The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Free Lease spin-off: Does the owner provide all tack?

The free lease thread has me thinking. I'm moving to Houston this summer and am considering leasing out my pony for free until I get settled in a new routine and scope out the boarding options.

Just a quick question about free leases. Who provides the tack? Do I leave my tack with the pony, since it's technically the pony's tack? I'm a little protective of my CWD and would hate for my saddle to be abused or misused. Do I leave the bridle with the pony and have the lessor use their own saddle (if they have one) on my pony?

It depends. A lease can be whatever you want it to be as long as both parties agree. If the leasor has a saddle that fits the pony have them use theirs. It's safest. When I lease out my quarter horse, the stipuation is that they only use his saddle, because he is a hard fit and very picky about saddle fit.

The few times I have leased horses out they provided the tack. As stated above, it is what the two parties agree on.

Christa

My horse is currently on free lease....I left a bridle with a bit (I had a spare schooling bridle and know what kind of bit he goes best in and I wanted to be sure they had access to it, I guess you cant really MAKE them use it though)...I also sent his blankets...mainly because I had no where to store them myself.

I included in the lease agreement that tack and items that were sent with them, their value and that they would be returned in the same condition (clean and in good repair) or would be replaced by the person leasing him when he was returned.

Again, you cant MAKE them take care of your stuff, so I wouldnt send anything you are not prepared to shell out $$$$ for and replace yourself.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

1 members found this post helpful.

There is no obligation to provide tack. Negotiate what you are comfortable with. I have leased a horse without tack and I have leased out a horse on the farm with some tack, but not my saddle. I would want to check the lessee's saddle fit, but I personally would NOT include a gorgeous CWD in a lease.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

What everyone else said. Include what you want and write down what you do include. If your pony is difficult to fit then including a saddle that you know fits might be best. If the person leasing has a saddle that works then that is fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by LEL View Post
    I'm a little protective of my CWD and would hate for my saddle to be abused or misused. Do I leave the bridle with the pony and have the lessor use their own saddle (if they have one) on my pony?
    I would NOT leave a CWD saddle or $$$ bridle or girth or $$$ anything in a lease situation
    Unless your CWD has some very custom (for the horse) features, it will not be too difficult to find a non-CWD saddle to fit - and you can certainly require that the leaserwannabe be responsible for this, & any other tack, blankets etc ...

If you do supply tack,don't just write it down, also take photos & make sure that everyone signs off on it - if you aren't getting much of a lease fee, then you may want to have a "tack deposit" that is returned only if ...

1 members found this post helpful.

It depends on whether the person leasing the horse has a saddle that fits. I've always had my saddle fitter make the decision on that.

It's tricky leaving expensive tack in the care of someone else. Years ago someone was riding my horse in my saddle. she fell off and the horse took off. When we found the horse (unharmed) my saddle had a pretty big gash in it. I was NOT happy.

The flip side is that many people just don't know enough about saddle fit to make a good choice and if your horse gets a sore back from being ridden in an ill-fitting saddle, that can cause a lot of problem.s
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

These comments all sound reasonable and make perfect sense. I hadn't thought about taking photos of the equipment to verify condition. I also could not afford to replace my saddle, so as I was thinking, that wouldn't be something I'm comfortable including in the lease agreement.

As everyone has said - it depends. The horse I free leased last year for a bit came with all his bridles (3), a couple of bits, saddle, 2 girths, some halters, and his winter blanket. But the owner was out of province and her stuff would have been sitting anyway, so she just sent it with him as opposed to having me purchase new stuff. None of it was $$$$ tack, though.

I've mostly had tack fitted for my horse and horses that were worth more than the tack, so I would definitely want to ensure that my horse had his/her best-fitting stuff.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    I've mostly had tack fitted for my horse and horses that were worth more than the tack, so I would definitely want to ensure that my horse had his/her best-fitting stuff.
    This is something for me to consider depending on the lease situation (if I find someone legitimately interested in leasing her, rather than a teen who reads "free lease" and thinks "free horse!") While I'd love to be able to provide the best of the best for this pony, with whom I share a sentimental attachment, the CWD is realistically worth more than she is. She's not a hard fit, so I'm sure other less expensive saddles would suffice.