The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Good Lord - you told him to "keep the hard drive", just pay you for it?? You must be really sick. You couldn't get the original money owed, but yet you expect him to now cough up for the hard drive??? Good luck getting either the hard drive or the money back now. He can feel your desperation & now definitely knows you're not going to do anything about anything. At this point, just write the whole thing off. You're NEVER going to get anything more out of this guy.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    And within 2 minutes... the post was deleted.
    I guessed it would be.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

I figured it would be deleted at some point. Was hoping it would stay for a bit... maybe more people could read it. Honestly, I don't know what shape the hard drive would be in if he bothered to give it back to me. That's why I suggested he could keep it IF he paid me for it. At this point it's very obviously i can't trust him, so would the hard drive even be usable if I got it back?

know what the saddest part is? That his bullsh#t will color my decisions in the future to "help" friends. That maybe next time I'll say no when a friend asks for help. To me, that's sad.

He's obviously ignoring me... something I do not take to very well. This is stupid. I know it's stupid. I know Karma will turn around and bite him in his ass. I just happen to think sometimes Karma takes too damn long (kind of like training horses... you have to be immediate in the punishment or reward or the horse doesn't make the connection... in this case, I'm working with an @ss).
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I know what you mean completely. I have someone ignoring me right now, thing with FB is it TELLS you the message is read, as you know. I figure, hey you don't want the job you said you wanted, i will get someone else, no worries but it would be nice if you could say that

This guy is some friend, try not to let him colour your views on helping real friends in the future, I know it's hard (been there).

You know, I'd be tempted to put another message up on his wall, just to pee him off now Something like, Hey, posted to your wall earlier about X, but I think facebook is glitching again because the post vanished!!

Again, & perhaps I missed it - does he live local? It's REALLY easy to dismiss/ignore stuff via phone messages & the internet, but REALLY difficult to do so when you're face to face.

Did he move that far away that you're relying on Facebook for communication?

Just go over to his house when think he will be there and get the hard drive. It may be trashed, but it's going to continue to annoy you if you don't. While you're there ask him for a check. $27 isn't that much, he should be able to cough it up. If he goes hungry one day, that's his problem not yours.

BTW, I think the term friend is a stretch here.

I'd also just fill out a change of address card for him. It takes 5 min & will save you a bunch of annoyance. I did one for an old landlord - it was better than sharing a mailbox with him (even though he no longer lived at the address) USPS really doesn't check who signed at the X.

OP, I was content to let you be used by the douche until the part about how it will make you view future friends.

If the dude owed you $27, why give him something worth more money is part of your bid to make him pay>

And if he was good at ignoring you IRL, why wouldn't he delete you from FB? He's doing what he always did.

My point is that you don't have to think of all other people as "takers" if you acknowledge your part in being this guy's "giver."

Don't do it again, and you can like/trust the rest of the human race a little more.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I'm also on the side with those that are telling you to go to his house, ring the doorbell and get your hard drive in your hands. The $27, just let it go......the FB issue: instead of posting on his wall, post on your own a "warning" to everyone about "don't lend anything to xxxxx, you'll never see it again"! That way, if it will make you feel better, it won't be deleted unless you delete it LOL
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    My point is that you don't have to think of all other people as "takers" if you acknowledge your part in being this guy's "giver."

Don't do it again, and you can like/trust the rest of the human race a little more.
    Hu?

So now the OP is at fault for trying to help her friend out by letting him live in her place?

She was used by someone who is being scum.

3 members found this post helpful.

After talking to a mutual friend on how to handle him, I sent him another FB message (nice to be able to see that he actually read the message in case he doesn't reply). Reiterated wanting to know when I could expect to be paid and get the hard drive back. Told him that I didn't want to bring anyone else into the drama, nor did I want to drag this out or involve the courts. Notice "didn't" not "won't". Told him that we're both grown adults and supposed to be friends.

He did reply. Said that he could get into a "bit tie raid about this but it's not worth it". Said he'd do the online payment again and get my HD in the mail to me on Saturday. Then proceeded to ask me to unfriend him and leave him alone.

I didn't... I replied that I would let him know when I got the check and the HD, for his own records/knowledge. Asked if anything left at the farm should be considered abandoned - requested a reply so I'd have it in writing.

I've now been blocked on his FB. LOL Sorry... I find it funny that he's upset because I want what he promised me. But it seems that I might be getting it. Yay! I'm very leary about the HD actually working... simply because I obviously cannot trust him. So we'll see.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

What would I do? Title the thread "EX-friend owes me money" and move on...

3 members found this post helpful.

I like the OP's style. Mr. $30 needed to learn that when you screw friends who seem really nice and cool, sometimes they blow up into PITA monsters who stalk you on FB and hassle you about the stuff you stole, so maybe it's better to just deal honestly with people.

I find it funny that he's upset because I want what he promised me. But it seems that I might be getting it. Yay!
    Nah. No you won't. Sorry to say that, but that was the last you'll hear from him.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I think if you were such good friends, why don't you have his phone number? Call him up and actually talk to him. Facebook is such a middle school way of communicating about things that are kind of serious.
    I'm assuming you know where he lives? Go get your stuff! If I were him, just based on how you'll only send Facebook messages, I'd ignore you too. Make him pay attention to you! Sack up, sweetie!

oh good grief, I do have his phone number. He doesn't pick up. I don't have his new address, though I've tried to find it. FB is better than texts because i can actually see when he reads the messages if he chooses to not reply. I do know the name of the company he works for ... I suppose I could go there and either confront him or follow him home, but I think that's a bit beyond psycho, don't you?

Report the hard drive stolen and let the police deal with it or just let it go.

You've already spent too much energy on him.

Tell all your mutual friends that he shafted you after you helped him out.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

oh good grief, I do have his phone number. He doesn't pick up. I don't have his new address, though I've tried to find it. FB is better than texts because i can actually see when he reads the messages if he chooses to not reply. I do know the name of the company he works for ... I suppose I could go there and either confront him or follow him home, but I think that's a bit beyond psycho, don't you?
    Hey - you're the one who came on here asking for advice. What, exactly, do you expect? And no, I don't think it's "a bit beyond psycho" to do whatever is necessary to at least get your equipment back. At this point, the money is most likely a lost cause & a lesson learned, but there's no reason why he should end up with everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Hey - you're the one who came on here asking for advice. What, exactly, do you expect? And no, I don't think it's "a bit beyond psycho" to do whatever is necessary to at least get your equipment back. At this point, the money is most likely a lost cause & a lesson learned, but there's no reason why he should end up with everything.
    Exactly. You said you wanted your money and hard drive, and Facebook messages aren't doing it. You just come across so passive in dealing with this guy. Either get serious and get your stuff, or let it go and consider it a lesson learned. You keep threatening small claims court, so do it. Even if you don't end up going, he'll get some legal documents and maybe start to take you seriously.

you posted your comments after I posted that he said he was manning up and gettingme what is owed. Time will tell if he actually does it. If he does, it will be over. If it doesn't, I most certainly will be upping my part.