The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone do the Dave Ramsey financial program?

How has that worked for you? I would love to hear everyone's stories since DH and I have just started really budgeting and planning everything out.

I use some of it, and don't have credit cards etc. I find it is great for saving money and really deciding what you want vs what you need. I also have less random stuff that I would have used once around the house. I like it
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

YES!! I love Dave. I went through FPU a year ago... have 1 more year to go before I'm out of Baby Step #2. I found very little of the information presented was really "new"... but love his presentation. VEry personable and funny. Self depricating at times which is endearing. I don't even mind all the Biblical correlations (not being Christian) as most of the time I can see through the references and still get the meaning in my own heathen ways. The whole process has been on/off for me for many years (I also like Mary Hunt's information, especially her "Freedom Account" ideas, so I'm still encorporating that in with Dave). Stick with it! I just sent a final payment check to my parents a month ago on an outstanding loan they gave me many years ago. It was FUN and definitely motivating to stick with the plan and get the next one paid off (despite wanting to go play with the ponies at shows, clinics and lessons more and more). Tradeoffs. It will be worth it in the end.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I do You Need A Budget. http://www.youneedabudget.com/

YNAB uses the "envelopes" idea in a more modern way, IMO. There is no way I am sticking real dollar bills into real envelopes; that's asking for me to lose them!

I started in January & am seeing great progress already. Getting rainy day funds built up is a good feeling. I also have a better handle on exactly where my money should go and is actually going. It's a very flexible system, so if I "overspend" in one area this week, I just change my budget accordingly.

Also, I like that there is a YNAB app, so I can enter transactions immediately on my phone and keep the budget completely up to date.

Good luck with whatever money management tool you choose!
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

We are starting to implement a lot of his stuff, since we took a significant pay cut coming down here and are finding ourselves in a bit of hot water, financially. I can't really comment on how it works, but we're excited to give it a try.

We got the boxed set at a family event this year, and the book has a lot of great points! It's kind of sad, thinking about all the things we'll be cutting out, but we know that it's for the best in the long run!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

there's also an app called Electronic Envelope Budgeting Assistant (EEBA). You set up what "envelopes" you have, how much is in each (along with deposits, automatic or manual) and then you can enter what you spend and how much comes out of each electronic envelope... which in turn will tell you how much is left.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

We use Dave Ramsey. We don't follow it to a "T" though. We paid off our debt, but we didn't do the "beans and rice and rice and beans". We still ate healthy, but within the budget. It only took us a couple of months to pay it down since we didn't really have huge debt to begin with. It also helped that my parents paid off my student loan (they love to help us out with stuff but since they moved 1000 miles away, they sometimes feel the guilt of not being here. A month or so after we mentioned to them what we were doing, they offered my brother and I $2500 each to help with any debt. So that helped lol!) We are currently working on our emergency 3 month expenses savings. We are only doing 3 months right now because both of our jobs are very secure.

Next we will be saving up for a hefty deposit for a new car for me. We will finance - if we were following DR to the "T" we would not get a car loan and either keep my car or get another beater. But my next car I will be keeping for 10 years, so it is important to me to choose one I love and one with a clean slate. We will pay it off within a couple of years. We are also going to start putting extra towards the mortgage... and sometime soon I want a horse damn it! Hopefully soon

The best thing about having a budget and a keeping a spreadsheet of everything, it that i always know how much is going into savings every day. We start clean each month. It is inevitable that things will come up and it is lovely to know that we have money to cover it without having to go into savings.

We do! It's allowed us (both as full time college students) to live a life quite unknown to most college kids. Our only debt left is student loans (most of which are mine) and should be paid off in three years or less. We paid off medical and credit card debt, paid cash for a wedding, and paid cash for a car in less than a year....

My sister and brother in law actually did their 'Debt Free Scream' from Financial Peace Plaza on his radio show last year -- if you need any inspiration at all, that will do it....hearing people scream "I'M DEBT FREEEEEEEEEEEE!!!" makes you want it all that much more!
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    there's also an app called Electronic Envelope Budgeting Assistant (EEBA). You set up what "envelopes" you have, how much is in each (along with deposits, automatic or manual) and then you can enter what you spend and how much comes out of each electronic envelope... which in turn will tell you how much is left.
    That's good to know. Is it specifically a DR thing or just fits in well with his program?
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

I work with a company that helps families implement Dave Ramsey principles and it makes such a huge difference for them. Such great principles!

Quote Originally Posted by rivenoak View Post
    That's good to know. Is it specifically a DR thing or just fits in well with his program?
    I don't think it's from him specifically. Nice thing is that it's free and yes, it fits with his system well.

Absolutely. I listen to his radio show every day. I started 2 years ago, and am nearly out of debt. I just bought a new Toyota pickup and paid cash. I would never ever have even considered doing that before becoming a "follower". I don't use credit anymore, saved enough in a savings account that is the same amount that a credit card would be, so I never have to use one again. And Im finally able to save money. It totally turned around my entire financial life. Only regret I have is I didnt listen to him 20 years ago.

2 members found this post helpful.

My SO got me doing the Dave thing and it works great for me. I have really enjoyed budgeting and watching my savings account grow. The only debt I have is my mortgage.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

1 members found this post helpful.