The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Another vote for Subaru. Put 150k on mine and gave it to daughter who added another 100k.

The only reason I traded for a Jeep Cherokee was that I needed more ground clearance, power, and interior room.
    Last edited by Frank B; Apr. 1, 2013 at 05:31 PM.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

1 members found this post helpful.

We have a Jetta Sportwagen and we are really, really happy with it. I've gotten 50+ MPG on long highway trips, and it seems to get about 30-36 with my city driving. I found out it can hold five people and luggage for a 10-day trip recently, when I drove my folks and their friends to the airport.

In general, it can hold Mr. Emryss, a few dogs in crates, and all my show gear quite comfortably. It can hold Mr. Emryss' road bike easily with the seats down.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Love my Subaru Outback too. Never thought I'd be a station wagon person, but I love it. And since I live in New England, it's nice to know that I can get where I need to go, whatever the weather.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Another who loves their Subaru Outback! We have an '08, so it's still truly a wagon, not a crossover like the new models. Just hit the 100,000 mile mark this weekend and it'll hopefully last 200,000 more. Tons of trunk space (for the 4 leggeds) and we could (if the need ever arose) fit a car seat or two in the back seat with no problem. We also have a roof rack box that can fit tons of stuff for long road trips. And the AWD is pretty stellar. I average right under 30 mpg every tank, better than that if I'm on the highway.

I had a newer model Volvo wagon in college and it was nothing but trouble! The older Volvos could be driven into the ground, but I found out the hard way that more recent (the past 15 years or so) models just don't hold up the way the brand used to. It was IMPOSSIBLE to get parts for and everything was much more expensive to get fixed. I've never had that problem with the Subaru because, well, it never breaks! I rarely get it serviced at the dealer and have yet to find anyone who had a problem working on it, unlike my old Volvo.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

Well I do not consider them a station wagon, but the DMV does on my registration
    I adore my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Only vehicle I will ever own again.
    And I do not have a new one.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Toyota Matrix - mine's an '03 and still rocking along.
    My dad has a Subaru WRX wagon (Outback with a turbocharger, I think) and the Matrix has more cargo area. Has a flat rear deck if you drop the rear seats, which is pretty convenient for trips to the feed store or hay dealer (I can fit 10 bales of chopped alfalfa from the former, 6 bales of grass hay from the latter... ) Is also a great dog car - it'll fit 4 30" crates in the back if I need to. Mileage (with all wheel drive) is still high 20s/30+ on a road trip.

Quote Originally Posted by cranky View Post
    Love my Subaru Outback too.
    Me, like, twenty-three!

I also loved the BMW wagon I used to have.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I'm totally in love with Subarus. I had a '99 Forester first, then my Mom got an '03 Legacy. I traded my older Forester in last year for a low-mileage '05 Forester, and then my Dad bought a low-mileage '02 Outback wagon I've converted them all! AWD, decent gas mileage, and they run forever.

I had a VW station wagon - honestly forget the model, it was back in the late 80's early 90's - that thing went and went and went. I really loved it. I gave it to my sister when I bought a Saturn, and she had it for a long time until she got t-boned and it was totaled.

People who have Outbacks just rave about them. The only downside I've heard is that they are sort of a rough ride, especially if you are used to a really smooth ride.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I LOVE my Subaru too. I've got about 175K miles so far (2003) and haven't had any major problems except basic wear and tear issues. The AWD makes you feel like you're velcroed to the road.

Mileage is OK. It was worth upgrading the stereo to better speakers and tweeters. Seats are comfy and it's a well put-together car.

There's a Mazda model that's built like an extended wagon that may work for you too.

My mom has had a long string of VW station wagons- they are good cars, good gas mileage too. Her Passat has AWD is big enough for people, stuff and two large dogs in the back.

I had an Audi station wagon, 6 speed manual tranny. Got 30+mpg on the highway, AWD. Too small for what you want tho. Oh, and I don't know if this matters to you or not, but its virtually impossible to do burnouts with AWD.

Default Another Subaru vote

My daughter and son-in-law purchased a new Subaru Outback a few years ago. I think its ride is pretty smooth, there's plenty of leg room in the back seat, and it's nice to drive.

It's also holds up well in car accidents. Shortly after they purchased the Outback they were rear-ended on the interstate by someone texting while trying to make a lane change and didn't notice that traffic, including my daughter and son-in-law, had stopped in front of him. So the stupid driver was going over 60 mph when he hit the stopped Outback.

Next was a recent incident which involved my daughter (driver) stopped at a red light when a stupid driver rear-ended the Outback because he was looking to change lanes at 35 mph and didn't notice the light had turned red.

The Outback was repaired after the first accident. I went with my daughter to take the Outback in for repair work after the second accident. After inspecting the car the repair guy could not believe how good of shape it was in. We decided the Outback was a tank in disguise.

So my husband and I are looking at Subaru for our next car.

Quote Originally Posted by volvo_240 View Post
    Love love love wagons. Its the new hipster SUV . Check out the latest Subaru ( I think its called a cross track?). Its a Legacy chassis with a wagonesq body. Rated over 25mpg I believe.

If mileage is less of an issue I still love Volvos but the newer ones are $$$ to purchase and maintain. If you don't care about AWD the Jetta TDI wagon is pretty sweet.
    I have a forrester but I thought the cross track would not be available in the US until Sept. 2013 ?

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    I have a forrester but I thought the cross track would not be available in the US until Sept. 2013 ?
    The dealership where I go for oil changes has had them for a long time. Maybe you are thinking of the new hybrid version?

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    No hybrid yet I think but a client 100% pulled up in one today, and another was all smiles about the one he had just picked this weekend. It looks a bit like a 4 door, slightly boxier Impreza to me.

Now if I could get a hybrid diesel wagon in the US without the added expense of a European vacation and shipping, I'd be in heaven. I'd trade Mr. 240 (the human not the car ) for that.

Have you looked at the Ford Transit?

A friend of mine just got the Subaru Crosstek - it's very nice! I'll be looking at one when I can finally get a daily driver and let my Tundra just do farm/towing duty.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

My only issue with Subaru, well no not the only one, but the gas milage is not that great. The cross trek which is suppose to be better I will check into.

Ford Flex....that boxy looking thing. Drove one on a test drive and later rented one for a week on a trip. Great handling! All the seats fold down and close to the same amount of room as our Expedition. Most the newer suv wannabes
    were very claustrophopic...large front consoles, sloping sides, smaller windows.

Default Another vote for a Subaru!

Had one eons ago(long before kids were in the picture) and LOVED it. Drove the heck out of it, and I am NOT kind to my vehicles. The AWD really did work. While our house was under construction we took it "mudding" in the back section of the lot and could not get it stuck no matter how hard we tried! Also loved how much cargo space it had, especially with the back seat folded down. Actually slept in the back on a camping trip when it got colder then expected one night and the tent just wasn't cutting it. Ended up selling it when the AC went out. The guy who bought it wanted something to haul his bands instruments and surfboards all at the same time. Regretted selling it for awhile. Other then the AC and regular maintenance it ran perfect.

We will be car shopping again this fall to replace my Camry(being passed down to my daughter when she gets her license), while I would love to buy a new Wrangler, I need at least one economical vehicle. We are torn between another Camry or a Subaru.