat bridle with a different noseband and a Pelham if I am crossing over into the equitation the same day as my jumper classes. Both bridles are a few years old!
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    I always bought bridles I could show in and then let them "trickle down" to work bridles as they aged.

Otherwise, there are so many reasons to have a nice show bridle:

I want to buy bridles. They are about as close as I come to buying jewelry.

If I'm the rider and groom, it's nice to have show tack ready to go after I have gotten the work tack dirty at the show.

The horse who decides to chew on a rein or break one.
    Ditto this. Plus, I like knowing my show items (bridles/bits/martingales/girths/saddle pads) are always clean and ready to go. Also, as much as I try to be diligent with cleaning and maintaining my tack, I also work full-time and go to school. There are some days that a wipe down with a damp rag has to suffice, and I don't feel so guilty about that when it's a schooling bridle.

Also, I have a bridle fetish. I get more joy out of a really special bridle than I would from a designer purse or nice shoes. To each their own

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    I've always had show bridles and work bridles, but that's only because I've typically had horses who show in different bridles than they school in. Now that I have a horse who's pretty happy in almost anything, I flat in one bridle (a fancy loose ring) but then just jump in my show bridle (a D-ring French link).

I agree with RugBug—nice stuff should be able to be used every day!
    Can I just ditto this post? The only difference is the bits I use!

Yet another vote for one set of tack. Horse shows are stressful enough without worrying about another set of tack. :-)

Back when I was a HP I had one horse at a time and two of everything but my saddle. But now I have two of everything only because I have two horses! Their daily bridles are lovely, I wipe them down after each ride, and they show in them. I do have three sets of reins for the 4 year old, though, since he likes to suck on them and can ruin a nice piece of leather in about two seconds. He's very sneaky.

I also have jumpers now, and I don't like the raised, braided, fancy-ass bridles that I used to when I was a junior. My guys have plain raised bridles and rubber reins, which are easier to keep clean and don't need to be put away for only special occasions, so I guess that makes a difference, too.
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

Another vote for I like my tack broken in. I have multiple bridles, but they usually end up on the ponies that I am schooling at the stable.
    The only tack specifically for the shows are the saddle pad and the show leather halter.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight