The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Vet was out yesterday. Nothing wrong with his vision. Doesn't think he has ulcers based on my description of his behavior. Vet suggested I try a month of Smart Gut to see what happens, but ultimately thinks it is just his personality. Well, I can handle that. Interestingly, vet said that the reason he doesn't think it is ulcers is because (among other things) horse was an absolute solid rock star at the show I took him to last summer. Vet said Mondy would have wigged out under all that pressure if it was ulcers.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Because he presumably didn't have ulcers a year ago he doesn't have them now? Both are a giant leap in my opinion. Why would you use a supplement that doesn't even claim to heal ulcers as a "just in case" when you can do a trial of something that could heal them? If the supplement doesn't change anything, that tells you nothing. If you do a week of ulcergard at the full tube dose and it does nothing that does likely tell you something. By the way, when someone responds to your update, the update is no longer the last post. Better to give the post number or the page.

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense. It's been almost a year from that show. Things can change very quickly with ulcers. And agree the smart gut will tell you nothing truthfully. What did he do to check his vision if you don't mind? Did he test his hearing?
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Just to add it maybe good to test his b levels and mag levels. If these are off they can make a horse very jumpy and spooky. My guy had low b levels and he was a chicken of all chickens. Scared of everything. Showed him and he'd have his good and bad days. Started to supplement the b1 vitamin and it made a huge difference in his demeanor.

You know, Rabicon, I did ask the vet about this and he just poh-poohed it. This is why I am posting update here - maybe I need a second opinion from another vet? This guy is totally in love with himself and the sound of his own voice. Don't you DARE interrupt him or try to get a word in edgewise - he pronounces. Althoug to be fair he did elicit an extensive history from me before he started to pronounce.

He shone a light in Mondy's eyes with some sort of magnifying instrument to check his vision. He let me look through the instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    Just to add it maybe good to test his b levels and mag levels. If these are off they can make a horse very jumpy and spooky. My guy had low b levels and he was a chicken of all chickens. Scared of everything. Showed him and he'd have his good and bad days. Started to supplement the b1 vitamin and it made a huge difference in his demeanor.
    What did you use for the supplement? Interested in this for my spookish gelding. Thanks!
    Alis volat propriis.

Our pony is a nervous nelly. She trembled like a leaf when the vet came, she jumps every time the clippers get turned on, she shakes when I do water. I'm her only handler (besides my 5 year old daughter) so I am there for every interaction. We talk to her, soothe her, etc. she is just that way.

It's best to have the levels checked first before just supplementing. But to be honest I can't remember. It was a good 7 years ago probably when I had to give it to him. His levels have been goos awhile now so he hasn't needed it and he is the same way now that he was on the supplements because everything is normal so he is pretty normal. He will always be a little spooky because that's his nature but it isn't constant looking for the boogie man and jumping sideways and scared of the butterfly in the show ring lol like he use to be. Very calm and not anxious like he was before. I'll try to remember what it was and let you know. Let me think on it a bit and see if i can remember.

Eta. You could put him on a multivitamin supplement that has b1 in it and see if that seems to help. If it does in the least bit go further with testing to narrow it down.

Oliver I'd just talk to my vet if you want to go further and tell him you'd like those levels checked. My vet had no problem with it. Some horses are just that way but sometimes there is a problem and I'm one that wants to make sure that there is no problem so I research and ask a lot of questions and read a lot so I know what possibilities I'm looking at. Did he do any hand movement test at his eyes? It just depends on really what you want to investigate further and if you have the resources to also. You could investigate and spend the money and it may just be how he is but you just never know. Epm can also make them more jumpy as a symptom just to throw that out there.

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

Could it be too much protein in his diet? I know it's kind of a simple solution, but when my OTTB gets 'bingy' (spooking at stupid stuff I know he's normally okay with) that's the first thing I check (provided he's not exhibiting something pain related). I find the too much protein is like a sine wave with his demeanor, he's rock steady with startling stuff (BO unaware we're in the stall starts the leaf blower right outside his door to blow down the aisle) and a few hours later he's ready to climb out of his skin because a chainsaw is going in the far TO. He's heard chainsaws frequently with all the storm damage we've had last fall and this winter, so this is not a new noise, but it wasn't warm then like it is now. Spring is always such a fun time, with temps in the 40's/30's then the 70's/60's then 50's/40's. I reduce the amount of protein he's been supplemented with though winter (alfalfa) and about a week later his binginess levels out. I have him on a 10% protein grain so I know the alfalfa is the only increase of protein in his diet.

One spring he was out of his head at my former barn and started weaving at his stall door. Couldn't concentrate. He'd listen to direction, comply willingly, then get distracted within two steps. Had the attention span of a gnat. This was a gradual thing, building, until he exhibited this weaving behavior. Firm or strong correction just made things worse. Had to be soothed. He doesn't weave normally, so I was confident it wasn't a psychological issue. Checked to make sure nothing unusual/traumatic had happened at the barn, BO said nothing had changed, so I started checking the hay bales to see if there was a richer alfalfa mix to them. BO's wife comes out to feed, asks why I'm checking hay, then tells me she switched him over at the beginning of the month (two weeks ago) to the grain her horses were on. Easier than having a separate bin. And it's cheaper. And it's 14% protein.

Took a couple of weeks, swapping him back over to the 10% protein grain before his demeanor started settling down. It didn't help that the weather turned hot too. But the weaving/binginess/spooking at everything diminished in that order till he was back to his 'normal' OTTB sensitivity.
    Last edited by OnThinIce; Apr. 11, 2013 at 01:31 PM.
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

The too much protein thing is an old wives tale. Too much sugar on the other hand is absolutely proven. Never seen a kid hopped up on hamburgers but give a kid some cotton candy and it's a different story.

1 members found this post helpful.

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

OP should absolutely check out her horse's carb/sugar intake. But with my horse, there was no difference in the carb/sugar ratios between the 14% and 10% grain, just the protein content. With protein it really has to do with how a horse processes it and assimilates it into their system. If the amino acids generated effects metabolism you're going to see changes in demeanor. My horse gets spooky, edgy, flighty when the weather warms up. I back down his alfalfa intake and that behavior goes away. Since alfalfa is low in sugar and high in protein, I attribute my horse's edginess to too much protein in his diet, which is now effecting his metabolism, instead of just helping him rebuild/recover/keep weight on through the winter. If my horse was in steady work, instead of blobbing around in a pasture, he could probably keep eating that much alfalfa without any problems, but he's not, so I have to make changes to keep myself, my BO and bingy-boy sane and happy. I suggested maybe the OP should check protein out as a possible cause why her horse startles easily. Best thing would be to have a blood test done to see where the horse's levels are at. If nothing else, you can eliminate that as a possible cause.
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem