The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

one of the things that disturbs me about threads like this one, is that if the people are trying to scam someone into taking their pets, then wouldn't we be better off to help? How often have we heard about horses that need help and people have said "why didn't they ask?!"

I'm not an MD, have never attended med school and if I'm paying a professional who says rehome your cats, I'd do it. If I were rehoming my cats, I would hope that someone would step up and not get all bent out of shape because I wanted to rehome them due to a medical issue.

6 members found this post helpful.

I know a man who was diagnosed with cancer 10 years ago. He downsized his kennel of JRTs, fostered his favorites, went through hellish treatment and TG survived. Last fall that byotch Cancer returned and this time treatment options were limited and the prognosis was poor at best. This time he rehomed ALL his dogs but one which a family member took. It it broke his heart. But he had to travel 8 states away to the only hospital that would try the risky procedure. Sadly it was not a success and he placed the fostered dog in a new home. His Facebook post was simple, "My last dog has a new forever home. My heart is broken. But now I can rest." It's only a matter of days now.

His doctors didn't tell him to get rid of his dogs, but this man is a responsible owner as well as being as tenacious as his terriers.

Each case is different.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    His doctors didn't tell him to get rid of his dogs, but this man is a responsible owner as well as being as tenacious as his terriers.

Each case is different.
    This was heartbreaking to read. But I'm sure I'd at least do something similar. I might not place them, but I'd make sure each had a place to go.

Quote Originally Posted by cleozowner View Post
    Squish, you might already know this, but cat scratch fever comes from flea poop - if you have no fleas, you won't get Bartonella henselae.
    As far as bites, well, young kids should ALWAYS be supervised around pets, regardless of anybody's immune status.

Yes it does...but infections can also be developed from other bacteria on cats teeth and under the nails. Cats bury their urine and feces in litter boxes, and regardless how clean they are kept there is still going to be bacteria in their nails. If they scratch you and create an open scratch - even if they do not have Bartonella, you can have a severe reaction. Even more so with being immunocompromised.

Unfortunately its not realistic for children to be supervised 100% of the time. No matter what anyone says, there will always be a second or a situation where a back can be turned. Also, having a child "supervised" doesnt mean they wont potentially get scratched.

Anyway, Im not advocating getting rid of cats, but when you have children they are the most important thing in life. If cats pose a risk to them, I can understand why soeone would want to rehome them.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogpack View Post
    one of the things that disturbs me about threads like this one, is that if the people are trying to scam someone into taking their pets, then wouldn't we be better off to help? How often have we heard about horses that need help and people have said "why didn't they ask?!"

I'm not an MD, have never attended med school and if I'm paying a professional who says rehome your cats, I'd do it. If I were rehoming my cats, I would hope that someone would step up and not get all bent out of shape because I wanted to rehome them due to a medical issue.

Yes you are right. This person WILL dump them at the shelter very soon so I hope someone is in the area and can take them (as I said in my post). Right or wrong, healthy or not, she's made it clear it will happen.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Ignorance is bliss! This is the only way I can rationalize the COTH response to something like this.

I really feel for the parents in this situation. No one should EVER have to face the possiblity of a child dying. How DARE people here suggest the Dr`s and parents are wrong to rehome a pet.

I can relate 100% because I have done it myself. My cat went to the shelter and was adopted in less than 48 hrs. I knew I was signing over all rights, but I begged them to let me know when he found a home. It wasn`t done for convience or to make my life easier. It was done to make my home safer at that time.

If any of you are parents - take a good long look at one of your children and think about the scarifices in life you would make to keep them alive.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cnigh View Post
    I really feel for the parents in this situation. No one should EVER have to face the possiblity of a child dying. How DARE people here suggest the Dr`s and parents are wrong to rehome a pet.
    I could not understand that either. My kids are older now, but to make a choice between a cat and a child? No choice. None. I would hope I could re-home the cat myself but if not.....

and as I said before, if I'm paying for an expert medical opinion, I might discuss it with the doctor (I think everyone should understand why they are doing something) but in the end, I would probably follow his/her advice.

and I know for a fact that at least one of the posters here has no children and has railed against kids in the past, so they don't have much experience (read: none) in being a parent.

2 members found this post helpful.

Can't someone foster them for her? Pay it forward.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by cnigh View Post
    Ignorance is bliss! This is the only way I can rationalize the COTH response to something like this.

I can relate 100% because I have done it myself. My cat went to the shelter and was adopted in less than 48 hrs. I knew I was signing over all rights, but I begged them to let me know when he found a home. It wasn`t done for convience or to make my life easier. It was done to make my home safer at that time.

If any of you are parents - take a good long look at one of your children and think about the scarifices in life you would make to keep them alive.
    There are a lot of really crappy excuses for rehoming a pet. "My child has cancer" is not one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post

I'm also a little confused about the "small re-homing fee." For what?
    I always caution people to advertise a rehoming fee for any cat or dog they need to place. There are the cat/dog equivalent of slaughter buyers, who lie and pick up "free to good home" pets as lab animals, or even large reptile food. I threw one such person out of my store after he became irate that I wouldn't sell him our discounted kittens for his snake to eat since they were cheaper than teh rabbits at the time.
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 4 Cats, 1 Macaw, 6 (Former) Stepkids

Quote Originally Posted by shayaalliard View Post
    I always caution people to advertise a rehoming fee for any cat or dog they need to place. There are the cat/dog equivalent of slaughter buyers, who lie and pick up "free to good home" pets as lab animals, or even large reptile food. I threw one such person out of my store after he became irate that I wouldn't sell him our discounted kittens for his snake to eat since they were cheaper than teh rabbits at the time.
    Eew. Although, it seems like kittens would be dangerous for a snake. Heck, when I was a reptile wrangler during college, sometimes they'd even get hurt by the rodents we fed them. Anyway, your explanation makes sense.

I wish the lady looking to rehome the cats could hook up with a rescue that might have a foster home for them.

1 members found this post helpful.

Aids patients arent advised to get rid of their cats? That was the goto advice when aids was first identified.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    If they were near Dallas we'd already have them here at the house. :\ So very sad.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Aids patients arent advised to get rid of their cats? That was the goto advice when aids was first identified.
    I think now it depends on the state of the disease (whether they're considered HIV-positive or to have full-blown AIDS, how well-controlled their immune response is by the drugs, etc.) but I can see for more advanced/difficult cases, yes, back before a lot of the drugs were developed AIDS patients were at extremely high risk from toxoplasmosis.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I would but I'm in PA. This is in Ocala FL isn't it?

What a sad story. If I ever win the lottery, I would love to have some kind of small, temporary shelter for situations like this, or for women and children going into domestic violence shelters and so forth, situations that are really temporary and just awful to part with an animal for good. I would never second guess anyone else's decision around this - I will keep my animals no matter what because it would not be worth living without them, but totally understand we all do what we have to for those we love.

1 members found this post helpful.