The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Post your best juice recipes here! And help me not think about food!

My husband and I are going on a juice fast for ten days after watching the documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. We realized that both of us had many health risks that were brought on by our weight and though neither of us are quite the size if the two gentlemen in the movie we sure could stand to lose a bit (a lot). We did our first juice today and though not bad it needed something. I am now reaching out to COTH wisdome and asking for any yummy juice recipes anyone cares to share. Thanks so much and I'll keep you posted on the progress. We are starting at 275 lbs for my 6'3" husband and 179.5 for my 5'3" self.

Learn from my mistakes; you'll screw your metabolism up even more by doing that.
    Your metabolism needs consistency, and your body needs high quality nutrition. Removing fiber from sugar and some vitamins is frankly dumb and pointless.
    If you want to juice, encorporate it as ONE of your snacks.

If you'd like to get healthier and detox, contact a nutritionist, endocrinologist, and/or get the book Turn Up the Heat by Dr Philip Goglia. He (through phone consults) really helped me get to a healthier place.

And so I've got some more cred: I've managed to lose 90lbs and keep them off for 9 years. I was featured in a Chronicle article on healthy fitness. You can find a link on my website.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Too funny you should mention this,I'm doing the same. I think far
    ,sick... has a juice recipe book you can purchase. I do a kale, apple, berries(frozen) lemon,banana. I've also added cucumber, ginger or red bell pepper. Use your imagination!Good luck with your fast, I'm trying to lose 10 lbs.

fasting like that, especially if you're consuming a low-fat, low-fiber "diet" of sugar-laden juices, is really unhealthy and doesn't lead to long-term weight loss. It just messes up your body, and then you regain the weight and possibly more weight after you stop the fast- because your body responds to starvation and low-fat/high sugar diets by slowing down your basal metabolism.

the only way to lose weight and keep it off is to eat a weight-loss diet that you can stay on forever.
    Low-fat diets slow down your basal metabolism and tend to make you feel very hungry, so they are probably not a good choice for weight-loss or weight- maintenance.
    Very low carbohydrate, low glycemic index load diets- 10% calories from carbohydrates, 60% from fat, and 30% from protein- do not slow down your basal metabolism and the high fat makes you feel full so you can eat less without struggling.
    One study that had a cross-over design found that people eating a low-carbohydrate high-fat diet (Atkins or Paleo type diet) burned, on average, 200 kcal/day more- just by existing- than when they were eating a low-fat high-carbohydrate diet (the usual eat lots of whole grains/ avoid fat type diet).
    Cross-over design means they used each individual as his/her own control- each person would eat Diet 1 for a few weeks, then switch to Diet 2, and they would do measurements and compare the person's outcomes on Diet 1 to Diet 2. This kind of design eliminates biases due to differences between people in their type of metabolisms.

1 members found this post helpful.

My favorite is kale, pineapple, apple, pear, blueberries, banana topped with handful of cashews and/or slice almonds. Word of warning: The addition of blueberries makes for a "brown" shake instead of green. Without the blueberries, it's a nice green shake.

I use the Nutribullet, which doesn't discard the fiber like a regular juicer. I have never fasted. But not being a big fruit/veggie eater, I've found a 'nutriblast' for breakfast to be fabulous supplement.

For healthy shakes, like mao suggests, try blending kale, various fruits, nuts, protein powders and sometimes a little almond or soy milk or ice. My zumba instructor drinks variations on this when he works out and introduced this to us. The important thing is the addition of the dark leafy green, and you can experiment with different types of leafy greens (spinach, chard, etc. have a sweet taste that blends well with fruits).

Before working out or riding, I love shakes with protein powder, frozen berries or fruit (I freeze them when they're in season), perhaps fresh fruit, perhaps nuts and some good quality yoghurt and a splash of milk. Or a splash of 100% fruit juice.

A good shake can be a great meal replacer. I'd stay away from replacing meals with juiced fruits and vegetables - you'll be missing the very important fiber!
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I'd be careful of doing too many fruits in one drink. Anytime I've made juice I've limited myself typically too one fruit added. The only exception was breakfast I'd do carrots, strawberries, and apples. My other go to was spinach, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, broccoli, apples, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Love a good juice especially when it is hot out.

I love this, it is more off a smoothie than a juice. I skip the egg white ('cause I'm allergic) but do throw in some extra whey powder. I have this for breakfast several time a week.

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/2012/05/...onut-smoothie/
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

Juice-fasting's not the answer.

Getting rid of grains, including whole grains, and sugars not just for 10 days or whatever, but PERMANENTLY, is. It will fix your high blood sugar, and the high triglycerides, high blood pressure, insulin resistance and likely obesity that these unnatural foods for our species directly cause.

I would challenge anyone here who feels like sh#t, to stop banging from sugar high to insulin flood and back again by eating low-carb or Paleo (animals and plants, unlimited; that means meat, fish, veggies, nuts, full-fat dairy and THAT'S IT!).
    In only 2 weeks you will completely re-wire your body for burning fat instead of burning glucose.

Our entire society needs to get educated about this PDQ or the dialysis parlor is going to be where the elite meet.

For more info see:

www.MarksDailyApple.com
    www.TheEatingAcademy.com
    www.GaryTaubes.com

or just hit Google for "Low Carb."

You can NOT keep eating processed junk and be healthy. It's not a "diet," it's a PERMANENT change of eating habits--just like putting your horse on 24/7 grass turnout.

1 members found this post helpful.

^^^^^
    :-)
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble