The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Thornhill saddle info

I'm shopping for a new jump saddle and I've come across the Thornhill saddles. They seem to meet a lot of requirements that I have (price, style, size, etc) but I'm having a lot of trouble finding a place that would allow a trial or a demo ride in them. I don't know of any reps or fitters in my area (upstate NY) or my barn's area (NY/CT border) to contact to help me out. I found some great pricing on two of the models I'm looking at but they have a no refund/exchange policy and I'm not buying anything that I can't sit in or try on my guy.

Does anyone have suggestions on where/who I should try to trial/demo these saddles? Ideally I would be able to get both models I'm interested in from the same place but I am willing to deal with two separate places if I have to.

I'm looking at the LeMonde II and the Platinum 24K Event.

Thanks in advance!

http://www.trumbullmtn.com/
    Trumbull Mountain sometimes has Thornhill and will work with you.
    What's Horsie in the Twin Tiers? Find out here:
    http://thetwintiershorse.blogspot.com/

Former user name: GilbertsCreeksideAcres

Talk to Cordia Pearson at www.saddlefitter.com

Cordia has the Platinum on her site and it looks like you might be able to trial it. http://www.saddlefitter.com

She's a great fitter and has helped me tremendously even through photographs.

I bought a 24k off of another cother a few months ago. I couldn't be happier. I love, love, love it. Super soft grippy leather. Puts you in the right position. Fits my tall, very round horse perfectly.

I'm not sure what you need but we have a Thornhill Germania Coco available for trial at Trumbull Mtn.

Here is a link to the above mentioned Thornhill:

http://www.trumbullmtn.com/store/dem...nia-coco-17-m/

The Le Monde looks nice... Does anyone know if you can get one made in black?

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    I have spoken to them about custom options and they were amenable to it, the upcharge was I think $100 extra and the wait was 10 weeks.

"Black by special order" is listed for some of the saddles on their website, so I suspect you could apply this to most models BUT expect it to be a special order & thus a "committed sale"
    I'd call & talk

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    I have spoken to them about custom options and they were amenable to it, the upcharge was I think $100 extra and the wait was 10 weeks.
    Really?! I expected it to be much more for some reason. I'd be OK with that.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have 2 different saddles on trial that I'll be sitting in tomorrow (not Thornhill). I'm still hung up on the Lemonde though and think I really want to try that one. I would be ok ordering one to my horse's specs if only I could find one to sit in first! That's proving to be very difficult.

I'm shopping for a new jump saddle and I've come across the Thornhill saddles. They seem to meet a lot of requirements that I have (price, style, size, etc) but I'm having a lot of trouble finding a place that would allow a trial or a demo ride in them.
    My go-to Thornhill rep is Cordia at saddlefitter.com, but if she doesn't have a suitable demo, you can usually find one through Pinnacle Horseware and/or Galloping Grape.
    http://shop.pinnaclehorseware.com/Th...?categoryId=-1

http://gallopinggrape.com/search.aspx?manufacturer=10

Edit: I'm editing this post since I just scoped out the Le Monde II at Equine Affaire and got some things clarified. The short version is that I like their Thornhill Paris II dual flap saddle a whole lot more than I like the Le Monde II, and I also like their Thornhill Platinum 24K Event. I am still not crazy about the panel design on the Le Monde II, particularly that it doesn't have a very wide bearing surface across the center of the saddle. I would be surprised if horses don't object, over time, to this design.

My comments below continue to apply to the old Le Monde I and the early run of the Le Monde II, which was a total botch (slick leather, billets that were run from the tree downward instead of being attached to the bottom of the flap which is good in theory but didn't work for that unusually curvy tree, etc.). The Le Monde II is a serviceable knockoff of the higher-end French monoflaps. I still think you're getting a more thoughtful design for your money from their Paris II dual flap, which is not simply a dual flap version of the Le Monde but a totally different saddle.

Okay, complaints about the older LeMondes:

--pommel arch is fairly low and the rise to the pommel is shallow, which leaves little to no room for the withers found on most horses/breeds that are popular with eventers. And the thin French-style foam panels won't do you any favors in the wither clearance department either. Obviously this gripe falls away if you're trying to fit a wide-load horse (which is one reason that Duett Saddles, famous for their good fit on wide horses, sells a very close cousin of the LeMonde monoflap).

--most monoflaps have a wide base across the seat bones, which helps create comfort and stability. The seat base on the LeMonde is unusually narrow. Normally I would say "well that's fine, I guess, as long as you're a pencil-thin rider with a tiny little behind," but those riders are screwed too because the tree/flaps are engineered such that the medium twist actually rides more like a medium-wide twist. Which some people do like. But again, this leaves us with a saddle that's basically ideal for wide-load horses and tall, thin people who don't mind a fairly wide twist. And those people are out there. But it's a pretty small group, and there's a lot of people who are clearly interested in the LeMonde because it's a cheap monoflap and not because they're tall thin people with wide-load horses.

--be careful about whether you're trying the newer LeMonde monoflap or the older ones. The newer ones have a more thoughtful cantle design that's less confining/more reminiscent of high-end French monoflaps. The old ones had this idiotically high, confining cantle (which is still part of the Thornhill Germania Spring, but I forgive it in the Germania Spring because the Spring also has a naturally forward flap so that your leg won't get crammed up against the knee roll as your butt/pelvis is naturally pushed forward by the high cantle.)

Like I said, I like many of the other Thornhill products. Thornhill has enormous diversity in fit and tree design. The new, rebooted Platinum 24K XCH event is a tough saddle to put your hands on but is a very nice. The 24K XCH is reminiscent in design of the Pessoa Legacy lineup, with wool flocked panels.

If you can't find it, the Pessoa Legacy Event is substantially similar and has the bonus of having an XCH changeable gullet. I think Equus Now had one in demo condition. They also had a Pessoa Monoflap in demo condition in 17.5", but it may be slightly out of your price range at $1800.

I don't know of any reps or fitters in my area (upstate NY) or my barn's area (NY/CT border) to contact to help me out. I found some great pricing on two of the models I'm looking at but they have a no refund/exchange policy and I'm not buying anything that I can't sit in or try on my guy.
    If you're lucky enough to live in that area, which is a saddle fitter's paradise, I'm surprised that you're not working with a local fitter who can bring you other brands to try. There's definitely good representation in your area for Smith Worthington, Kent and Masters, Thorowgood, and other brands that might fit nicely in your price range (I'm assuming that if you're shopping Thornhill, your budget is in the neighborhood of $1000-$1800). Kate Athanas-Wilson of Dutchess Saddle and Bridle, and a couple of other fitters based in southern Vermont and even southern New Hampshire, almost certainly come to your area. You might even be in the coverage area for certain Pennsylvania fitters. And given your budget range and tastes, which seem to skew toward the covered-leather luxury items, I'd be awfully excited about the Smith Worthington Stellar Altair.

A final note: if I were shopping low-end monoflaps, my money would go to the Kent and Masters S-Series Monoflap--an amazing value for the money at $1600 with its changeable gullet, wool flocking, and excellent British-style design--or the Pessoa XCH Monoflap, which if you're a crafty shopper can be had for well under $2000. JMHO as usual. If you can't get the K&M S-Series Monoflap locally, I'm guessing that NCSaddleFitter (another COTHer but also a saddle fitter) could get you one, as could Lynda at classicsaddlery.com.

Really?! I expected it to be much more for some reason. I'd be OK with that.
    All of the Thornhills are Argentine-made products contracted through Jorge Canaves, who make contract products for a wide variety of brands. So it's not really a big deal for them to swap out leather colors. They do it pretty much on the daily to suit their wide range of contract clients.

I'll simply say that if you go that route and don't adore the saddle, expect a difficult resell. A black, low-end monoflap is going to have a pretty confined market of buyers. Most buyers in the sub-$1200 price range are looking for something versatile enough to go in the H/J ring as well, and the few buyers in the sub-$1200 price range who are looking for monoflaps will often heed the wisdom of buying an older, high-end, dual-flapped saddle rather than a low-end monoflap with the design challenges I describe above. If you must dump it after purchase, try something like an Ebay auction with no returns.
    Last edited by jn4jenny; Sep. 12, 2013 at 03:02 PM.

Thank you so much for your insights! I think I let the LOOK of the LeMonde get the better of me, which is why I was going bananas trying to find one to try. In reality, I just want a saddle that will work for me, my horse and my budget.

I have been hesitant to go through a saddle fitter due to my budget mostly and just my inexperience. The K&M (which I have looked at and do like) are at the very top of my budget and I guess I thought that a fitter wouldn't want to work with someone with a low budget. This is my first horse and i've never worked with one before.

I will look into a fitter and some of the other suggestions you've given me. Thank you very much for your time & insight!

I have another question on the Thornhills, for those who seem to really know them...or any other brands really...

How flat or curved are the trees (panels) on their saddles? I recently got a new dressage saddle for my horse that we both love, but it definitely showed me that he needs a flatter tree. So now I'm on the hunt for a jump saddle with the same type fit. The dressage saddle is an Albion SLK with the Flat Tree, I'm hoping to find a jump saddle for under $1K (used of course) since I wasn't really planning to buy a new saddle, let alone two this year!

One other thing, I have a very long leg (5'11" and all leg), currently ride in an Ainsley Pro National which I adore, but I can now see how it rocks a little on my guy...

Thanks!
    TPR!
    Thoroughbred Placement Resources, Inc
    www.goodhorse.org

Quote Originally Posted by DarkJewelDesigns View Post
    Thank you so much for your insights! I think I let the LOOK of the LeMonde get the better of me, which is why I was going bananas trying to find one to try. In reality, I just want a saddle that will work for me, my horse and my budget.
    I have been hesitant to go through a saddle fitter due to my budget mostly and just my inexperience. The K&M (which I have looked at and do like) are at the very top of my budget and I guess I thought that a fitter wouldn't want to work with someone with a low budget. This is my first horse and i've never worked with one before.
    If you are truly willing to go up to the $1400-$1600 range, some saddle fitters will carry appropriate products and/or have demo stock. I do recommend calling them and telling them about your budget, and they can review what products/demos they have in stock at that budget point. Some fitters do tend to concentrate in the $2000+ range.

As for a low budget, the K&M lineup has VERY close synthetic cousins in the Thorowgood T8 lineup. Those retail around $850, so they're very comfortably in your budget.

Of course, at $1200-$1600, used saddles would be a great value and you'd have a fairly wide selection. The trouble is finding someone to point you to the right ones for your horse's topline and your body + riding discipline of choice. And alas, I am on sabbatical from that recommendation ballgame this month, but I'm sure other COTHers would shoot you some suggestions if you posted pictures.

Thumbs up I am a proud Thornhill Le Monde owner!

Crossing over from H/J world- I saw this thread a few days ago but never logged in to add my two cents. haha

I recently purchased the Le Monde II. I LOVE it! I have had it since January (so I cannot speak for it's durability yet). I saw that they made an XW tree so I decided to try it for my tank of a horse (even the 36" Duett was too narrow). The gullet on the XW Le Monde measures about 6.5". I tried EVERYTHING to fit my horse and this was bar none the best (on a budget and NOT custom). I didn't get a trial for the saddle but I did buy it from an ebay seller and did have the option of returning it in new condition if it didn't fit my horse (which was nice since I wasted money on 5 others!).

I really liked the look of the saddle but I wasn't crazy about buying a monoflap, with that said, I have no complaints... well, actually just one. The leather is grippy, break in time minimal and it accepted oil great but it has a plastic/rubber type smell. I assume this is from the underside of the flap (whatever it's made of). The saddle itself puts me in a really good position- it actually fits me- I am tall (5'10" with long legs). So considering I am hard to fit, my horse is hard to fit, and I was on a budget I felt like this was a great find.

Good luck on your hunt! The Le Monde is certainly worth another look

ETA: My horse has a very flat back- I don't think the panels are very upswept (curvy) because I know it would rock like crazy on my horses back if they were

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by echodecker View Post
    How flat or curved are the trees (panels) on their saddles? I recently got a new dressage saddle for my horse that we both love, but it definitely showed me that he needs a flatter tree. So now I'm on the hunt for a jump saddle with the same type fit.
    Thanks!
    I think the tree shape varies between saddles. I bought a Germania Spring jump saddle for a flat-backed Thoroughbred mare, but it bridges horribly on my dippy-backed gelding. A friend of mine has the Paris jump saddle, and it has a much curvier tree. I think you can predict this from good photos of the saddles.

OP, is it a Thornhill you want, or is it a monoflap that's tickled your fancy? If it's the monoflap, you should shoot me a pm, as I have a high-end monoflap that might suit you for no more, or maybe less, $ than a brand-new Thornhill .
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!