The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Meeting with potential new instructor: tips?

Tomorrow I'm meeting with my potential new eventing instructor. I'm coming from a brief dressage background, with some polo exercising, a 9 year hiatus, and 8 years of hunter/jumper before that.

Is there anything I should make sure I ask? Any tips in general about switching to eventing?

Thanks.

Come early and watch a few lessons. If you aren't learning things in those lessons, you probably won't learn in yours.

The instructor should guide you through some sort of introductory/evaluation process at the end you should feel excited for your next lesson.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Ask a few "what if" scenario questions to see if you and the possible coach click on teaching theory. How someone teaches is equally important to what they teach. If they repeat the same thing over and over but you need a different approach, then you two might not do well together. Ask her, "if I am not getting it right, how would you help me understand?" The catch here is that you need to know enough about your own learning style to appreciate a good answer vs a good answer for your style.