The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Professional" gamblers -- I need some to interview!

I've been assigned to do a package of news stories about betting for an upcoming issue of our local newspaper chain here in northern Virginia.
    What with the Virginia Gold Cup to be offering parimutuel wagering next month, my editors thought it would be good to do stories on:
    1. How to wager (on jump races, a wee bit different than the flats)
    2. Reading-the-form tips (which will be all the more interesting because the 'form' will of course not reflect a horse's point to point form, not always but sometimes pertinent)
    3. I want to also do a side feature on some people who make their living at gambling -- Andy Beyer comes to mind, maybe the olde-time Indian Charlie and others from the far off past.
    Can anybody give me any insight?
    Stream-of-conciousness free association all the way up to telephone numbers for anybody I might talk to about any of the above!
    TIA!!
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
    I've been assigned to do a package of news stories about betting for an upcoming issue of our local newspaper chain here in northern Virginia.

What with the Virginia Gold Cup to be offering parimutuel wagering next month, my editors thought it would be good to do stories on:
    It should be an interesting article.

The difficulty being as you said that "jump wagering" is almost a foreign concept today here in the US. The Times Union newspaper in Albany NY did an interesting story a few years ago on steeplechase races at Saratoga and how smaller the wagering pools were. Folks who typically wagered at Spa, but didn't on these races, saw it as either a novelty or felt they lacked the knowledge to make a credible wager.

That said I assume that unlike 'chasing dropped in for a single (or maybe at best a couple of races) during a days worth of flat track racing these will be end to end chasing. So the fans in attendance are likely rather savvy with the ins and outs of jump racing. Add to that a quick glance at the standings (because this is such a tight if not small community of owners/trainers/jocks) can tip ones hand to see if say a particular barn is on a hot streak.

I'd be curious to know who will set the morning line and level of insight will be provided.

I handicap races in NY almost every day of the year and do the jumpers during the Saratoga meet, but I admit I know far less about betting the jumpers that the "flat " runners. Hve you contacted the Clancy's? They are my go-to folks for all things 'chasing.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Right - absolutely love the Clancys. And they are very responsive to personal messages.

I'd think looking on the DRF for gambling contest reports, you might get some idea of the associations or organizations that host them - perhaps get a name or two and try contacting the winners? Or try googling gambling/horse racing/handicapping blogs...
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Of course. Sean lives quite near me and I work regularly with them.
    I wanted actual gamblers (they're not, particularly!)
    Excellent info -- Linny, might I call on you for a bit of insight on your Saratoga experiences?
    Peg - great idea! I'm so not-a-bettor I ddin't even know about the contests.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Hunter's Rest, feel free to PM me.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique