The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pros and cons of side zip/front zip breeches

What's your opinions on side zip or front zip breeches?

Which do you like better? Why?

which is better for showing?

which is in style?

pros and cons of each?

Side zip pro -
    belt buckle on the side so when you dismount you wont scratch your saddle.

Side zip con-
    Hard for me to reach to the side and fasten or un-fasten.

Front zip pro -
    Easy to fasten and un-fasten.

Front zip con -
    belt buckle in the front can scratch your saddle when dismounting.

I do prefer the front zip because I have a tough time fastening the side zips and can be careful not to scratch my saddle. I think the side zips look better for showing, more clean, but with the new coats that have four buttons I noticed the front of the breeches don't show as much as with a three button coat.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

I like the way that size zips fit me better, especially if the style of breech is low rise.

Either is fine for showing, although you definitely see a lot of front zips in all rings.

See above.

Plus, zippers in the front can tend to not lie flat, adding more "volume" to the look of a tummy that's not so flat. Side zips tend to be more flattering on a less than flat tummy.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I like side zips. I often get poked in the belly when wearing front zip (hopefully less now that I have lost a good bit of weight)

What's your opinions on side zip or front zip breeches?
    I think they both look nice on the right body
    Which do you like better? Why?
    Front zip %100. Its easier to take on off (if you have a belt) than side zips for me, even if I have the belt to the side of the side zips. The front zips are WAY comfier, the side zippers tend to really dig into my hip bones and i find they look bulkier on. Also, front zips tend to fit me better as there is less bulky fabric around my hips/thighs.
    which is better for showing?
    Either on is appropriate.
    which is in style?
    I'd say front zips are right now, but that doesn't mean you can't wear side zips.
    pros and cons of each?
    Pretty much what I said above. But alot of people have mentioned the front zips w/ belts have the possibility of scratching saddles. I've NEVER had this issue, if you're worried just push yourself a couple more inches away from the horse as you jump off.

1 members found this post helpful.

I like side zip. It makes me look less poofy.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

I love the front zip breeches! Try on both and see which fit you best and which are most comfortable for your body type. I know that different brands fit differently, so it's all personal preference. SmartPak, gotta love 'em, will ship you a bunch and you can send back what you don't like.

I like both, and both look fine on me.

I have a friend that is a little heavier and I know she prefers front zip because they 'hide fluff'.

I really don't know how wearing a belt to the front can scratch your saddle unless you are sliding down the side. My front doesn't touch the saddle when I dismount.

I prefer side zip. Front zips make me look like I have a little fluff in front, which I really don't, my stomach is flat. The side zips are a little harder to get up and down for bathroom visits .

For me it's front zips, I'm always having to pull side zips up.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I prefer side zips for shows or schooling, I think they just look nicer when they are on. They are more comfortable too, especially the lower rise ones.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

Front zip - looks better
    Side zip - looks worse

personal opinion of course!
    Last edited by strides; Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:04 PM.

I much prefer side zips. I think they're more comfortable and more flattering!

I do not care where the zipper is as long as the breeches fit well enough to not be annoying.

No one is suddenly going to think I am thinner if I put my zipper on the side.

I find that it depends on the cut of the breech as to which is more comfortable to me. In general though, I'm preferring the front zips. In any case, I wear my belt buckle on the side no matter what, even in street clothes. Keeps the buckle out of my tummy
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I do not care where the zipper is as long as the breeches fit well enough to not be annoying.

No one is suddenly going to think I am thinner if I put my zipper on the side.
    Unless your belt buckle is a GIANT BLINGY that will 1. Blind them 2. Make one look teeny tiny.... ( I may try that.... ) haha.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

I see I'm not the only one who has problems with the side-zip clasps digging into the hip bones. I still school in my old side-zips and endure the pain, because I'm too cheap to replace them. But buying new, it's front zip all the way. So much more comfortable.

I own both and find them equally comfortable and easy to get in/out of. Scratching my saddle while dismounting is never a problem either.

Personally I find size zips give a more flattering appearance on my particular body, but I wouldn't hesitate to show in either style. At the moment front zips seem to be more popular but both are equally appropriate.

I own both (FITS) and do find the side zips a tad more flattering in front while in the saddle (I'm a size 14) but FITS are so nicely made, either are nice. When schooling I don't wear a belt with either since I wear my shirts out.

For shows, I wear side zips because that's what I already have (FITS front zips just came out for knee patch) and I actually wear my belt (TS quilted C belt) in the front buckled.

I have no problem in a porta-potty, just unbuckle belt in front, and unzip side. Maybe I have appropriately placed belt loops that my belt can slide wide enough and not come unbelted. Cuz I just zip-up and re-buckle, my belt pretty much stays in the same spot. I would never buckle on the side... weird.

Here's a photo in my FITS Bekas (side zip) and TS Quilted C belt buckled in the front. http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8126/8...20e5f8cd_c.jpg