The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

My biggest fear is that now that "the most popular vest" comes as a certified model, that TPTB will suddenly change the rules on us requiring a certified vest. (always had a feeling that it was because of Tipps that the requirement for certified wasn't there for vests).

PLEASE if any TPTB are listening, PLEASE don't make this a requirement! There's a HUGE difference between a certified helmet that you can buy for $50 and a certified vest at $400. That's more than 2 months of board (much less the cost of actually competing).
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I was wondering if anyone has tried this vest?

How does it compare to the original vest?

I am looking to replace my older Tipperary and I am trying to decide if I want to get the new certified version or stick to just getting a new one of the original model.
    ~"Three Phases, Two hearts, One Passion!"~
    Peppy's Sweet Thing & Sweet Dreamin'

I have one that I ordered at Rolex. I have not actually ridden in it yet (first show with the baby is this Sunday, eek!) but while it is a little more substantial than the old model, making it a little stiffer, it still feels comfortable. I am a big fan of the new elastic laces. I'm happy to report back after I've worn it if you like!

I have one that I bought at Rolex and have been wearing all summer/fall. I can say that it looks a little bigger and bulkier on the rack, but it feels flexible and sort of conforms to you once it's on. A friend of mine commented on how the high neck looks uncomfortable to her, but it hasn't bothered me and I appreciate that it covers my collar bones. I haven't compared the old and new side to side, but it seems that there is a little more area covered by the new vest than the old one.

I like the laces much better, and the keyholes for the laces are not any sort of metal.
    The best is yet to come

Has anyone who ordered this vest from a regular retailer after Rolex received it? I ordered one, but haven't received it yet - it's been endlessly backordered.

I also have one that I bought at Rolex. I did not have the old style Tipp, so I can't comment on the difference. But I do like it much better than my old vest-- an airowear.

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    My biggest fear is that now that "the most popular vest" comes as a certified model, that TPTB will suddenly change the rules on us requiring a certified vest. (always had a feeling that it was because of Tipps that the requirement for certified wasn't there for vests).

PLEASE if any TPTB are listening, PLEASE don't make this a requirement! There's a HUGE difference between a certified helmet that you can buy for $50 and a certified vest at $400. That's more than 2 months of board (much less the cost of actually competing).
    You're getting 2 months of board for less than $400?? Color me jealous.

2 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

There are certified vests that are much cheaper out there. Lami-Cell makes one as done a Chinese company. These are both less than $150 and are Level 3 certified.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Well it's cheaper than the vest I want...

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Kan_Body...r_p/170267.htm

And those that think the higher neck on the Tip will protect your collar bone are a bit off. As someone who has broken theirs...twice. The typical breaking of a collar bone for riders comes when we hit the ground on the side on our shoulder. That is what pops your collar bone.....not a direct blow to the collar bone. So the ones with the shoulder pads coming over the cap of the shoulder are the vests that are actually doing the most protection for your collar bone.

That said...I have two older Tip vest...and love how comfortable they are....and bet the new ones are pretty comfortable as well.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Agreed with viney -- you can get a certified vest for less than $200.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdead View Post
    Has anyone who ordered this vest from a regular retailer after Rolex received it? I ordered one, but haven't received it yet - it's been endlessly backordered.
    I placed a custom order (yellow, yay!) with Bit of Britain at Rolex and got it about 8 weeks later, which was longer than predicted but I still got it...

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Agreed with viney -- you can get a certified vest for less than $200.
    You can buy from the companies that do the R & D or you can buy from the companies that rip the technology ... <shrug>

OK, my review after wearing it this weekend...

It's definitely more substantial than the original model, which isn't surprising due to the overlapping layers of foam. I suspect that this will also make it somewhat hotter to wear (it was in the 60's and raining at my horse trial, so I didn't really have to worry about that this time). That said, I think it is more comfortable than the original model, at least for me...the original model always wanted to ride up on me and leave a big gap over my collarbones. The new one doesn't do that. The one thing I need to get used to is the length...I had the tall size in the original model because I like to feel like my stomach is covered - even though I probably should have worn a regular. The rep convinced me that I should buy the regular size in the new model, which is going to take some getting used to. Overall, however, I'm happy with it!

1 members found this post helpful.

I've been waiting for the Tipperary Eventer Pro to be restocked at Dover, so I can see how they fit. But, it's been months and months now... Is there a manufacturing issue or something?

Just curious -- if you had to replace your current vest, what would you buy? I currently have a Charles Owen that I'll be replacing this spring (probably not with another Charles Owen. Am leaning towards Aeroware...)

Aeroware
    Charles Owen
    Point Two
    Rodney Powell
    Tipperary - Eventer Pro
    Tipperary - Other?

1 members found this post helpful.

I did end up ordering the new certified version of the Tipperary vest to replace my old one.

However, I have been told that it is still waiting to pass through customs in Canada. So I don't have it yet

I will update as soon as I get it in and the first planned XC schooling for me will be in March.
    ~"Three Phases, Two hearts, One Passion!"~
    Peppy's Sweet Thing & Sweet Dreamin'