The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Daughter's Chemo causes need to rehome 2 kitties

Not my daughter but saw this on CL. I can't help but can anyone in the Norther FL area help?

http://ocala.craigslist.org/grd/3716075303.html
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

must admit I don't understand why the daughter being on chemo would make it necessary for the cats to be evicted?

3 members found this post helpful.

Are you kidding me?? Obviously you've not experienced every situation that can erupt when a family member is on chemo.

1 members found this post helpful.

Wendy, chemo makes you really sick and with some medical conditions, they depress the immune system first.

Yes, Dr`s advise you to rehome any pets when your children have cancer. I had to give up a very loved house cat. The risk of infection is just not worth keeping even a beloved pet, when it means life or death to your child.

5 members found this post helpful.

Drs. also advise people with allergies to get rid of their pets. Yet most people do fine with their OWN pets and are usually allergic to other things as well (like mold, dustmites, plants, etc. which live on past any pet dander)

I'm not sure what danger the cats would pose provided they are inside cats and well cared for (i.e. the house is kept clean and the litter box is well kept and the cats aren't aggressive (or teased). But I know everyone's tolerance of animals is a bit different. I can't imagine having to go through chemo and having your cats given away too. Losing them at the same time as chemo would probably take away what will I had to live. I've known many people who went through chemo and none of them got rid of their animals. And none of them caught anything from them either.

This is more central FL. But hopefully someone will step up since she'd going to take them to the shelter. (not quite a forever home)
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

2 members found this post helpful.

Sorry but you just don`t understand the danger of ANY infection to someone who is under cancer treatment. To cure them the treatment kills all cells not just the cancer. My son was so much sicker AFTER he started treatment. And you have to deal with all the side effects too.

Take my 2 yr old he came home with mouth sores, extremely low white blood counts, Port accessed - which means he had a needle sticking out of his chest at home - the car seat was a nightmare etc etc. Home had to be a safer enviornment than the hospital.

When it really is life or death for someone you love you do what you HAVE to do, not what you want to.

5 members found this post helpful.

But I am selfish enough to say that if I was the one with cancer - I would keep my pets.

4 members found this post helpful.

There are ways to keep your cats. Absolutely. MDs have minimal training on zoonoses. It's much easier for them to say just get rid of things. A vet would actually be the better one to ask.
    What are we concerned about...toxo, Bartonella (cat scratch fever), and GI parasites? All very manageable risks. Many people with HIV, chemo, etc. have pets. I worked with a family the other day where the father was a transplant recipient AND on dialysis but they also had a German shepherd. Only a little extra precaution makes a big difference.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

Yes, Dr`s advise you to rehome any pets when your children have cancer.
    Maybe under-educated ones do; not the good doctors though. Pets don't pose much of a risk of infection at all, particularly housecats; and what risk there is can easily be managed- just don't have the kid clean the litterbox is often enough. And you have to balance that against the well-proven positive impact pets have on depression, mood, health, and quality of life.

Right, internet medical advice from non-doctors > doctors directly involved in the case, and all medical cases are exactly the same.

Not to mention pets are time-consuming and expensive, as is chemo and cancer treatment--they may also not have the time or money to look after pets at the moment. Or the emotional capability. Someone in the family being critically ill is not exactly a stress-free, inexpensive situation.

8 members found this post helpful.

Doctors have minimal medical training on zoonoses, so in that case, yes, vets = non doctors > doctors.

Also there is the lovely knowledge that the pet owner may be terminally ill! What if there is no one to look after the pet once he/she passes?

Quote Originally Posted by cnigh View Post
    Also there is the lovely knowledge that the pet owner may be terminally ill! What if there is no one to look after the pet once he/she passes?
    In that case they should make arrangements ahead of time for someone who wants to take in the animals (not someone who says they will and then dumps them somewhere). Sadly I've known many people with cancer, NONE of them rehomed animals because of lowered immune systems, in fact many went out and GOT THEM because they just made it easier for them to make it through. None of them got an infection either.

Well wait, there was ONE. But it wasn't because of infection risk, it was because she was an incessant barker and it drove her crazy, she couldn't sleep so her sister took the dog. PEOPLE pose more of a danger of infection to an immuno-suppressed person than properly cared for animals, esp. indoor cats. People carry all sorts of nasty germs including staph, MRSA, strep and even the common cold are all more of a danger than the cats.

And who is more immune compromised than an AIDS patient? Yet you rarely hear of them giving up their pets either. Again, many credit their pets for helping them make it through treatments.

As for Drs. well remember there was a 1rst in the class, a middle of the class and an END of the class. And they are all called Doctor. Dr.s are also notorious for not keeping up with literature and most of them wouldn't dream of keeping up with ANIMAL literature! I have had many things happen because of screwups by Drs. so no, I don't think they are all correct, esp. when I know they are not!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

My dad was never told to rehome any of his pets for any of his chemo/radition rounds and he currently has a port. Is it just children that are advised "no pets"?
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

I have to agree with Summerhorse - if I lost all of my cats while undergoing chemo I really think it would affect my will to live. Nobody could force me to give up my cats.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

No, its not the "under-educated" doctors that recommend not keeping pets with children undergoing chemotherapy. Its NOT solely because of the zoonosis factor.

If you have ever been bitten or scratched by a cat, as a person with a healthy immune system, your skin often reacts slightly. Some people even need to be hospitalized for cat bite fever. Children can become extremely ill or even die from a cat bite/scratch due to compromised immune systems from chemotherapy. Adults can predict cat behavior better than children, young children and cats can be trouble even without cancer being in the books! Obviously we are assuming young children here.

Generally yes, children to respond to chemotherapies differently than adults as almost all of their cells in the body are rapidly dividing. They are typically more neutropenic than adults, which increases their risk for infection.

Cats pose more of a threat than dogs. Ive never heard of recommendations to rehom dogs due to chemotherapy. Its the cats - especially ones who have claws.

To make a statement that these doctors are "uneducated" is a very uneducated statement.

While most people do not get rid of their pets, they do pose added risk (for other reasons as well). Some people simply will do anything to keep their children safe and healthy and you cant blame them for this. While it is never forced, it takes a GOOD doctor to explain the risks on keeping cats. Once risks are discussed and individual cases are assessed then you know whether or not you should rehome your cats or keep them.

Me....of course, I would still snuggle with my critters

^^^^^ this

and as a parent who had a 6yr old son drop dead without any reason (at the time). If you kept your animal and something you thought never could happed.......DID.... you would never forgive yourself. The is no pain worse than having your child die before you. If you could prevent it from being in the cards.... do so. Maybe rehome if you just can't live without ole snookums.. and get it back after your child is cleared. To keep a pet when your child is the one being killed then brought back to life is, well,...... I have no words.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Kind of a head-scratcher for me too. My sister had an auto stem cell transplant and of course had to have her immune system wiped out first. But her doctors just told her to have someone else pick up poo and not to touch her dog with her hands. Her beagle stayed right where he was.

In fact, I even brought my border collie with me when I stayed with my sister after her transplant. She couldn't touch Violet with her hands, but they figured out a way to play fetch nonetheless. My sister would stick her feet out in front of her, Vi would drop the ball on top of them, and Laurel would kick forwards to launch the ball.

I imagine it's the child's parent(s) being a bit overly cautious - and who could blame them? A child with cancer must be devastating.

I'm also a little confused about the "small re-homing fee." For what?
    Analytical thinking is the first casualty when opposing sides polarize, and that shows lack of common sense on both sides.
    Denny Emerson

Squish, you might already know this, but cat scratch fever comes from flea poop - if you have no fleas, you won't get Bartonella henselae.
    As far as bites, well, young kids should ALWAYS be supervised around pets, regardless of anybody's immune status.