The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default WAY fewer sale horses!

To all who've been pursuing the Final Solution threads with respect to "unwanted" horses, I got a big surprise today when I opened the April issue of our local buy-em-and-sell-em rag, "Steed Read."

With the exception of one major dealer who posted his usual list, there were only a very small handful of horse-for-sale ads. Not even enough I think to fill even one column completely. Now THAT is a major change.

Yeah, I know about CL, dreamhorse.com, etc., but this freebie mag gets exposure in every single tack and feed store in a couple of states, and ads are cheap.

So I have to surmise that between less breeding on one end, the Purge having passed us by now, the economy picking up at least in New England, and the KB's having hauled off the unplaceables, there are fewer horses out there to buy.

What are you seeing in your area?

I'm not sure your conclusion follows from your evidence.

There are a number of reasons not the least of which is that the horses standing around in paddocks are not worth the price of a want ad. The Knoxville News-Sentinel used to have a fair number of adds for horses in the Sunday edition. In many weeks over the past few years there have been none. I can assure you that's not because of a robust local, equine economy.

When the adds begin to multiply (as they should start to do at this beginning of the 2013 riding season) then I'll consider that the market is improving.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

It may be that horse sales, like many other things, have moved online to the point where people aren't even thinking about print ads anymore. Younger people who've grown up on-line probably wouldn't think to advertise in print at all.

I do know a LOT of breeders have quit or cut way back, to the point where it surprises me when I see anyone in my breed-of-choice (the Morgan) having more than 3 foals at a time, unless they are a larger, wealthier breeder, or Amish. My mare's breeders, who have always been small-scale, used to have 2 or 3 or even 4 foals every year, but since 2006 or so, they've had none most years, 1 foal two years, and 2 foals just one year. And they've had all the recent colts they intended to keep entire gelded, too.

The regular newspapers in San Diego had a lot of horse-for-sale classified ads when I was a kid, 40-some years ago. Now there are basically none.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

G has a point. Our local nice horse sale costs X to run a horse through and you pay whether it's a no sale or not - plenty of CL horses at that price or even lower. The sale is going to be held in about a week - used to be a whole weekend and even Friday as well, this sale is on a Monday of all days.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Horse sales of all kinds are down around here, mostly because everyone quit breeding much the past handful of years, since the economy tanked big time and it has not quite recovered, plus the drought has eliminated many horse households.

Prices for the really nice, well trained and proven horses, that are getting to be less and less, more buyers are chasing them and bringing the prices up, are getting higher every day, while the rest, young, very old or untrained still can't be given away.

Well, I can tell you that in the Paso Fino world, at least to the best of my knowledge, really good proven show horses are still to be had at extremely low prices. And solid trail horses of non-show caliber can be had for a song. When I think of what I paid for my horse in 2008 . . . . .
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

May be a normal fluctuation. Horse selling is seasonal -people sell when they see winter approaching. Maybe spring and the presence of grass is giving some people a little hope (real or not).

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).