The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Personally I wouldn't chase the $27, and although I'd want the hard drive back, I'm not sure how much psychic energy I'd invest in that chase, either.

As for the mail, I would write "Not at this address" on the outer envelopes and stick them back in the mail.
    Agree 100% with all of this EXCEPT I would definitely expect & pursue getting the hard-drive back - downloaded movies or not. For me it would be worth the psychic energy to not have the shmuck think he was getting away with everything.

2 members found this post helpful.

If I lend money to anybody, I do so with the expectation that I may never see it again.

If I get paid back, excellent. Most of my friends absolutely would pay me back, I have no doubt.

If I don't get paid back, then it was a gift. If I can't afford to gift that much, I don't lend it, period.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

But furlong... it wasn't a LOAN! It was RENT MONEY! The only loan was in the amount of time to pay it.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    But furlong... it wasn't a LOAN! It was RENT MONEY! The only loan was in the amount of time to pay it.
    BUT - did you have a rental contract? In writing? No? Then the money could be anything.

You're right. Legally it could be as we did not have a rental contract in writing. Everything was verbal. That said, he knows damn good and well what it is and has said he knows he owes it to me (I have THAT in writing). I guess we simply disagree on the timing. Given that he was behind in cable bills from the beginning and started to get behind in rent 2 months after moving in, I think a month after moving out is plenty of time to pay back a mere $27.55. Obviously he thinks otherwise.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

If you ever get the $27.55 from him, how many hours will you have spent collecting it? How much is your time worth?

If all he owes you is $27.55 and your HD, get your stuff back and consider the rest a cheap life lesson - don't do business with "friends".
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

1 members found this post helpful.

I love the "Call his momma" strategy.

Look, the piddling amount owed ought to be worthy of some shaming. You want to renege on a huge amount of money you don't have? Uncool, but I can see how someone would do that. Screwing a friend for 27 and change? That's lame.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I like the call momma strategy, too. And as an alternative: he's on FB, momma's on FB, his friends are on FB? So post the question on HIS FB - "Hey, X, when are you going to give me my hard drive and the rent money you owe me?"
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by ccoronios View Post
    I like the call momma strategy, too. And as an alternative: he's on FB, momma's on FB, his friends are on FB? So post the question on HIS FB - "Hey, X, when are you going to give me my hard drive and the rent money you owe me?"
    LOL That very well may be the next step. Trying to at least give the impression of "enough time" to reply to last night's message first. It was almost 11 when I sent it, and though I know he read it within 10 minutes and that he checks FB during the day, he does work a 1st shift job so we'll see what comes about tonight before the decision to go public is made.

3 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Agree with cowboymom - money loaned is a gift until it's repaid.
    Your friend made what he probably considers an honest effort to repay you in full.
    I'd let the $27.55 go but continue to ask for the HD.
    Sounds like that may be a lost cause too.

I allowed friends to use my address when they moved out of the country.
    Arrangement was temporary, I informed them when I wanted it to stop (after a year) and now toss any mail addressed to them.
    IIWY, I'd mark his mail NLATA as suggested and let the USPS figure it out.
    Give him a date to pick up mail you have now and tell him when the date passes, you are going to pitch it.

Some people lean awfully hard on a friendship.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

For 20 bulks, I wouldn't even consider it to be anything he still owes me but it is me. I will though, get a pal out night, choose a nice restaurant, and get him to pay the bill.

Here's what I would do. I'd let the $27 go.

I'd tell him I expect the hard drive back, posthaste and if he's in the same town I might even tell him, "I'm going to be over by your side of town on x day at x time and I can pick it up then!" just to make easy for him, of course.

The stuff he left behind is his responsibility. If it's taking up too much space you can tell him that you'll hold it until [whenever] and then it's going to go to Goodwill and if he leaves it behind, that's his problem.

Mail...like everybody else said, mark it as him no longer at the address, stick it back in the mail. Also not your problem if he didn't fill out a change of address form.

I wouldn't try to get his friends or his mother involved, that's just pushing it into drama territory. Just draw the line and stick to it. And don't do anything with them again that involves the exchange of money. I wouldn't even expect him to pay for dinner sometime. Just not worth the hassle if you have to get in an argument over who's paying at dinner. Particularly if he refuses and you end up having to pay anyway.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

I HATE getting other people's mail and it'll keep happening forever if he's lame like you say. Mark it up and tell the carrier to fill out a carrier generated forward, which will make him responsible for pulling out the first class and sending it back. You'll likely still get the guy's junk mail, it's the stuff that says standard or nonprofit in the stamp area, you can pitch that without consequence.

I know how you feel, 40 years is a long time to hold a grudge the way I have, don't waste your time doing that. I remember when my BIL moved in with us DH wouldn't charge him rent and I thought that was foolish, but in the long run I doubt he'd have paid so we don't have the shadow of a debt hanging over our relationship.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

You were really lucky to get the $450. You're not going to get the $27, probably, and probably not the hard drive too. Consider it a cheap lesson.

A $120+ hard drive is "cheap"? I wanna live in your world. I just don't see how being paid what is owed BY A FRIEND no less is considered "lucky". He should consider himself LUCKY that I didn't throw his a$$ out on the street when he first fell behind in rent... or that I probably won't pursue small claims court for the $27 provided I get the hard drive or cash for it back. When did getting what is owed become "lucky?"

No contact since I sent the message Sunday night. As I said, I know he read it within 10 minutes (thank you FB)... and I know he's been on FB since then (combination of him showing up in my online friends and seeing some of his postings... but yet no word. Trying not to do anything without thinking right now -- which is really hard because I'm sick and therefore extremely grumpy.

I'm not getting his mail anymore, but he admitted that he didn't put in a change of address before he actually moved (dumba$$).

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Personally I wouldn't chase the $27, and although I'd want the hard drive back, I'm not sure how much psychic energy I'd invest in that chase, either.

As for the mail, I would write "Not at this address" on the outer envelopes and stick them back in the mail.
    I was thinking you're lucky to get most, if any, of the $. If it were me I'd likely show up once (and only once) on his doorstep with the mail and "trade" it for the hard drive, and suggest he change his address so he gets his mail in the future. If the hard drive for some reason didn't end up in my hand immediately, he'd be no longer in my life. Probably wouldn't anyway-I don't have time for that sh!t.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

2 members found this post helpful.

Oooh - that's an idea. Not about the mail - who gives a sh*t about that. But if you know where he lives & it's local - just show up & say you're there to pick up the hard drive. Period.

Stuck at home today sick. I hate being sick. Aside from everything else it makes me grumpy. I just posted a note on his FB wall... simply asking to let me know about the back rent and the hard drive. Said if he wants to keep the hard drive, that's fine... just add $128.93 which is what I paid. Also pointed out that I thought I'd post there since I wasn't getting any replies from messages. Guess we'll see what happens. $27 is fine to write off. Over $100? not so much.

And within 2 minutes... the post was deleted.

This man is no Friend. You're out a hard drive & $27 ... a cheap lesson compared to some of the Ponzi schemes going about. (friends taking life savings)

Wipe him and his toxic waste from your life. Live your life with joy instead of letting $127 ruin it.