The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

The Once and Future King by T.H. White. Love that book. I've read it many times, but not for years. Maybe it's time for another look at it!

3 members found this post helpful.

Dorothy L. Sayers' Peter Wimsey novels. Excellent.
    Also a few of Ngaio Marsh's novels.

Chesapeake by James Michener. Superb. If you love the Bay, and for any Marylanders, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by drawstraws View Post
    From Piers Anthony, I've reread the Apprentice Adept series so many times I could practically quote them. However, I only like the first three (Split Infinity, Blue Adept and Juxtaposition) - the next couple in the series just don't do anything for me.
    I'm so excited to see someone else mention these books! They were some of my favourites growing up, and have re-read many times! Same with the first 6 or so Xanth novels.

I probably re-read Anne McCaffrey's Harper Hall trilogy once a year or so, particuarly the first two (Dragonsong and Dragonsinger). They are my go to comfort books. Same with Harry Potter, I think I've read the whole series over about 4 times, and then bits and pieces here and there when I want something fun to read.

In recent years, one book I just love and have re-read multiple times is Warchild by Karen Lowachee. Something about her world and characters just drew me in. If you love sci-fi, please give her a try! The other two in the series are Burndive and Cagebird.

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh wow.. Piers Anthony. Blast from my teenage past too! Loved the entire Xanth series
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    The Once and Future King by T.H. White. Love that book. I've read it many times, but not for years. Maybe it's time for another look at it!
    Maybe you need to talk to one of the posters over on the "Books I Could Not Finish" thread!

P.S. I love it too and cannot understand how anyone could not.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

2 members found this post helpful.

Believe it or not...a trashy romance novel about some English Lord Captain and some American shipbuilders daughter lol I pick it up maybe once a year for a mindless entertaining read. Not sure why I like it so much lol

Ender's Game and all the books that follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    Jane Eyre
    The Thorn Birds

Ditto.

The Secret Garden too
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

"Originally Posted by drawstraws
    From Piers Anthony, I've reread the Apprentice Adept series so many times I could practically quote them. However, I only like the first three (Split Infinity, Blue Adept and Juxtaposition) - the next couple in the series just don't do anything for me.

Originally posted by Janeway
    I'm so excited to see someone else mention these books! They were some of my favourites growing up, and have re-read many times! Same with the first 6 or so Xanth novels.

I probably re-read Anne McCaffrey's Harper Hall trilogy once a year or so, particuarly the first two (Dragonsong and Dragonsinger). They are my go to comfort books. Same with Harry Potter, I think I've read the whole series over about 4 times, and then bits and pieces here and there when I want something fun to read.

In recent years, one book I just love and have re-read multiple times is Warchild by Karen Lowachee. Something about her world and characters just drew me in. If you love sci-fi, please give her a try! The other two in the series are Burndive and Cagebird. "

I read the Split Infinity series when I was a kid and really liked them. Reread the first one in college, and didn't like it near as much.

I reread Dune every few years. Love that book!

I've also read Downbelow Station by CJ Cherryh and Gateway by Frederick Pohl a couple times. I can't count the number of times I've read Misty of Chincoteague. Love that one!

I'll have to check out Warchild. Thanks for the recommendation Janeway!
    Last edited by hoofy; Apr. 2, 2013 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Quotes didn't copy correctly

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

Does listening to a book you've already read count as re-reading? I was amazed by how much I enjoyed having a story read to me, especially if the readers are really good. I'm always impressed at how much control they have, making me hear and see a neurotic woman, an aristocratic Frenchman, a 6'5" black FBI agent and a 5'11 white inner city detective all in the same scene. Or the reader has the perfect voice for the character, like Cole in Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver series. (Serious sex on a stick layers added to the character!) I was hoping to listen to Sunshine (because of the discussion on the movies/books you hate thread), but the narrator is a poor match for the story, so I'd rather just re-read it, again, than listen to it, because there's nothing worse than the wrong voice for the story.

On the read/listened to list:

Lee Child - all his novels (the reader really captures Reacher's attitude)

Maggie Stiefvater - The Scorpio Races (the voices for both Puck & Sean are perfect, especially Sean *swoon*)

The Raven Boys

Lament & Ballad - These unfortunately don't have an audiobook version, but I've re-read them often and wanted to include them here. (They give me the same sense I have when finishing Sunshine - wanting more.)

Holly Black - Curse Workers series, read by Jessie Eisenberg

Modern Faerie Tale series

Garth Nix - The Abhorsen trilogy, read by Tim Curry (Rocky Horror Picture Show) What a voice! Nevermind all the scary things he narrates in the books (really well), there's a talking cat in the stories and not only does he capture Mogget's sarcasm and derision, he sounds like a cat.
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

I love books on tape!!! Probably a few of them I would have put down before managing to get thru them had I tried actually reading them but listening to it being read is far better. Love Justin Cronin "The Passage" and "The Twelve". Also loved all of Kate Morton's books on tape, same with all the Harry Potter series.

Forgot to mention:

Airs Above the Ground by Mary Stewart (a mystery starring Lippizzaners)

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson - great non-fiction which does what the title says. I've read it twice, and next time will read the illustrated version.

The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay. Read it twice, with about 15 years between reads. The second time really grabbed me as I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed it. It's now on my "will read again in the next year or two" list.

Up, Up and Away by Lucinda Prior-Palmer (Lucinda Green) - biography of her first very successful horse, Be Fair. It has some very inspiring bits (i.e. when he was an absolute puke when she first got him, and how he was reformed!)

Any books by James Herriot (similar to Dick Francis, you can forget the plots and enjoy them again)

In the childhood books category, The Witches and Matilda by Roald Dahl. Comedy gold.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. A wonderful book written from the point of view of an autistic teenager.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Shaara! Indeed! Similarly, Sharon Kay Penman.
    I am reading The Sunne in Splendor now, after recommendations last OT day, and really enjoying it!
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

My re-read in the tub go-to list:
    Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh.
    Almost anything by John Cheever
    Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood
    The "Rabbit" books by John Updike

For non-fiction, I find the books of Richard Dawkins and E. O. Wilson make me fall in love with biology all over again.

Stephen King books. I have every one of his books in hard cover and love to revisit them. Especially The Stand and his collections of short stories.
    I am thinking it is time to re-read the Harry Potter books!
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Jane Eyre and The Moonstone
    "Beware the hobby that eats."
    Benjamin Franklin

I'm not much of a re-reader, which is bizarre because I love reading.
    The only books I have re-read, (other than for school / work etc) are the Outlander series, when I was on vacation and had nothing else to read (the horror!).
    Same thing for movies.
    I don't know...once read / watched, as much as I enjoyed them, they lose their appeal to me. I love passing them on to someone else tho.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

A Wilkie Collins fan! Love that now all of his works are available free online.

Do you like Sheridan Le Fanu as well?

Emma

OMG, I can't believe how many people (adults) are admitting to rereading Harry Potter. Now I don't feel so bad!!! When life gives me a tough day, I love being able to just drop into a fantasy world where magic really happens.