The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Has anyone had experience with adult normal pressure hydrocephalus?

My husband had a shunt put into his cranial ventricles in October after we finally got the go ahead after a year of watching him slide quickly into dementia, balance issues and incontinence. No one seemed to want to commit to this relatively simple proceedure, and we almost lost him just prior to the surgery. He has improved a great deal, in many ways. He can walk unassisted, care for himself, write and read. He is confined to the dementia unit at the nursing home and is comfortable there. He comes home on occasion, can go out with family for dinner, etc.

My question is whether any of you might have had any experience with this. He is getting assessments by the neurosurgeon every 3 months, and adjustments being made in the valve as needed, but he seems to be regressing. I recently spoke to a woman whose husband died from the effects of NPH, which got me thinking that perhaps Doug might not improve much more.

If you have any encouraging words from experience, or even if you have not-so-successful experiences to share, I'd really appreciate it!
    Form follows function, or does function follow form?

www.clearvisionequine.com

http://clearvisionequine.blogspot.com

My Dad had one put in when he was about 86 - it didn't really do very much for him - it may have kept him from getting worse - I'm really not sure. We had hoped for more.
    We had to really fight for some of this - his doctor kept just patting him on the back and saying he was fine - when we knew he wasn't.
    My Dad did not die from this tho.

Quote Originally Posted by boosma47 View Post
    My husband had a shunt put into his cranial ventricles in October after we finally got the go ahead after a year of watching him slide quickly into dementia, balance issues and incontinence. No one seemed to want to commit to this relatively simple proceedure, and we almost lost him just prior to the surgery. He has improved a great deal, in many ways. He can walk unassisted, care for himself, write and read. He is confined to the dementia unit at the nursing home and is comfortable there. He comes home on occasion, can go out with family for dinner, etc.

My question is whether any of you might have had any experience with this. He is getting assessments by the neurosurgeon every 3 months, and adjustments being made in the valve as needed, but he seems to be regressing. I recently spoke to a woman whose husband died from the effects of NPH, which got me thinking that perhaps Doug might not improve much more.

If you have any encouraging words from experience, or even if you have not-so-successful experiences to share, I'd really appreciate it!

I sent you a PM.