The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Growths in eyes -- can someone provide info or name of condition?

This is on my list to discuss with my vet, but in the meantime I'd like to do some online research.

A long time ago, my vet looked in my then-filly's eyes and pointed out some small growths. To be honest I could barely see what she was pointing out. That was probably seven or eight years ago; my mare is now 10.

My vet said it wasn't particular serious, but that they might grow. She also said that if they did grow, they might impact her vision. I seem to remember that the effects would be most pronounced in low light, but I may have made that part up. Lastly I remember coming away with the idea that surgery to remove or shrink these growths would be fairly routine and not a huge expense. And that her vision would return to normal after the growths were taken care of.

I filed it away for future reference, but managed not to retain the name of the condition or the name of the growths themselves. Just recently, this mare ran headlong into a gate that was totally in shadow. On the one hand, she was terribly excited after having been cooped up for bad weather, and her buddies were on the other side of that gate. And I have seen no other behaviors that would indicate vision problems. But it brought back the conversation about her eyes. I looked but can't see anything unusual.

Does this sound familiar to anyone, and if so do you know what it is? Has anyone had growths like this treated, successfully or unsuccessfully? Thank you.
    Last edited by JoZ; Apr. 1, 2013 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Darn autocorrect!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Did it sound like corpora nigra or something like that? My gelding has them, I've been leaving them alone so far.

Every horse has a corpora nigra and you should leave them alone as they serve a very important purpose.

2 members found this post helpful.

lol Laurieace, you know what I meant. But I'm glad to know I've been following protocol by leaving them alone But cysts can form from it and block the pupils, which is what I'm wondering if that's what JoZ is talking about. My vet said there was some kind of laser surgery I could have done, but I'd have to go a long way, pay a lot of money, and "if it's not bothering him, leave it alone". I've been leaving it alone for a long time. We had another thread on here (or two) about the same thing, JoZ can probably search for it, where other people DID have the surgery because in their cases, leaving it alone was not best. It all depends on if it is affecting the vision.
    Of course, this might not be what she is talking about.

my hubby's horse has something that is balloony in his eyes. there was an article in a horse mag about this and it was bad in low light.

I don't remember which mag nor do I know the name. I can't "see" it but my hubby can.

JoZ is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I think that is it! The cysts, I mean, not just the corpora nigra!

I did find some old threads by doing a search. It seems that there's a lot of variation. These cysts can block vision, or not. Also seems like the corpora nigra itself can block vision – in one case the person posting on COTH said that her horses corpora nigra was in the process of falling off.

Even longer ago then this discussion with my vet, I first looked into a horse's eye in bright sunlight and saw the corpora nigra, which in itself is a bit scary. Looks like little rat droppings clustered in the middle of the eyes. But I know that is normal. I guess I will just have my vet check for cysts, and deal with it accordingly. There is always the possibility my mare just had a klutzy moment. It wouldn't be her first.

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

I had a horse in for training with this. Fine in low light (indoor, cloudy day), but terrified in sunshine, or even worse, a ring with some standing water after rain, at night, with the lights on. The shine to the footing almost killed us both.

He just couldn't figure out where he should be in those instances. Nice horse, talented, but the owners didn't want to address the issue.

JoZ, my regular vet says Dr. Sullivan is the go-to equine ophthalmologist. He owns the Seattle Animal Eye Clinic: http://www.seattleaec.com/

He regularly sees horses at Pilchuck. He finds horses very interesting, likes to work on them, so keeps his equine fees quite reasonable.

1 members found this post helpful.

JoZ is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by stryder View Post
    JoZ, my regular vet says Dr. Sullivan is the go-to equine ophthalmologist. He owns the Seattle Animal Eye Clinic: http://www.seattleaec.com/

He regularly sees horses at Pilchuck. He finds horses very interesting, likes to work on them, so keeps his equine fees quite reasonable.
    Oh thank you so much, what wonderful info to have on hand!