The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Aussie puppies - what is safe to give them for flea control & heartworm prevention??

I've been reading everything I can about all the products available, and am now more confused than ever.

1 pup is going to be 4 months on 4/7. The brothers are 11 weeks right now.

They are from 2 different sets of parents, so not related at all.

I've done the Capstar pill & Advantix Multi, but here in Fla, the fleas laugh at that.
    Adams flea shampoo, and spray is not effective either.

My vet recommends the Trifexis, but after reading all the threads on here, I am scared to try it.

These pups will all be tested for the MDR1, just waiting for the test kits from Washington State Univ. Then I might be in a safer position on meds, but for right now, I need to get them some relief.
    TIA.

Alternate advantage and frontline, it's the only way I can keep the florida fleas under control. I do one month of frontline, then two months of advantage. That seems to keep my fleas guessing, so they don't know what to be resistant to.

I've used trifexis, and it works, but I've been a little shy about it. I do know you have to use it for three months for it to be effective.

Thanks!
    I just got off the phone with a vet tech at Elanco. She was pretty knowledgeable and answered all my questions.

I'm going to try the Trifexis, but only because the topical flea control doesn't work for me.

Now 2 days after putting it (advantix multi) on the puppies, they were scratching again.

Doesn't help that we have a pine forest out back.
    Last edited by TimeBandit; Apr. 2, 2013 at 05:38 AM. Reason: clarification

I've been using the Trifexis since my pup was 3 months old. It works and I haven't had any issues with it making her sick. I give it with food as recommended by her vet. I am in Florida too, south Florida, so fleas are a year round battle. Last trip to Central FL she picked up a few ticks and I found them dead, attached, but dead.

1 members found this post helpful.

My Aussie has been getting it for over a year and she WILL throw it up if I let her play run or play (especially outside in the heat) after giving it, but if I keep her inside she keeps it down fine.

1 members found this post helpful.

They all got the Trifexis pill at around 3 in the afternoon, and thank goodness - no adverse reactions.
    Thank you everyone.