The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Books you read again and again

A spin-off of the Books you can't finish thread...

I find there are certain books I periodically re-read, and I would love to see what captivates other COTHers.

My list includes:
    The Ginger Tree
    Possession (although I still can't make it through all the poetry)
    The Poisonwood Bible
    Flambards

Nothing lately! But when I was a young teen a could re-read Christopher Pike books over and over again, lol.

1 members found this post helpful.

I haven't reread a book for many years either. Too many things in my "To be read" pile! But when I did reread books, I think that these were reread the most-

Dune by Frank Herbert

Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkein
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Dick Francis novels (there are enough that you can read one or two a year and forget the plots after a few years!)

King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (but I skip the worst bits)

There must be more because I sure pack up a lot of books each time I move!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

2 members found this post helpful.

I've re-read all of my Stephen King books at least three times each, and I have quite a selection. I think 'Salem's Lot is the front-runner with five times.

I'm about to re-read the first two books in the A Discovery of Witches trilogy. I'm not sure when the third book is coming out, but the series is definitely a favorite.

One of my favorite books growing up was "Up Country", and I read that several times as well. Along with the Black Stallion books, of course.

King of the Wind is still one of my favorites.

I'm glad another poster mentioned this one...The Giver. I LOVE that book. I might have to hunt it down now!

I'm about half way through the first Discovery of Witches... I LOVE it! I've been working on it since the beginning of winter though, so I keep having to go back and restart it. I just never have enough time, it seems like, and (to me) it reads slowly.

I love anything in the Outlander series, and will reread them constantly.

And... because I'm a nerd... Harry Potter.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Richard Bach's Bridge Across Forever
    LOTR
    For quirky sci-fi, David Brinn's Startide Rising
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    And... because I'm a nerd... Harry Potter.
    Me too. I always have one on my Kindle as a "backup book" for when I have nothing else to read. I can read a few chapters here and there of any one of them and be totally happy. The only one I won't reread is #2 because Professor Lockhart annoys me.

I reread Harry Potter a lot, especially when I'm feeling too stressed and too adult and just need to escape to a comfortable place for a little bit. Harry Potter for me is like the literary equivalent of sweatpants.

11 members found this post helpful.

Metropolitan Life - Fran Lebowitz
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

I have read Watership Down so many times that I broke the binding and had to get another one. I also broke the binding on King of the Wind.

As corny as it sounds, I love the Time Traveler's Wife and have read that a few times.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Harry Potter is one. Jonathon Livingston Seagull is one that i've been reading and rereading since high school. Where the Red Fern Grows is another.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (strange, coming from a nonbeliever; but I really just love this book.) I read it about every other year, and have for over 15 years now.

Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. They're such great stories, and so fun, and there's a lot of wordplay that can be easily missed in the first (several) reads, because the plots are so engaging. I own them all, and have read each at LEAST twice. I've read many more than twice!

When I hit my late 20s, I decided to re-read a lot of classics that I'd been exposed to in high school or early undergrad. I found that my tastes had changed a lot in some ways; and in almost every circumstance, the book spoke to me differently than it had when I was younger. This isn't surprising when I think about it; but it was surprising to experience it.
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

I was a voracious reader as a child, so most of my "reread" arsenal is from childhood. It happens But it does make me happy to have a Kindle so I feel a little less self-conscious reading in public. I especially enjoy Harry Potter and Mary Poppins (any in the series).

In adult land, though, I have a few non-fiction books I like to read and reread. "All in the Timing" is actually a series of one-act plays, so not actually non-fiction but... yeah. And some books related to spirituality, religion, health, etc.

Of course, Harry Potter!

And just remembered, I like to give 1984 and The Chrysalids a whirl every couple of years.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I'm an old Geek, I will never tire of all the Harry Potter books, They are so charming, Reading them is like being with an old friend. They just make me happy!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I'm with the OP on The Ginger Tree

Have also re-read (many times) Shogun, A Woman of Substance and The Wheel of Fortune. Awesome novels!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

The Golden Compass trilogy when I need an escape (in addition to Harry Potter), Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Friend when I want to feel spiritual/humored, and The Bell Jar whenever I feel sad or lonely. They're all like old friends that I need to visit every once in a while.

I reread most of Jane Austen about once a year. And because I'm a Lewis and Clark/Little Bighorn/Indian Wars nerd, I reread Lewis and Clark's journals and Son Of The Morning Star by Evan McConnell for a terrific all-encompassing and witty account of the LBH fight. I can pick either up and randomly pick a page and jump right in. I love them for that!

Two more nonfiction books I enjoy rereading are Under The Banner Of Heaven (Krakauer) and Confederates in the Attic (Horwitz). At least 4X for each.

I have a pretty large library and I reread everything a bunch of times. I do love books I do I do.

Oooh, Shogun! I LOVED that book---must rummage about and find it-pretty sure I have it. Thanks