The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Speak to me of station wagons...

I know that there are lots of car threads floating around, but a search didn't bring up quite what I'm looking for.

We are in the market for a new car, since DH's round trip to work is almost 60 miles, his smaller SUV isn't working out for him, gas wise. We also won't be able to fit two kiddo contraptions in the back and still allow him to drive comfortably. The way back is also pretty tight for two dogs to hang out in comfortably on longer trips.

We're looking at getting something that's a little bigger, to fit both the kids, both the dogs, and the luggage when we make the 900 miles treks home. It also needs to be good on gas since it'll be his daily driver. Any suggestions on something safe and reliable? I'm guessing a station wagon will be the best fit for what we need (much to DH's dismay). We've been looking at just about everything. FWIW he drives a Jeep Compass at the moment, and gets about 23 mpg with it, which isn't bad. It just can't fit everybody.

COTH never fails, it seems!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Subaru!

3 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Subaru Subaru Subaru Subaru Subaru.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

2 members found this post helpful.

I had a Dodge Magnum that I absolutely adored, but I must concur with the above. Subaru is the way to go.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

1 members found this post helpful.

Definitely get something that has a dealer convenient to you. A friend bought the convertible Mini Cooper, and it's a two hour drive to the nearest dealer.

How about the Prius V? Station wagon model, great mileage, very reliable. Good cargo space, and nice finishings.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

2 members found this post helpful.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

My mom had a Subaru wagon she put over 300k miles on. When we had to get a new car last year, I would have happily gone with one if DH could have fit in one.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Volvo or Subaru for sure, depending on your budget
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I'm driving my friend's brand new (1400 miles) Subaru Outback, which I have affectionately named Soobi, while she is out of town for a while.

I LOVE IT!!!

I am now getting one, eventually. I miss my friend but I'm gonna cry when she comes home. Not sure which package it is, and I'm pretty sure it isn't the CVT (single gear transmission) because I feel some shifting, but the seats are comfortable, it's roomy, it's tall off the ground, drives friggin awesome, has a ton of nice features (seat heater, yay! backup camera, interesting! sun roof, neato! other ones like talk-to-text, etc etc that I don't bother exploring). Cons: Stereo is mediocre at best. Mileage on this bad boy isn't totally exciting, it says 20.1 mpg for my last two trips 1.5 miles from home to work, but friend says she got 26 mpg or so on trips off the island. Pros: DUDE. I love it, and I am NOT a station wagon person. No kids, none planned, never even owned a car before, just trucks. And with the taller design and new front end design, it looks more bad ass than a station wagon could have pulled off before. Plus with the new ones, my friend was telling all these awesome bonuses from Subaru like towing to a Subaru dealer if you break down, if you are more than X miles from home they will arrange transport or put you in a hotel until the car is fixed or you can provide lodging, etc etc. Kick ass warranty too.

It's so nice to drive that I pretended to be car sick so I could drive it back on the island when we went to the movies last week....shhh don't tell, please, DH hates not driving.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Take a look at the Honda mini-van. Worked well for DH's DD and her family. She especially appreciated sliding doors on both sides.
    Know another person who purchased one to transport her dogs, while having both good gas mileage plus some zip under the hood.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

'92 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser.

God, I miss that car.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Ford Edge. Lots of room in the front, back seats and cargo area. Gas mileage about the same as your Compass, love the Sync communication feature and (in my area at least) Ford runs specials on them all the time.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I drove a Volvo wagon in high school, and looked at that route again, but the mileage isn't there
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by nhwr View Post
    Ford Edge. Lots of room in the front, back seats and cargo area. Gas mileage about the same as your Compass, love the Sync communication feature and (in my area at least) Ford runs specials on them all the time.

I'm not sure a Ford Edge or a Subaru will be larger than the Compass. I bought a Compass (Love it!) in February and it's much larger inside than it looks outside. I can haul 3 bales of hay plus a bagged "bale" of alfalfa and 4 50 lb bags of feed at one time (with a Jack Russell supervising!).

The standard Dodge Journey is the same as a Compass, but they have one that is made for 3rd row seating. I wonder if that one would give you the extra room you need?
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Love love love wagons. Its the new hipster SUV . Check out the latest Subaru ( I think its called a cross track?). Its a Legacy chassis with a wagonesq body. Rated over 25mpg I believe.

If mileage is less of an issue I still love Volvos but the newer ones are $$$ to purchase and maintain. If you don't care about AWD the Jetta TDI wagon is pretty sweet.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

TheJenners- if you don't need the size of the Outback when car-buying time comes around, look at the Impreza. It's sort of the Civic to the Outback's Accord, and the mileage is accordingly better.

I reeeeeeeeeeeeally wanted an Impreza or older (smaller) Outback when I was car shopping, but ultimately couldn't justify the expense of the additional fuel compared to the Civic I got. If I lived somewhere that I needed AWD I would have one in a hot second. My dad had an Outback and I loved that car; then I drove a former trainer's on a horse shopping expedition. 3AM, sleeting, ice on the roads, driving up and down the side of a mountain, oh and did I mention I'm a lousy night driver because of crappy eyesight? I felt so safe in that grippy car.

ETA volvo_240- The Crosstrek. OMG. I went to look it up. They've finally made a Subaru hybrid! I know what my next car will be. (Can you see the animated hearts coming out of my eyes?)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Wow! Thanks everybody!

We have been leaning towards a Subaru (DH loves the AWD, since our family is all up north) but also thinking about mini-vans. I'm not sure if the gas mileage is there when it comes to the vans.

The biggest problem with a Subaru is that it'll be really hard for me not to steal it for MY daily driver. Hefting kids in and out of my Ram is sight to see and I kind of pale at the thought of lifting one of those handled baby buckets in and out again. I got awesome biceps, I suppose. However, at 15 mpg, it's not the best option for him.

My Mom had a Volvo for us when we were younger. It was one of the cool ones with the seats that faced backwards. We looked at the XC70s, but they are a wee bit over our budget.

Does anybody have any experiences with VW Tiguans? I drove a Passat that I wanted to love forever and ever, but it got totaled (thanks, honey).
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I had a terrible experience with a Subaru and don't trust the company anymore.

I just got a VW Jetta Sportwagen and LOVE IT! My husband clocked it at 53 MPG on a 200 mile drive.

Mercedes wagon. I bought mine used from a dealer (it was about 2 yrs old) and it was a lot more affordable that way. It's been 12 yrs and 200K miles and its still going strong. Got broadsided in an accident about 5 yrs ago and was very glad to be in such a solidlt built car.
    The back seat collapses down so you can have the back be a flat bed for storing things - in my case, carrying large bags for horse feed. It handles well and gets pretty good mileage too. Its such a classic style that I dont think it will ever look old!

I'm not sure a Ford Edge or a Subaru will be larger than the Compass.
    Jeep Compass Cargo Volume (rear seat and front passenger seat folded) 62.7 cubic feet
    Ford Edge Cargo Volume (behind front row, can still use front passenger seat) 68.9 cubic feet. Passenger volume 108.4 cubic feet
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

A VW Jetta diesel sportwagon is on my short list next time we car hunt. I haven't driven one yet, but love the fuel economy along with a small station wagon for hauling feed.