The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default LifeProof or Otterbox?

I have an Otterbox Defender. It has served me well. Last November I got bucked off and landed on my phone and the Otterbox cracked. One thing led to another and now I should probably replace it because a phone case held together with duct tape is a little tacky.

Opinions on the Defender vs. the LifeProof for an iPhone 4? Or put another way, is there any reason I should spring for a new LifeProof rather than replacing the plastic portion of my Otterbox?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quick summary of differences IME:

Otterbox (Defender): Cons: bulkier, not truly waterproof, bottom rubber flap over the charging slot always tears off. Pros: can use non-OEM chargers, screen protector is closer to actual screen, rubber outer is non-slip so stays put (on the dashboard, or, ahem, on top of the car) better.

LifeProof: Cons: slippery case, may not have room for non-OEM chargers, screen protector has a bit of a gap so requires you to press harder. Pros: truly waterproof, slimmer design, doesn't have rubber that deforms and tears.

Both seem to be great at impact protection. My iPhone came with Otterbox Defender via work, as did my husband's. He wasn't as careful about the charger flap, the rubber covering bit the dust, I got him a LifeProof to replace. He had long since killed the OEM car charger, and the aftermarket charger (much less $$$) did not fit with the LifeProof. So, since he mostly relies on the car charger, he took off the LifeProof and his phone is naked for the moment. My phone takes much more abuse, but aside from having to cut off the charger flap, my Otterbox is still alive and keeping the phone alive too. I will probably replace it, if ever needed, with a LifeProof, since I still use my OEM wall charger most of the time. I should probably just swap with DH, come to think of it....

Thanks, that is exactly what I needed! The "slippery case" of the LifeProof rules it out for me- the grippy silicone on my Defender has saved it a few times. I've never had a problem with any of the flaps.

Off to order a replacement Otterbox case. Wish the plastic case came in green, but it's not like you see much of it!
    - Harry Dresden

I've had both. I really liked the slimmer profile of the lifeproof, but I dropped the phone out of my hand and the corner of the case broke. WTH. So I'm back to the defender.

However, Otterbox is coming out with it's own lifeproof-type case. So I'm hopefully I'll like it.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

I've only had the Otterbox, however I've dropped my iPhone too many times to count now and since the whole thing (case and phone) is still in perfect condition, I'd be loathe to try anything else.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

I've had both (for an iPhone 4S) and I prefer the Otterbox. Grasshopper had great pros and cons for both. I loved the slimmer design of the Lifeproof case, but agree that the screen laying flatter with the Otterbox and the issue with the chargers were two big "pros" with me. The big part of my decision, though, was the holster for each. Both cases made the phone too big to fit in the pockets of my breeches (those pockets are always TINY) so I find a holster necessary for my phone so I can keep it on me when I'm at the barn/riding (I always want my phone on me when I'm there just in case of emergencies). The Lifeproof holster broke after a few months, maybe four? I've never had trouble with the Otterbox holsters. Worst part about the case durability I've found is the little tabs which was previously mentioned and I figure I can handle that if the actual case and holster work!

OP, just wanted you to know that I read the title as "proof of litterbox"....

I have a Lifeproof and it's not even remotely "slippery." It has grippy rubber all the way around the sides and a textured back. Also, it is waterPROOF, not "water resistent" like the Otterbox. I love my Lifeproof!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    OP, just wanted you to know that I read the title as "proof of litterbox"....
    I think you need another cup of coffee. Grab me one too, will ya?
    - Harry Dresden

I have a Lifeproof and it's not even remotely "slippery." It has grippy rubber all the way around the sides and a textured back. Also, it is waterPROOF, not "water resistent" like the Otterbox. I love my Lifeproof!
    Me too.

I have a Defender (recently acquired after my Commuter broke when I dropped my phone at work) and my mom has a LifeProof. Last week I was out visiting her and wound up carrying around both our phones together. After using them both, I prefer my Defender.

The LifeProof is slimmer but longer and like mentioned above, slipperier. It's all plastic. The way the bottom plug cover is, it is hard to get some chargers in it. Hers also has a really annoying air bubble in the screen that she can't fix because she doesn't know how to remove the case. The upside for her with the LifeProof is that it's waterproof (to an extent) and she spends a lot of time on the beach. I do like the slimness of it, but the size made it a bit harder to put in my pocket (though it slid in easier, I find the grippies on the Defender get caught on my pants sometimes)

The Defender on the other hand is thickier & a bit heavier, but it has the grippy rubbery back. I have a weird texture thing and really like the smooth rubber feels so I very much like that part of the Defender. I don't like that the little flaps protecting the various ports are a bit hard to get back into place completely, but the ports are more universally accessible than the LifeProof ones seem to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    I think you need another cup of coffee. Grab me one too, will ya?
    You have no no idea!

Lifeproof. We know someone in a dangerous job, and her life proof case has protected her iPhone every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    yes, this. I've dropped it several times, flat and on its corners, and it's just fine. The grippy rubber around the edges makes it easy to hold, but the smooth back means that it's easy to get out of my pocket, unlike a case that's grippy all over.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Default Replace your otterbox!

I love my otterbox and it has served me well. After enduring being dropped, chewed and stepped on, the outer sleeve started to rip. I found a simple form on their website that lets you send in pictures of the damage and they'll send you a free replacement case, no questions asked.

Quote Originally Posted by rumblepony View Post
    I love my otterbox and it has served me well. After enduring being dropped, chewed and stepped on, the outer sleeve started to rip. I found a simple form on their website that lets you send in pictures of the damage and they'll send you a free replacement case, no questions asked.
    Dang! I wish I'd have known that before I replaced my broken Otterbox.

I started with the Otterbox; loved it with my IPhone 3. But the charger flap ripped off within 6 months of getting my iPhone 4. So I replaced it with Lifeproof. I like the slimmer size and that it's waterproof. It has held up well to my bumbling. But, I can only use certain chargers with it and the charger door damages the charger chord. And, again because the case is 'deep', I cannot use plug in earbuds. Bluetooth works fine but sometimes I need earbuds.

Quote Originally Posted by rumblepony View Post
    I thought that applied only to items in warranty. Mine is 2 years old, so definitely out! I'll look again. Thanks for the tip!
    - Harry Dresden

Definitely check out their website for a free exchange. My outer cover stretched out a bit and they replace the whole box for free (not sure but I might have paid for shipping).

I love how everyone's talking about this issue as if the only choices are Otterbox and Lifeproof. If you truly need "waterproof" then Lifeproof is the runaway best choice, but if you're looking for shock protection and some water resistance, there are other options.

There's also the Griffin Survivor (http://www.griffintechnology.com/survivor), which you can see being abused in multiple ways here, including being run over with a car:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmamCkqoQDc

And the Ballistic Hard Core, which has a water resistant mesh over the speakers. It's not waterproof like the Lifeproof, but IMO it's a step up in water resistance from the Otterbox Defender.
    http://www.goballisticcase.com/produ...hc-series-case

(For the record, my iPhone 5 lives in an Otterbox Defender, but that's because I bought the iPhone 5 when it was brand new on the market and the hardcore case options were much more limited.)