The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fee for finding someone a horse

I had a family contact me to help them find a horse for their teenage girl. They offered to pay/compensate me for my help and expertise. We have probably found a horse for them and I'll be going with them to ride him and then offer my opinion and then help them get the horse settled. My question is, what's a fair compensation for my time. I didn't spend a ton of time but I was in contact with local trainers and visited sites and have given them a bunch of advice since they will be first time owners. They asked me last Thanksgiving and it is now April and we might be finalizing a sale. Advice anyone? This is my first and my last time ever doing this. :-)

Sales commission could be a percentage of the purchase price or you could charge a flat base fee. It's one of those things that can vary how it is handled.

Honestly though you should have negotiated/discussed the price of you helping this family horse shop before you started. You might be thinking a 10% commission on a $10,000 sale & they might be planning on a $50 gas card.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

I hadn't planned on taking anything from them because I was trying to help a kid and now they are really wanting to pay me (and now I'm not sure I'll refuse!) so it wasn't something we'd talked about at first. Whatever I do, I won't ask for much.

You could lose your ammy status by accepting money. Just a heads up since you said that this is the first/last time you'd do it. I don't know what your background is or anything like that, but wanted to throw it out there.

Usually it's about 5-10% of the purchase price of the horse + any travel expenses that might come up (so food, meals, lodging, gas, etc). Just to give you a general idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

1 members found this post helpful.

That's a good point. I already toe the amatuer/professional line for showing since I do work with horses full time. Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by minnow519 View Post
    I hadn't planned on taking anything from them because I was trying to help a kid and now they are really wanting to pay me (and now I'm not sure I'll refuse!) so it wasn't something we'd talked about at first. Whatever I do, I won't ask for much.
    Are they asking you how much they should pay you? Why not just tell them to pay what they think is fair, and accept whatever that is as a donation? You'll still be ahead, since you weren't planning on taking anything.

1 members found this post helpful.