The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon13 View Post
    But, I love the helmet rule. And for those mourning the idea of "spending money" on a helmet - you can get a nice, show-worthy helmet for around $100-$150 (http://www.doversaddlery.com/charles...r8/p/X1-36209/). If you really are doing that much showing, you spend that much in ONE DAY. The helmet will last for years.
    If you go back and read the posts you will find that no one was lamenting spending money on a helmet. We were lamenting having already spent money on top hats that are now useless. I personally have a lovely helmet that I wear every day and I would bet the others who made such comments also already own helmets, although I can't speak for them.

I hate the idea of vests. Maybe for days where they waive hunt coats (mercifully we have few of those in the PNW). The shad is tradition and a right of passage. I hate seeing people looking to throw tradition out the window without care.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks to MyssMyst and the info that top hats are still used in Arab-world, I may have a buyer. Trainer at our barn will take mine if it fits! Fingers crossed. Saw a Grand Prix top hat that was marked down from $500ish to $99 on Dovers site. today.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

1 members found this post helpful.

Many sidesaddle riders still wear top hats, so that's another avenue to pursue for those looking to rehome theirs.

Reiners? I cant even watch it anymore.

Maybe dressage horses would be safer if we were allowed to warm up like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h5S1zIk-II

Now days people are getting "warning" for ONE action like this let alone miserable pony 12 o clock whole session.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post

Now days people are getting "warning" for ONE action like this let alone miserable pony 12 o clock whole session.
    Ick, I hated that video. I had no idea!

I can't understand your last sentence. Can you translate for me?
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    If you go back and read the posts you will find that no one was lamenting spending money on a helmet. We were lamenting having already spent money on top hats that are now useless. I personally have a lovely helmet that I wear every day and I would bet the others who made such comments also already own helmets, although I can't speak for them...
    I did read the posts. Check out Valentina_32926, post #28 on page 2. That's what I was responding to, though I didn't want it to seem like a personal attack on her financial situation, so I didn't quote her post in mine. Maybe I should have to have been clearer. She mentioned "not being able to show for a while" as though it would take a while to save the money for a helmet. Maybe I mis-read that, but I wanted to show her that it's possible to keep showing now and buy a helmet too.

Just trying to be helpful by linking to a quality helmet for a low-ish price so she can keep showing. *shrug*

Im just saying no matter how miserable you ride they dont warn you or flag you like they do in dressage.

Sure they will stand at X all day. Some of them wouldnt eat the grass in front of them if you didnt say so... Blech.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Topaz View Post
    Many sidesaddle riders still wear top hats, so that's another avenue to pursue for those looking to rehome theirs.
    Side saddle classes at USEF rated competitions are subject to GR 801.2 just like any other H/J class.

I think this rule change for dressage was announced quite a while ago. Why does it seem like a surprise to some posters?

UPDATE on my pricy top hat...SOLD to the first looker. Trainer who comes to our barn shows Arabs at breed shows (with a fair amount of success). Always wanted one but wouldn't spend $ on new one. I gave her a great deal so I wouldn't have to mess around advertising, etc. and really you have to try them on for fit anyway. THANKS COTHERS for suggestions.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Charlotte DuJardin (Spell?) certainly has no problem with them,
    And if one could ride that well, who cares what is on your head.
    Not that I would ever achieve that level but I think it looks fine. People are not looking at the dress.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post

I thought Rolkur was not permitted at an FEI show. What would you call that?

Tophats can be used to cover helmet hair between rides.

Default I didn't know you could use German and reining in the same sentence.

Beg pardon. I haven't seen it done that way here. It's called "reining" not "bitting".