The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Centaur Aisle by Piers Anthony.

Old National Geographics, don't know if that counts.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

I had to throw out a copy of Fatal Vision by Joe McGinniss because I couldn't stop re-reading it. Sort of like putting the leftover cake down the garbage disposal so you won't eat it.

I have read Who Killed My Daughter? by Lois Duncan many times. Another one I have read over and over is Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer, and I could read it again tomorrow.

I know I would get flamed for this one over on the books you hate thread, but I have read Catcher in the Rye many, many times, both as a reader, and as a teacher. I love it. Another one I teach but would read over and over anyway is All Quiet on the Western Front.

I read Harriet the Spy and Wrinkle in Time many times as a kid and have always wanted to revisit them.

Love the Pullman His Dark Materials trilogy, and it's always a shame when the movie version bombs, because I think the books were overshadowed even more by Potter. And they are so worth reading.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Shaara! Indeed! Similarly, Sharon Kay Penman. BTW how the heck do you pronounce Auel? Ow-well? Ahll?

Paula
    For books 1-3- " 'Ah! Well!' These are great!"
    For book 4- " 'Oh Well', not great, but not bad"
    For books 5 & 6- " 'Auel'- does that rhyme with AWFUL?"
    ~Living the life I imagined~

3 members found this post helpful.

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome. The only book I've ever read that makes me laugh out loud.

1 members found this post helpful.

The Little Prince. Every five years it reads like a new book for me.

I'm a voracious reader, love fantasy genre stuff, so Harry Potter is always an option, but some lesser known stuff too like Dragon Slippers and the Temeraire series.

The most re-read book in my library is I Am The Great Horse by Katherine Roberts. It's Alexander the Great's conquest from the point of view of Bucephalus, his famous horse. But it's a great fiction read, and he actually thinks like a horse would think (Jitterbug but better). I highly recommend it, I've read it 5+ times and I'll probably go read it again now cuz I'm thinking about it.
    Of the heart-aching, hard-working, hope-having, horse-loving and horse-less variety. We are a sad species indeed.

Anything by Jilly Cooper, Anne McCaffrey and the Outlander series. All of my copies are beat up from decades of reading and re-reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaladon View Post
    Centaur Aisle by Piers Anthony.
    I love that series but sadly, lost some of the older ones to water damage, Centaur Aisle among them.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Heralds of Valdemar -Magic's Pawn, Magic's Promise, Magic's Price. My problem with Mercedes Lackey is that she doesn't always follow her own history and backstory so you read a later book about a past character and he has a new history (Stef the former thief comes to mind).Paula
    If you think she's confusing, try the Thieves' World series. It's a dozen or so writers playing in the same sandbox and with each others characters.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

[The Power of One by Bryce Cortenay. It's finally available for Kindle and I love knowing it's on my iPad and waiting for me at any time.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

To Kill a Mockingbird, definitely, and Jane Austen. Also, Lord of the Rings. I used to reread War and Peace every few years, but I haven't now for quite awhile. The Wind in the Willows.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

Little Women is one of mine. I can open it up just about anywhere in the book and be immersed in it immediately.

From Piers Anthony, I've reread the Apprentice Adept series so many times I could practically quote them. However, I only like the first three (Split Infinity, Blue Adept and Juxtaposition) - the next couple in the series just don't do anything for me.

A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeline L'Engle is also an old favorite.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

I also want to re-read War & Peace and The City of Dreaming Books.

River God by Wilbur Smith is my desert island book (the "if I were trapped on a desert island with only one book, what book would I want to have" book).

I revisit Charles de Lint's books often. The Dragonriders of Pern series. The Heralds of Valdemar, Dick Francis. Conn Iggulden's Emperor series - his series about the Mongol Khans (Genghis and his successors) will likely become a repeated read. L.E. Modesitt, Jr's Recluce series, and Corean Chronicles series.

I re-read a lot. There is no way I could afford to read something new all the time given the amount I read. I did cull about 1/3 of my book collection a couple of years ago and re-read a bunch of those that got the boot. I decided I probably wouldn't want to read them again after that. Most got donated to the library for their fundraising book sale.

I was once talking to someone who was astonished at the idea of re-reading a book. He asked me why I would do that. I asked him if he'd watch a movie he'd already seen, and said it was like that. The journey through the story was enjoyed for itself, not just to find out how it ends.

Watership Down by Richard Adams

All of the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

The Bean Trees and Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver

Star Wars by George Lucas

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

The Outsiders by SE Hinton

Black Gold by Marguerite Henry

A Little Bit Sideways by Scott Huler

I'm sure there are others as well....

Oh absolutely To Kill A Mockingbird! And Lonesome Dove, and Portion for Foxes for srue, and Presumed Innocent, and Prince of Tides, and Native Tongue (Carl Hiaasen).
    LOVED LOVED LOVED Harriet the Spy!!!
    and Lois Duncan had another book, the Gift of Magic, that I adored! The New Girls, by Beth Gutcheon
    Love, Dad by Evan Hunter
    The Secret of Pooduck Island!!!

And anything by Marguerite Henry!! King of the Wind was my absolute favorite!

Oh this list can get long, gonna just do the first ten that come into my head!

The Little Prince
    A Wrinkle In Time
    ALL of the Chronicles of Narnia
    Lolita
    Anything Vonnegut, especially The Sirens of Titan
    Catcher in the Rye
    The Jungle
    Sophies Choice
    The Bean Trees
    Their Eyes Were Watching God
    Howl's Moving Castle
    The Ethics of What We Eat
    "Sit back and prepare to be pissed off!"

Eventer, Ballerina, Dancer, Model, and Waitress Extraordinaire (cos a girls gotta eat!).

The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper. It was Harry Potter before Harry Potter. Beautiful lyrical writing.

Before I sold it for $150, my original edition of The Show Gypsies by Leigh Brown. The only reason I sold it was because I had it memorized.

Ditto everyone else with Anne McCaffrey, Dick Frances, and Rita Mae Brown.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by JBCool View Post
    Most anything Dick Francis ...
    Ha! I have re-read many Dick Francis books, but not on purpose. I can never remember which ones I've read, so there have been many times when I've bought a paperback at a garage sale or thrift shop and not realized until getting home that I'd read it before. But they are so good, I just read them again.

My favorite was the one where the protagonist was a professional groom specializing in transporting horses by air to foreign countries. He was also a pilot, and therein lies the plot... (See what I mean? I can't remember titles).