The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Coat Color Question

I have an 8 year old bay Azteca gelding, acquired about 6 months ago. Purchased for his mind, not the package he came wrapped in. so this question is more out of curiousity than anything else.

He had some ticking (slight) throughout his body, face, etc...but not very prominent. On all four legs, he has greying in his black points, predominantly on his forelegs. If you just should me a pic of his lower legs, without seeing the rest if his body, I would guess he was a young grey horse. At his tail head he has white and blond hairs on either side (only the shorties, right were the tailbone starts).

Now that he has shed most of his winter coat, he has more ticking throughout and more on his face. It's not noticeable until you are up close.

I've seen rabicano horses but really not sure if that is what this is. I thought most of their coat patterns were formed and stabilized much younger? The greying dappled patterns in his black socks are something I haven't seen before. I had someone tell me, "oh, that's just his Andy grey coming through..."?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Slap a photo up of him and you'll get all sorts of responses.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

http://equinetapestry.com/?s=rabicano

There is a youtube linked on this blogpage with a horse who has what I imagine you mean by greying dappled black points.

Pictures?
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

UlysMom is online now Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Wow, the Marchadors pictures that were linked to the article with the video have the same patterns on his legs that he has (The Herdade sire and dam). Dark points with mottled grey. very interesting.

It's interesting how the horse on the video greyed out as he got older. The younger video looks very similar to mine now, except mine doesn't have white socks or a blaze. Very minimal white hairs outside of the greying on his legs and the ticking. No real big clusters of white hair in the typical patterns. I wonder if he's going to continue to grey out as he gets older?

Let me see if I have any clear pics I can post. If not, I will take some tomorrow after work.

Thanks so much!

Original Poster

OK, I took some pics last night (sorry, lighting wasn't great). Here's the link to where they are available for viewing: http://www.flickr.com/photos/94631294@N03/

As you can see, the greying is very prominent on his front legs, and his hinds have one that has slight greying, while the other is solid black. He's totally sound and I haven't found any scar tissue on his legs that might have explained the white hair distribution (I had thought of possible scarring from wraps or flies? I wasn't sure if anything else could cause that). I also would have thought that if he leaned towards greying, his muzzle would be black, or much darker than it is?

The white/blond hair at the top of his tail doesn't show up well in the picture. He also has greying on the underside of his tail bone.

So, have at it! Like I said previously, this is more of a curiousity for me. Thanks for any input you might have!

Well, I'm not sure personally, but I just posed this question to Lesli Kathman, the woman whose blog was linked to above. I'm sure she'll know. She's very, very knowledgeable about horse color and genetics.
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

Bay. Your horse is bay. Sometimes they have light color hair which will show up. I had an arab who had some of the same hair color on his legs. Come spring summer it would shed off.

My arab was a rich bay color, his grand sire was Khemosabi, same bay color maybe a tad redder. Sometimes those tails will get bleached, and the legs too.

Either mild rabicano (my guess as the "skunk tail" is quite common with rabicano) or a wild bay.

Well, most people are saying bay.
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

Bay Rabicano is my vote
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Original Poster

Appreciating all of your comments. Thank you!!

Obviously he is very, very bay , I just had never seen the greying in the legs like he has. The link that Planandtall provided just got me wondering if he may end up greying out more as he aged (like the marchador that was presented had) and only because I had noticed more ticking this year after he shed his winter coat.

His coat color is the same through all seasons, meaning he doesn't shed out the grey hair in his legs and the hair around his tail isn't sunbleached, but grows out white from the root. Because of those things, and he's part Andy, I was wondering about the rabicano.

"Bay with Silver Stuff?"

(He's pretty!)

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    "Bay with Silver Stuff?"
    I like that! Bay with silver stuff...Keeping it simple!

Sometimes horses have silver stuff in that feathered area esp. wild bays and silver bays. Sometimes it may be white markings that just didn't quite make it all the way! My old horse has a lot of roany places like that (but she had them young!). But time will certainly tell.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.