The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any adults with tubes in their ears?

Poor li'l rivenoak has eustachian tubes that didn't change their angle & continues to have middle ear infections that never drain on their own.

At age 7, he's on about his 5th set of PE tubes and one has fallen out. And that ear has fluid in it again. So, another surgery is going to have to be scheduled.

I don't think I've had an ear infection in my life. Mr. rivenoak had them through his teen years, but not since.

Did any of you never outgrow having ear infections & still have tubes in?

This adds insult to injury, as he's hard of hearing anyhow & to have the "better" ear jammed up with goo is making him effectively deaf.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

I have tubes in my ears. They were put in when I was three and they stayed in even when they were supposed to fall out, which bothers me a bit, but another issue.

I use ear drops (swimmers ear) after the shower or swim as I still get water in my ears. If I discontinue the drops for a week or so, then my ear gets sore and I start to get an infection. I always wonder if my ears would have been better if they fell out.

I have issues with hearing, buzzing, sensitive to loud sounds. I can't go into the movie theater without ear plugs or else I honestly get sick from the sound. I'm not sure if it is from the tubes or something else, but they are problematic.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

1 members found this post helpful.

My dad, who is 72, has had.them for 42 years. He was in an accident loading a piece of machinery onto a trailer....machine slid off and pinned dad under it for several.hours. In addition to almost losing an arm (they grafted a vein from his leg into his arm to repair the one the machine crushed), he also broke his jaw and crushed his eustachian tube on one side. His ears don't drain since there's nothing to drain into. He gets a new tube every 4 or 5 years and has to go to his ENT every now and then to get his ear 'degunked.' His hearing's not so great, but he's been married for 50 years (so it could be selective hearing loss! Lol) and he's worked construction for 45 years. That has a lot to do with it, too.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FLeventer View Post
    I use ear drops (swimmers ear) after the shower or swim as I still get water in my ears. If I discontinue the drops for a week or so, then my ear gets sore and I start to get an infection. I always wonder if my ears would have been better if they fell out.
    Do the drops sting?
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~